25 replies to this topic

#21 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

Johnnie,
Just wondering if you had any other thoughts on how to achieve this with Windows XP? Many Thanks
"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#22 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

Yes please Johnnie, *wiggles eyebrows in way designed to resemble puppy asking for biscuit*

#23 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

Not yet, I'm afraid. My own experiments haven't got much further. Now that 1.0.4 is out the door, I'm hoping to grab one of the engineering guys and see if there's something technical and complex that I should pretend to understand.

Watch this space - I haven't forgotten about you :-)
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#24 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

It's not good news, I'm afraid. Chaos Crystal (or anything else using the same techniques) won't work on anything that uses a GL renderer. That includes both Moviestorm and Second Life.

It will work under Vista, as we've seen. That's because Vista's much-hyped Aero graphics toolkit stores all the video output in a separate buffer, and allows for easy transparency on anything and everything. We reckon it'll work on the Mac too, for much the same reason (although we haven't tested that).

We're going to mull this over for a little while and see if a clever solution occurs to us, but I'm afraid it's looking likely that only Mac or Vista users get the goodies this time around.
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#25 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Well I know that sometimes, in an idle moment, MS code wranglers come up with clever solutions to problems they weren't even working on..so if we keep prodding??

#26 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

Johnnie,
Many thanks for the help. Maybe for the time being I will play around with a still or video backdrop and then work the MS characters into the size relationships. That could save some line up woes when I put the elements together in my editor.

I'm also looking forward to this new walking path system for the MS characters. If I can figure out a good way to make this line up idea work, then I could easily shift the walking path and allow MS characters to go around items like tables and chairs. Then I can place greenscreen props in the original background material and hopefully be able to composite more complicated shots.

Thanks again to you and the crew.

"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/