• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 celestina

celestina

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

I have imported some models from Sketchup and they are 'read only' files.

Does this mean the designer doesn't want people to use their model?

This link will take you there: Celestina's Texture Collections ... COUNTRY COLLECTION Ready Now!

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (celestina @ Apr 15 2010, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have imported some models from Sketchup and they are 'read only' files.

Does this mean the designer doesn't want people to use their model?

Hum, that sounds strange. Can you give me a link to the files in the warehouse and I can check them out for you? I have never had a problem with anything I downloaded from the 3D warehouse.

#3 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

Never come across that one before blink.gif

The google warehouse is supposed to be a free exchange of models, if people did not want them being used then surely they would not get uploaded in the first place huh.gif

#4 celestina

celestina

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 15 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hum, that sounds strange. Can you give me a link to the files in the warehouse and I can check them out for you? I have never had a problem with anything I downloaded from the 3D warehouse.

Thank you so much Lucinda. Here's a model I was going to use that is telling me it's 'read only'.

'read only' kettle

The google warehouse is supposed to be a free exchange of models, if people did not want them being used then surely they would not get uploaded in the first place huh.gif

Yes KV, I thought this too. Perhaps it's my computer?

This link will take you there: Celestina's Texture Collections ... COUNTRY COLLECTION Ready Now!

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

It works OK for me in SketchUp 7.0.10247 Celestina.
If you are using windows then try right-clicking on the file in File Explorer, choosing 'properties' and in the 'general' tab make sure the 'read-only' box is deselected. You may have inadvertently saved it into a read-only folder and it could inherit that folder's properties.
Alternatively could you be be trying to open it with an old version of SketchUp?
Cheers.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:24 PM

Just tried it myself too, initially it said it was a read only file but it opened fine in sketchup anyway.

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

Works fine for me too. Do you have Sketchup 7? Or did you download it as Sketchup 7 and are using Sketchup 6?

#8 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:10 PM

I downloaded it as a Sketchup 6 model and opened it with SU7, no problem.

#9 celestina

celestina

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:39 AM

Thanks so much for your replies and for trying it out for me.

Lucinda, I have Sketchup 7 and downloaded as Sketchup 6.

Primaveranz - thank you, I have checked my folder properties and yes, it is a 'read only' folder. I don't seem to be able to change the properties of the folder (I have also been into the control panel too) but I can change the individual sketchup file options and deselect 'read only'. All my folders seem to be defaulted to 'read only' but I have not had this happen before. It's probably Vista being overprotective?

Thank you Armanus and Kv for trying them out too, I didn't want to use them if I was not allowed, now I can smile.gif

#10 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

When you open directly from downloading, you get the 'read only' pop up. It means nothing, just save it as normal. Or save it to the hard drive first, then open.

I think it's refering to the server copy online, which should be read only, but I'm not sure. In any case, ignore it. It means nothing.