• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

Imagine if you will, a 2D prop shaped like an hourglass. Now picture a 512x512 square texture stretched across it, disfigured and tearing. Other than creating an appropriately shaped texture is there anything I can do to fix this?

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

I think this is basically down to your 3D package, and how the UV map for the different polygons forming the hourglass are mapped onto different locations on the texture.

It is art stuff, and slightly more complicated than I understand how to do.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Sorry Ben, the 2D hourglass is just an example for square prop with a curvy shape. Think Prim_Backdrop but pinched in places ) ( . Sorry for the vagueness.

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

The answer was just refering to your example. Look at some of the costume textures, for examples of how more complicated UV maps work (U and V are the coordinates used for maping textures onto polygons).

Basically, the mapping has to be set up in the 3D application that creates the model.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

Thanks. I built it in Sketchup and a quick search says that as of May this year, there is no support for manually setting up a UV map. Supposedly it's automatic and clunky. Great. I've got Blender (it scares me) and even Anim8tor but haven't attempted to learn anything about them.

Well, I know that you know what you're talking about so I might just have to dive in.