• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

I've been trying to follow the guidance in the wiki to re-texture the rockstar head. The change in the directory structure means that things don't quite work as they did when the wiki was written as a lot of things are now under AddOns/ModdersWorkshop, and I'm having some difficulty in applying what the wiki says to what I'm trying to do.

I can see, via the Master Browser in the Modder's Workshop, that the 'rockstar head.bodypart' is here:
\AddOn\ModdersWorkshop\Data\Puppets\Male01

I can also see, via the Bodypart Material Editor, which diffuse texture is used:
Heads/Rockstar_Head/Textures/Rockstar_head_Diff.dds

(The textures are in
\AddOn\MusicVideo01Promo\Data\Puppets\Male01\Heads\Rockstar_Head\Textures)

What I want to do is to make a copy of 'rockstar head.bodypart' and use it as the basis of a new head, called harris_head, containing variants (one with a blackeye, and one without).

I've renamed the bodypart file (harris_blackeye_head.bodypart), edited the <nametag> in the new bodypart file and have created a directory for the addon. I've also edited the bodypart file to point at an alternative diffuse texture: Heads/Rockstar_Head/Textures/modded_Rockstar_head_Diff.dds

However, after that I'm not having much success. I've published packed and published the addon and have installed it, but it isn't showing up in the heads section of the character view.

What have I missed?

EDIT: I've applied the texture via the material editor, and was prompted to adjust the thumbnail view. After republishing (publish - pack - publish) and reinstalling, the head still doesn't show up as an option under the character view.

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

The easiest way to work out what is going wrong would be if you zip up your new addon that contains the new bodypart and new texture, and attach it to a reply post, then I can have a look inside and see what isnt right.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 4 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The easiest way to work out what is going wrong would be if you zip up your new addon that contains the new bodypart and new texture, and attach it to a reply post, then I can have a look inside and see what isnt right.

Hi Ben,

The files are in the rar, with paths (Windows).

Thanks

NB: it's actually a .rar file, but I renamed it to .zip because the forum upload thing told me I wasn't "allowed to upload this kind of file" when I tried to upload the .rar, so you may need to rename it :-)

Attached Files

#4 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (ed @ May 4 2010, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ben,

The files are in the rar, with paths (Windows).

Thanks

NB: it's actually a .rar file, but I renamed it to .zip because the forum upload thing told me I wasn't "allowed to upload this kind of file" when I tried to upload the .rar, so you may need to rename it :-)

Try this instead.

http://www.moviestor...p;hl=user image

You'll have to click on the head instead of the costume, but otherwise, it's the same.

#5 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (steelblade @ May 4 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try this instead.

http://www.moviestor...p;hl=user image

You'll have to click on the head instead of the costume, but otherwise, it's the same.

Thanks for the link: I'll give it a whirl after dinner, G&T permitting :-)

#6 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

What you posted didnt particularly resemble an addon.

What you should be aiming for:

In Moviestorm/AddOn/Harris_Blackeye_Head
I would expect to see
The files that are created when you publish an addon, and
Data/Puppets/Male01/harris_blackeye_head.bodypart
and
Data/Puppets/Male01/Textures with just your edited textures.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#7 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 5 2010, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What you posted didnt particularly resemble an addon.

What you should be aiming for:

In Moviestorm/AddOn/Harris_Blackeye_Head
I would expect to see
The files that are created when you publish an addon, and
Data/Puppets/Male01/harris_blackeye_head.bodypart
and
Data/Puppets/Male01/Textures with just your edited textures.

I've had another go; this is a bit closer (to an addon, and to one that works) .

It's not quite working properly; here are the steps I went through to make it:

1. Find 'rockstar head.bodypart'
(location: C:\Program Files\Moviestorm\AddOn\ModdersWorkshop\Data\Puppets\Male01\rockstar head.bodypart)

2. Make a copy, rename the copy blackeye_rockstar_head.bodypart

3. Edit the new bodypart file: paste the file name in the <name> tag. Save the file.

4. In C:\Program Files\Moviestorm\AddOn, create a directory for the new addon:
C:\Program Files\Moviestorm\AddOn\blackeye_rockstar_head

5. In the Modders Workshop Master Browser, expand the file tree. Under Models/Puppets/Male01/Bodyparts locate 'rockstar head'
Ensure the current AddOn is set to blackeye_rockstar_head.
Right click 'rockstar head' and select 'Addons > Move from Modders Workshop to > blackeye_rockstar_head.

6. In the Body Part Material Editor, set diffuse texture to point to:
Data/Puppets/Male01/Heads/Rockstar_Head/Textures/blackeye_Rockstar_head_Diff.dds
(location: C:\Program Files\Moviestorm\AddOn\MusicVideo01Promo\Data\Puppets\Male01\Heads\Rockstar_Head\Textures)
The retextured head appears in the Modder's Workshop.

EDIT: The modified diffuse texture should be moved to/located in the Addon directory. The latter part of the directory structure will have to be created manually (see Ben's post below this one):

C:\Program Files\Moviestorm\AddOn\blackeye_rockstar_head\Data\Puppets\Male01\Heads\Rockstar_Head\Textures\

7. Close the Bodypart Material Editor and click "Save" in the Master Browser (adjust thumbnail dialogue appears).

8. Login with publisher details; publish - pack - publish.

9. Close the Modder's Workshop and open Moviestorm: click on "Get More Content" and scroll through list of content packs:
blackeye_rockstar_head shows as installed.

10. In Moviestorm, blackeye_rockstar_head appears in the heads panel.
Two variants are available; one is black (which is not good--this is the modded texture), the other normal.
(NB: The original rockstar head now has a broken thumbnail).

Attached Files

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

OK, looking better.

In your addon:
blackeye_rockstar_head\Data\Puppets\Male01\
you have two bodyparts; one is named the same as the original - you should get rid of that, just leaving blackeye_rockstar_head.bodypart
Otherwise Moviestorm wont know which of two versions of rockstar head.bodypart to use.

Also in your zip, are some files from MusicVideo01Promo:
MusicVideo01Promo\Data\Puppets\Male01\Heads\Rockstar_Head\Textures\
I'm thinking that the one that you have modified is called
blackeye_Rockstar_head_Diff.dds

Moviestorm doesnt know about that texture, because it is new, and when we published MusicVideo01Promo, it wasnt there.
So you need to move that file (and not any of the original ones - Moviestorm can find the other textures from MusicVideo01Promo) into
blackeye_rockstar_head\Data\Puppets\Male01\Heads\Rockstar_Head\Textures\
(which will involve creating those extra folders in your addon first)

Then you would just need to republish your new addon, try it in moviestorm, and if it works, go back to the modders workshop and pack it, if you wanted to distribute it to anyone.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#9 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

Ah, Ben ... I think there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks for the pointers: I'll move some things around, delete some others, and see if that does the trick.

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 7 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, looking better.

In your addon:
blackeye_rockstar_head\Data\Puppets\Male01\
you have two bodyparts; one is named the same as the original - you should get rid of that, just leaving blackeye_rockstar_head.bodypart
Otherwise Moviestorm wont know which of two versions of rockstar head.bodypart to use.

Also in your zip, are some files from MusicVideo01Promo:
MusicVideo01Promo\Data\Puppets\Male01\Heads\Rockstar_Head\Textures\
I'm thinking that the one that you have modified is called
blackeye_Rockstar_head_Diff.dds

Moviestorm doesnt know about that texture, because it is new, and when we published MusicVideo01Promo, it wasnt there.
So you need to move that file (and not any of the original ones - Moviestorm can find the other textures from MusicVideo01Promo) into
blackeye_rockstar_head\Data\Puppets\Male01\Heads\Rockstar_Head\Textures\
(which will involve creating those extra folders in your addon first)

Then you would just need to republish your new addon, try it in moviestorm, and if it works, go back to the modders workshop and pack it, if you wanted to distribute it to anyone.