• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 POVMachinima

POVMachinima

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

I would like to make a new sitting pose- specifically for the Chair_Armchair_01. Is there a way to extract the mesh from MS and get it into the modeling software for positioning the puppet correctly?

And would the sitting pose be imported into MS the same way as demonstrated in the video tutorial (advanced modding 5). Would IDLE be the start and stop animation or something else?
Formerly Decorgal Productions.

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

Go to this section of the forums. Moviestorm released all the puppet skeletons for the modders to use. You can find out all about how to do this in this section of the forum.

http://www.moviestor...mp;showforum=49

They work best if you can use 3ds Max and yes you can create new animations for the existing puppets.

#3 POVMachinima

POVMachinima

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

I've already played with the skeleton in 3ds Max and spent the past hour searching/looking through the forums for answers to my specific questions (I think you misread or I didn't articulate well my question- I already know new animations can be made). I couldn't find what I was looking for and it's possible I missed the answer in the search. I usually spend a lot of time looking before posting for help.

#4 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

I dont think there is, as far as I know they only released the skeletons in the 'IDLE' pose, and I think a 'T' skinning pose for Blender.

Having said that, Reacher did THIS gun animation mod that gives additional gun animations that follow on from existing ones, not sure how he did it so Reacher might be able to answer your question the best.

One possible way I thought of was to take a screenshot from within MS of your acting in the default sitting pose (Or whatever pose it is that you need to follow on from), then use this to re-create the pose as closely as possible in your modeling software and then create your new sitting pose anim from it.

Now in MS it wont be perfect, you would see the slight change from the official MS sitting pose to your own re-created one as your animation started, but could use an appropriate camera angle cut/change at the exact same point to mask it.

#5 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

There would be two ways to do this
1) Create a Character / Seat verb for the animation, like the current MS sitting animations where you click on the chair and tell the puppet to sit.

I haven't experimented much with the animations that interact with static props, but it is probably done by creating a "New Character / Seat (Sit)" verb for the sit down animation, and a "New Character / Seat (Stand)" verb for getting up animation. The sit down would start in IDLE and end in your custom state, the get up would start in your custom state and end in IDLE.

2) Create a Character Solo animation, where the character just goes into a sit animation and you just happen to have placed a chair on the set where they are sitting ;-)

This would be much easier to animate, and configure in the Modder's workshop. It would require a bit of extra work on the set to line up your puppet before performing the animation.

Unless you are planning to release this as a paid mod, or it is going to be a signature animation used often by your character(s), I would recommend option 2.

-- Reacher

#6 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

And, I had not ignored your request for figuring out how to match your animation to the chair; I was thinking on a solution that would work for everyone and not violate any MS proprietary meshes.

So, I give you Reacher's Ruler:

A 2 meter ruler prop that you can use to determine the scale of in program items. Use the gizmo to line the ruler up with what you need to measure.

Also in the Addon/R_Ruler/Data/Props/Ruler directory is a Wavefront (.obj) version of the ruler, in case you want to import it into your favorite 3D editor for MS scaling.

You can snag the addon here: R_Ruler

-- Reacher

#7 POVMachinima

POVMachinima

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for all your advice guys. Reacher, that ruler is a great idea! Thanks so much for that. I'm sure others would find it helpful too.

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

Chairs in Moviestorm have a 'Sitting bone' that has the name of an animation state (eg SITTING_LOW). This bone is set up so that it's parent bone is at floor height.
When you mouse over a chair, the blue hand/finger points to where the sitting bone is, and then when you select the 'sit' option, Moviestorm finds an animation that goes from IDLE to [the state specified for that sitting bone].

At the moment this basically means that you only get to have one sit down animation per chair, that uses this system.
If you wanted to make a new sitting pose, you could create a solo verb, so that the character sits down in mid air (and then manipulate marks on set, so that they are in a suitable position).
Or you could make a new chair (with the relevant sitting bone set to the new sitting pose), and let the code handle the sitdown.
Note - you would need a standup animation too.

Alternatively you might want to make a new sitting pose that is just an animation that takes the character from the old sitting pose to the new one. This would require having a copy of the old sitting pose - I'm not sure if they are available, though.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd