• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Angelus

Darth Angelus

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

Is it possible to apply an animated texture to an object? What I've done so far is use an animated gif but all it's done is use the first frame.

I know making the surface play video might be more effective but I also need to use transparency for the effect I'm trying to achieve.

#2 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

What sort of animation are you after? You can create some interesting effects with the UVanimation options in modders workshop.

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#3 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

There is no support for animated gif's I'm afraid, but we do have UV animation. There are basically two sorts of UV animation - linear and jump.
If you have the Sci-Fi pack, you can see linear UV animations on a lot of the consoles (moving light pulses). This is basically just sliding the image across the object, and works with an object that is built normally.

If you have the SongContest pack, you can see the jump UV animation at work with the LEDScreens. These objects are built so that the UV map for the screen is much narrower than normal. The LED Screen Fire, for example, has a UV map that is 1/16th of the normal width of the image, and the image used on it has 16 frames. The UV map then jumps by a 16th of the image each frame, thus providing the equivilent of an animated picture.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#4 Darth Angelus

Darth Angelus

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jan 4 2012, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have the SongContest pack, you can see the jump UV animation at work with the LEDScreens. These objects are built so that the UV map for the screen is much narrower than normal. The LED Screen Fire, for example, has a UV map that is 1/16th of the normal width of the image, and the image used on it has 16 frames. The UV map then jumps by a 16th of the image each frame, thus providing the equivilent of an animated picture.

This sounds like what I'm aiming for, I will take a look at the LEDScreens to see how they work. Thankyou smile.gif