• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:30 AM

Another quick guide on how to make your own chair sittable in Moviestorm.
First off make the height of the seat part of the chair 500mm from the ground in Sketchup also make sure the chair is facing the same way as the chair in the second picture below (In Sketchup), notice the arrows, now import your chair and change it from a prop to a seat then select bones, scroll down to just sitting and select it, now save and publish as normal if all goes to plan your characters should now be able to sit in your chair.
NOTE: Some times for what ever reason this work around does not work, but can start working if you redo the whole procedure again, well it has for me in the past.
(I also used a standard MS chair for this tutorial)

Regards
David

http://i158.photobuc...dadw/chair1.jpg

http://i158.photobuc...dadw/chair2.jpg

UPDATE INFORMATION FROM BEN_S
QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jun 3 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks like the orientation of the chair bones is very significant now.

However, if you have a non-animated prop (such as any sketchup import), then you can change the skeleton without any ill effects.

It is thus possible to use a skeleton that was designed for one of the other chairs in your new prop.

This involves finding the props folder after you have imported it, in a file browser.

Look for the .csf file - that is the skeleton for your prop.

Delete that skeleton, and replace it with a skeleton from a working chair (eg the attached file - no need to change the filename after you have unziped it).

Go to the modders workshop and edit the prop type to Chair, and set the bone up for the sitting pose (as previously described). Republish.

Hopefully it should then work.

Edited by davidwww, 06 June 2009 - 12:45 AM.
turned inline images into links until we can fix the issue - Lisa

Moviestorm still Number One

#2 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:05 AM

Very nice David. Thank you. Unfortunately, though, I think I might have missed a step. You're pictures have stretched the text off the right side of the screen. Thanks again.

#3 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (AngriBuddhist @ May 27 2009, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice David. Thank you. Unfortunately, though, I think I might have missed a step. You're pictures have stretched the text off the right side of the screen. Thanks again.

Me too, about the text... I'm not sure if it's a MSIE thing or what? Do other browsers see the complete text?
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#4 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:56 AM

I'm using Firefox. It's probably a forum issue.

#5 DAK13

DAK13

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:56 AM

I see missing text also.....my question is how do you get the arrows to rotate??

#6 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (DAK13 @ May 27 2009, 04:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see missing text also.....my question is how do you get the arrows to rotate??

I'm thinking I'm getting the same problem... I have red and blue arrows on the floor, and since I'm not seeing the green arrow, I'm assuming it's pointing downwards (covered by the floor). Do I need to build my chair upside down in Sketchup, then import it?
(edit... didn't work, just imported upside down... I guess I expected that? laugh.gif )

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#7 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

Well that's weird as I can see every thing perfectly clear?

Regards
David

#8 DAK13

DAK13

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (davidwww @ May 27 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well that's weird as I can see every thing perfectly clear?

Regards
David

You resized the pictures.......Now about the arrows question!!

#9 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

I haven't done a thing? and as for the arrows you have to have the same orientation in Sketchup so you have to face your chair as per the picture save and then import to the workshop, sorry I should have been a bit clearer.

Regards
David

#10 DAK13

DAK13

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (davidwww @ May 27 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't done a thing? and as for the arrows you have to have the same orientation in Sketchup so you have to face your chair as per the picture and then import to the workshop, sorry I should have been a bit clearer.

Regards
David

Now I thought that might be the case and tried that and it didnt work.....could be something I did wrong and will try again later!!

#11 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

It can be a bit hit and miss some times the Star Trek chairs took a couple of goes before they went right, the first time the character sat down they were upside down in the chair and facing side ways, I should have taken a screen shot laugh.gif

Regards
David

#12 Guest_yolise_*

Guest_yolise_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:19 PM

I've turned the images into links for now. The forums were designed ot use a liquid layout and don't seem to accommodate fixed layouts. We'll have to come up with a fix for this...

#13 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

The sitting pose you choose for the sitting bone should be dependant on the chair height and which sitting animations they play.

SITTING_LOW is for sofas and beds
SITTING is for dining chairs and computer chairs
SITTING_HIGH is for stools (you will need the Coffeeshop content pack)
SITTING_HIGH/LEAN is for stools (you will need the StandUp content pack)
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#14 DAK13

DAK13

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (davidwww @ May 27 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It can be a bit hit and miss some times the Star Trek chairs took a couple of goes before they went right, the first time the character sat down they were upside down in the chair and facing side ways, I should have taken a screen shot laugh.gif

Regards
David

Still cant get it to work right.....i changed the axis in sketchup but still doesnt line up when I import

#15 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

David, this is so useful, thanks for taking the time.
cheers

#16 DAK13

DAK13

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:59 PM

Did anyone get the axis right and if so how.....I have tried turning them many different ways but everytime I import they are the same

#17 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

If you look at the chair bones, you will notice a "bone 1" with no sit defined and a "bone 2" with a sit defined. This probably has a lot to do with it. A sketchup import only has a bone called "root".

#18 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE (DAK13 @ May 27 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did anyone get the axis right and if so how.....I have tried turning them many different ways but everytime I import they are the same

I get the same thing... I had noticed what rampa mentioned- thinking the same thing... but I don't NUTHIN' 'bout this stuff! rolleyes.gif The result I get is with the character "sitting" with his right half above ground, and his left half below (anyone remember "The Phildelphia Experiment"? blink.gif )...

What I find as the easiest workaround is to create a "new" template of one the chairs (saved in a self-created addon), and make it invisible... and place the created chair (prop) in the same space as the "invisible to camera" chair (after having given the character its siting instructions).

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#19 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:44 AM

Its entirely possible that the latest update to MS has rendered my work around invalid, the last time I used it was with the Star Trek mod I made and the chairs worked perfectly and that was before the 1.5 update, so I sorry if you can't get this to work and may I suggest you do as Fulkster recommends and just make a chair template and make it invisible to the camera.

Regards
David

#20 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:27 AM

It looks like the orientation of the chair bones is very significant now.

However, if you have a non-animated prop (such as any sketchup import), then you can change the skeleton without any ill effects.

It is thus possible to use a skeleton that was designed for one of the other chairs in your new prop.

This involves finding the props folder after you have imported it, in a file browser.

Look for the .csf file - that is the skeleton for your prop.

Delete that skeleton, and replace it with a skeleton from a working chair (eg the attached file - no need to change the filename after you have unziped it).

Go to the modders workshop and edit the prop type to Chair, and set the bone up for the sitting pose (as previously described). Republish.

Hopefully it should then work.

Attached Files

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd