• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

Very interesting RGR. I copied your whole post and put it on a notepad so I can try to do this. Will let you know how it works out in my ext movie. Thanks a lot for the information.

#22 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE (corthew @ May 15 2011, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've done that manually in a few of my songs to separate the vocals from the music but how would I know if there was a "sweep" option? What would I look for.

The "sweep" I mentioned can be any number of things, including a knob that's called "sweep". It depends on the EQ.

In general though, a graphic EQ has individual slide pots (typically), set at regular intervals across a frequency spectrum. There is no "sweep" function here, but you can simulate it by setting all of the pots at "unity gain", which is usually marked, or if you have both positive and negative Db settings, it will be 0db. This will make the slide pots look like a straight line. Then just crank up one slide pot at a time and see if that is a sweet spot or not. If not, put it back to unity and move on to the next one.

A parametric EQ will have a frequency knob you can turn, but also a Q knob, which narrows or widens the frequency range being acted upon. To do a "sweep" with this sort of EQ, narrow the Q so it looks like a sharp point and crank up the gain, then step through the frequencies until you find the sweet spot(s).

Obviously, any EQ that is "sweepable" and has a knob for this will be easiest, just crank up the gain and sweep smile.gif Sometimes though, such EQs only allow sweeping in certain ranges, like the mids or highs. A parametric or good graphic EQ plugin or effect might give better range coverage.

Keep in mind though that the goal here is not to have a tall sharp gain boost in the sweet spot, we just create that to find the spot. Once we find the spot, you put the EQ back to something that makes sense, except, for the voice you give a slight bump at the sweet spots, and for the music you apply a slight reduction.

This is one of those things that's a lot easier to show than to explain sad.gif

If there is a commonly used audio program here that I can also use on my Mac, I'm happy to try and do a screencast (though I have never done one before).

I can try this in Audacity, but am not sure what sort of EQ capabilities it has.

Apologies if I'm not explaining this very well.

rgr

#23 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE (rgr @ May 14 2011, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is one of those things that's a lot easier to show than to explain sad.gif

If there is a commonly used audio program here that I can also use on my Mac, I'm happy to try and do a screencast (though I have never done one before).

I can try this in Audacity, but am not sure what sort of EQ capabilities it has.

Apologies if I'm not explaining this very well.

rgr

I'm attaching an screenshot of a song I'm working on in MixCraft 5 right now.

Apart from what is seen here, there are individual FX equalizer effects I can add to a track, that allow me to adjust the volumes of narrower ranges of frequencies uniformly over the entire track.

Here, each track shows Equalizer options for Hi, Mid, and Low.

I've never actually messed with the equalizer knobs on the mixer section.
I've always used the more detailed one.

I haven't seen a sweep option so I may not have one. Unless I've completely misunderstood you.

Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#24 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:48 AM

Actually, I suppose you'd need to see the two EQ's MixCraft provides.

I'm using the Acoustical EQ right now. I only pulled up the Classic EQ for the screenshot.

You know, MixCraft takes VST and DirectX plugins. Do you know of one that has a sweep option?

Free if possible, naturally.smile.gif

I'm searching right now.

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#25 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (corthew @ May 15 2011, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm attaching an screenshot of a song I'm working on in MixCraft 5 right now.

Apart from what is seen here, there are individual FX equalizer effects I can add to a track, that allow me to adjust the volumes of narrower ranges of frequencies uniformly over the entire track.

Here, each track shows Equalizer options for Hi, Mid, and Low.

I've never actually messed with the equalizer knobs on the mixer section.
I've always used the more detailed one.

I haven't seen a sweep option so I may not have one. Unless I've completely misunderstood you.

This EQ has what looks like fixed frequencies set for highs mids and lows, but I don't know the software so I don't know if you can change that. Typically, this sort of EQ has a fixed Q setting (this is the "width" of the attenuation) and a fixed center point frequency for each knob. It would be much better if you could change both the Q and the frequency, but you'd have to check your manual to see if/how that's possible.

I never heard of mix craft, so I don't know what to say there but I'll see if i can locate a free VST plugin somewhere. IF you can use VST, then it's probably the way to go. All of my EQ plugins are RTAS or AU, but I can have a play around with some VST pugins in Audacity to see if that works.

Does anybody know if a screencast using a VST plugin for Audacity will be useful for the same VST plugin in another audio system?

rgr

#26 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (corthew @ May 15 2011, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I suppose you'd need to see the two EQ's MixCraft provides.

I'm using the Acoustical EQ right now. I only pulled up the Classic EQ for the screenshot.

You know, MixCraft takes VST and DirectX plugins. Do you know of one that has a sweep option?

Free if possible, naturally.smile.gif

I'm searching right now.

OK, well these are graphic EQs but they don't have a lot of "bands" to play around with there, which is often the case. Can you select which frequencies each band is on?

#27 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (rgr @ May 15 2011, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, well these are graphic EQs but they don't have a lot of "bands" to play around with there, which is often the case. Can you select which frequencies each band is on?

I found a plugin that looks like it should work, but audacity is definitely not the tool for this. I'm not sure what free software will allow for real time EQ to work. does anybody have any suggestions?

#28 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

OK, so she's guilty of copyright violation. Like that's any better. I notice she hasn't yet contacted JCO's literary agent.

NOW PLAYING: SUGAR BABES, Episode 7: "The Old-Fashioned Way Is Still Best"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102176

#29 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (grouchobeer @ May 15 2011, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, so she's guilty of copyright violation. Like that's any better. I notice she hasn't yet contacted JCO's literary agent.

And I notice you avoided the question about writing a book report.

#30 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (rgr @ May 15 2011, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found a plugin that looks like it should work, but audacity is definitely not the tool for this. I'm not sure what free software will allow for real time EQ to work. does anybody have any suggestions?

What is the plugin?

MixCraft is pretty versatile with VST plugins.

I've tried a couple since my last reply to you.

I'm attaching a screenshot of one that seems decent. I think I am beginning to understand what you were saying about 'Q'. Adobe Premiere Elements has an equalizer that graphs the frequencies over an entire clip and for each frequency point you choose, there is a horizontal line that defines the range of frequencies for that point.
I don't like using Elements for audio editing though because it's too memory intensive in other areas and its hard to get the audio and video to work together in realtime until its rendered out.

#31 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

This is the short screencast I made to explain this technique.

I did try to do this in Audacity using the BlueCat Triple EQ VST plugin, but Audacity can't apply effects in real time, and the preview was't working for me, so this became very tedious. This screencast demonstrates the technique using pro tools, but the idea is the same in any system.

There is an annoying watermark in this vide as I used a demo version of the screencast software, and I'm not impressed with it (for a lot of reasons), so I won't be buying it. Therefore, the watermark is permanent. sad.gif

Oh well. Please let me know if this is at all useful.

rgr

#32 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (rgr @ May 15 2011, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the short screencast I made to explain this technique.

I did try to do this in Audacity using the BlueCat Triple EQ VST plugin, but Audacity can't apply effects in real time, and the preview was't working for me, so this became very tedious. This screencast demonstrates the technique using pro tools, but the idea is the same in any system.

There is an annoying watermark in this vide as I used a demo version of the screencast software, and I'm not impressed with it (for a lot of reasons), so I won't be buying it. Therefore, the watermark is permanent. sad.gif

Oh well. Please let me know if this is at all useful.

rgr

Cool. I found Blue Cat Triple during my quest. smile.gif

#33 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:09 AM

Ok, I watched it and it was very helpful smile.gif

Thanks.smile.gif

#34 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

I posted the link up in a new thread http://www.moviestor...p...c=11284&hl=

#35 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

Please - unless you are actually a copyright lawyer acting for one of the parties involved, or it's your own work that you're talking about - stop throwing around accusations of rights infringement.

The law is extremely complex, and varies widely from country to country. Even copyright lawyers and courts do not agree on what's legitimate and what isn't. I've been dealing with copyright issues professionally for 25 years, and I'd be very wary of declaring that something is illegal just by looking at it. Just last week, the US courts completely reversed their stance on using video clips taken from DVDs, and declared that using short clips in non-commercial pieces was not illegal.

In this case, what you're seeing is very likely to be covered by fair use. It's an adaptation of a set text, being done in an educational context. It's not commercial, and it's not being passed off as the film-maker's own work. That's the kind of thing that is most countries is considered legitimate.

Furthermore, there may be circumstances none of us is aware of. For all we know, the author has given permission for the work to be adapted in this way. The author (or rights holder) may already be aware of the piece and have decided to take no action because they appreciate the publicity.

Warning someone in a friendly way that what they're doing may be an infringement is fine. Stating that it is an infringement (or isn't) is something else entirely, especially if you don't know the full circumstances and aren't an expert in this area of the law.

So please, let's have an end to this. If there's an issue, leave it to the rights holders and their lawyers.

Thank you.
- Matt
The Moviestorm Team