7 replies to this topic

#1 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:22 AM

Hi guys - new question.

I've turned my PNGs into DDS files and I also created diffuse and normal textures. But when I open the template material editor and click "browse" for any of those files there simply no files or folder. Even if I navigate to My Documents there is nothing. No folders, no files.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is this a bug?

#2 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:51 AM

Did you put them in the Textures folder of your addon file?

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#3 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Mar 24 2011, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. The file browser doesn't even see the texture it's actually using. There are no files at all, even in folder where there should be lots of files. blink.gif

#4 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Mar 24 2011, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That got me thinking, though, so I typed the file name in and it works. The file browser just seems to be broken. I guess I can work around that, but is this a known issue or only happening for me?

#5 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

It's normal to see no files or folders in my documents, the texture file browser will only accept files from within ms file structure, but you should see files within addons.

#6 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:44 AM

I have mentioned this exact problem before, I have always had to type the path manually because the browser shows empty when it is not. I think the browser fails to refresh, I have found that sometimes when I restart modshop the files display in the browser, just not immediately after importing a model using the sketchup importer.

#7 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

I think this might be to do with the Cal material files, the CRF files, modshop uses these I think for info on where textures are stored, in fact i think this is all they are used for as by default the sketchup importer doesn't even create any.

Thus if when importing things using the sketchup importer you leave everything default no CRF files are even created, but if you tick the option for 'generate CRF files' then they are and possibly then the browser will work, though can be still tricky finding where they are within the Modshops browser structure.

As KV says, the best way to is to type in the correct path yourself and as much as possible to follow MS's file path method if you are creating props manually with for example Milkshape.

So for example if you import a prop using sketchup the textures for it would be in:

YourAddonName/data/props/Yourpropname/Textures/

so simply make sure you DDS version of the texture is placed there too and then in the modshop all you need do is change the texture name and make sure it ends is .dds instead of .png

Also for costume retextures I have found you dont even need the full install path name, often you only need 'costumes/costumefoldername/textures/texturename.dds' and MS will know from this wher it is.

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

I think it is failing to find textures that are in a different addon to the prop (or the bit of the prop it thinks it is working on).
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd