• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:57 AM

This is what I've got so far: a copy of the Base rug that's been renamed, with navigable ticked. But I just don't see where to find the materials. For a puppet, I would expect them to be in this window.

Attached File  Screen_shot_2009_10_24_at_10.54.33_PM.png   255.67KB   7 downloads

#22 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:01 AM

Hi Will,

If you drill down until you get to the prop's template then click on that you will see a box open up at the bottom of the screen. You may have to drag that box up to actually see the materials listed for that template as they appear in a frame at the bottom of that box. Then if you click on them they open up another box where you selct the .dds file or whatever.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#23 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (willshetterly @ Oct 25 2009, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PapaG is ahead of me; I've got my copy of the rug made and I've ticked naviagable, but I don't see how to go into the template to find Materials. Help, please?

(I know where to find and change Materials in puppets, but I haven't done anything with props before.)

In templates folder of the mod its where u apply textures to materials. click on a material that has the texture you want to walk on the option is in the window that will pop up when opened

#24 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

This is great guys, I have successfully made the invisible platform to raise the puppet off ground. One problem I have though is that I cannot get the platform to move around when in the directors view using shift and drag, I have set navigable in the workshop but even though everything else on it is working fine the platform will not move around in directors view, any ideas? unsure.gif My puppet can walk around on it. Also if I enlarge the platform the puppet turns into a giant to, even if I build the platform first and enlarge it then select a puppet blink.gif

#25 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

yeah you also need to have the 'Moveable' option ticked in the properties of the Prop, the 'Navigable' and 'Nav Mesh' options are only for placing actors on props.

So just make sure both 'navigable' and 'moveable' are ticked in the prop properties, as well as 'nav mesh' on the material.

Also if I enlarge the platform the puppet turns into a giant to, even if I build the platform first and enlarge it then select a puppet

Yep there is no way round this currently, so if you want a surface your actor can walk on you have to make it big enough in sketchup and then import it at the new size, any scaling done in Set Build view will also cause the actor to scale.

How this will work when the code is finally finnished and officially added to MS only the SF gods know.. smile.gif

#26 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

Ah many thanks for that, its working perfectly, I gues I will make up 3 sizes of this for various situations. Thanks again for the help biggrin.gif

Oh and the Giant puppet could be great for a b-movie giant man/woman attacking a town flick lol

#27 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

First problem solved; thanks! I'm just such a Mac user that I forgot to keep clicking on the plus icons to find more folders.

But even after changing the materials, I seem to be doing something wrong, because I'm not getting the bunch of options that Rampa mentioned.

Under Properties, I have ticked Scalable, Mobile, Navigable, Can be walked on, and Can be stacked on.

Under Templates, I have z Float, Invisible to camera, and Nav Mesh ticked.

The published mod appears in MovieStorm, but I can't get a puppet to mesh with it.

Any suggestions?

#28 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

Ok the only one you need under properties is the 'Navigable' one, the 'Scaleable' and ' Moveable' can be ticked if you require it to move and/or to re-size the actor (Note re-sizing the actor will cause problems with walking and interactive animations).

The 'Can be walked on' is for things like normal rugs, so that when you click on them in Directors View you get the normal 'Place Here' or 'Move Here', you don't need this for the new Nav Mesh trick, and it may be conflicting, so I would Un-Tick it for your modded Nav Mesh rug.

Ok, assuming you have done this and re-published the mod here is exactly what you do in MS.

1) load you set/actors etc.

2) In Workshop View place your new modded Rug down on the set as normal and raise it to the height you want.

3) Now go to Directors View and click on the rug with the appropriate actor selected, you should see a 'Place Here' option, use it.

4) go back to Set build View, if you drag, raise, lower the rug now your actor should remain attached to it.

Well, I have only done this by creating a didcated flat plain prop via sketchup, but I would imagineit should also work with any prop.

Hope you manage to sort it.

#29 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

Success! Thanks y'all! Now I get to have too much fun experimenting with this...

I deselected 'Can be walked on' and 'Can be stacked on', so I dunno if either or both were the problem, but I have a magic carpet now.

#30 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

finding the Material editing box is not to difficult once you have found the prop under props, Expand it you should have 4 folder here on the expanded tree, the one you want to select is templates and once again expand tree there will be one Template for every type of prop object associated with this prop, edit the one you will be using.

when you have selected a template the options below on the master browser will change, and there will be two lists, a list of meshes and List of materials for that mesh.

the rug only has one material so your live is easy (but when it comes to more complicated structures you will have to go though the list to find the material you are looking for) select the material on the list and a new window should open for that material

Here you will find your a whole bunch of options including your Nave Mesh option you are looking for

I have Up Loaded a Short Video Tutorial on where you can Find it

Finding The Material Editor

Best of Luck
Gerald Lang

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#31 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:31 AM

PapaG, thanks for making that! I suspect it'll help some other people who are new to the props side of the modshop also.

#32 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (kv @ Oct 25 2009, 05:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah many thanks for that, its working perfectly, I gues I will make up 3 sizes of this for various situations. Thanks again for the help biggrin.gif

Oh and the Giant puppet could be great for a b-movie giant man/woman attacking a town flick lol

If you go check out my "RebirtH" movie, you will see 3 actors scaled up in size, and one down using that method. Its actually very handy!

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102594