Joyce Carol Oates' "Heat"

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 162

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Done for my "Intro to Literature" class, based on the short story of the same name. Word of warning, not my usual light-hearted, girl-with-a-video-camera-and-a-hair-brained-sceme-to-get-noticed-on-the-internet ordeal. It's a little dark....

http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=106923

#2 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

I liked this a lot, well done smile.gif

#3 162

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

Thanks! biggrin.gif

#4 Yarmond

Yarmond

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this as well.

The story, and the narration, along with the music chosen, really took this video to that next level from being "good" to "wow, that was really good".

So well done, my hats off to you!

#5 162

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

Thanks biggrin.gif

#6 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'm so old that when I was in school, this was called "plagiarism".
NOW PLAYING: SUGAR BABES, Episode 7: "The Old-Fashioned Way Is Still Best"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102176

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (grouchobeer @ May 11 2011, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grouchobear, she was doing this for her Literature class so it is not plagiarism.

#8 Yarmond

Yarmond

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (grouchobeer) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 11 2011, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Grouchobear, she was doing this for her Literature class so it is not plagiarism.

Not to mention the fact that she credited Joyce Carol Oates as the author; in the title of her film, in the credits of her film, and in this very thread. I'm not really sure what else you want 162 to do to show that she didn't write the story.

I think it's pretty clear she's not trying to take credit for Joyce's work, but hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe 162 only credited Joyce Carol Oates just so that we would be like "No way! I don't believe that, you had to have written this!" and then she could go "Oh, alright. Ya got me! I wrote it. I knew I couldn't fool you". If this is the case, 162, I don't think your evil plan is working rolleyes.gif

#9 162

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

Maybe he meant it in a joking way....

Either way, no, I'm not trying to plagiarize. My class assignment was to use my major (film, in my case) alongside a poem or story in our textbooks to create an artistic work. So in retrospect, all complains must be sent to my teacher. wink.gif

#10 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

I'm not sure where Grouchobeer is coming from. He is a machinima filmmaker / writer who sometimes works with Jorge Campos.
He seems to turn up every so often and fixate on someone's film which he believes has transgressed copyright.
I haven't yet see one of his complaints lead to anything being removed.

I wouldn't worry 162.
I hope you get as good a mark as you deserve for your work, your teacher will be impressed I'm sure.

#11 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

Showing it to your teacher and class is probably ok. Showing it to the world via the internet, not so much. Don't take my word for it, contact Joyce Carol Oates' literary agent and ask him if it's ok. I find it appalling that lazy, dumbass teachers this days hand out such assignments.

#12 162

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

Um, if you don't mind me saying....the definition of plagiarism is "the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own." As with proper etiquette found in term papers, I've cited my sources.

(I don't plan on making money off this nor submitting it to festivals, seeing how that would be a blatant disregard of copyright laws.)

I can actually understand why my teacher wanted us to do this. He always said that one form of art feeds into another. I suppose he wanted us to explore this concept. (Besides, I'd rather have done this than some term paper or test.)

However, I do understand your wish to make sure another artist's work is not stolen! (A friend of mine had his script stolen, so I know how horrible it would be!)

#13 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

Um, if you don't mine my saying, plagiarism is defined by Webster's as "literary theft". Like I said, contact Joyce Carol Oates' agent. If he's down with it, so am I. But my guess is he'll probably sue you for millions of dollars.

#14 Three

Three

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (grouchobeer @ May 14 2011, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um, if you don't mine my saying, plagiarism is defined by Webster's as "literary theft". Like I said, contact Joyce Carol Oates' agent. If he's down with it, so am I. But my guess is he'll probably sue you for millions of dollars.

Ahahahaha, spoken like someone who has never seen the inside of an introductory law course, much less interacted with a flesh-and-blood lawyer. But what could honestly have been expected from someone whose idea of a contemporary legal manual is "a dictionary?"

Putting aside your pretensions of expertise at the moment, you seem to be operating under the assumption that plagiarism and copyright litigation are somehow one and the same. Here's a hint: plagiarism is more or less defined as taking someone else's work whole cloth and passing it off as your own, while copyright infringement falls under the far less narrow spectrum of using previously copyrighted material without the express legal permission of the copyright holder. If anything, 162's use of (cited) literary material without said permission could be considered a case of copyright infringement, but the worst case scenario would be a C&D from Oates' lawyers, not your hilariously unlikely "million-dollar lawsuit."

By the way, going through your post history watching you flail about against perceived legal grievances is a laugh-a-minute, but I suppose that's also to be expected, from someone whose idea of biting political satire is crude depictions of public figures playing hide-the-sausage.

#15 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (grouchobeer @ May 14 2011, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! Your username is very well chosen.

Plagerism may indeed be literary theft but how does that apply to what she did?

She didn't steal it, therefore she isn't a plagerist.

Have you ever done a book report?

Did you give a summary of the book?

Would you call that plagerism?

Now if you wrote your summary and submitted it as an original work with no reference to the original work, that may be plagerism.

Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#16 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

162, this was beautiful with one exception:

My ears had difficulty separating the narration from the music at quite a few points.

I haven't seen any other comments on this so it may be just me.

Did anyone else experience this?

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#17 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

grouchobeer, you know I really like you and you make me laugh a lot. So I don't understand why you are being so hard on 162. She did it for a class and she is not selling the video either. I mean schools put on plays all the time and they can present them to a public audience and it is not considered plagurism. And she does a lot of original work of her own. And this is coming from me and I am a stickler for originality. I would rather see a piece of artwork that someone made up themselves than see them copy someone else's painting, even if technically it isn't as good as a copy would be. And if she had not had to do this project for her class she most likely would not have even done this story. I think also it could be classed as "fan video" anyway.

#18 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 15 2011, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And this is coming from me and I am a stickler for originality.

rolleyes.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#19 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (corthew @ May 14 2011, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
162, this was beautiful with one exception:

My ears had difficulty separating the narration from the music at quite a few points.

I haven't seen any other comments on this so it may be just me.

Did anyone else experience this?

I second this post. I enjoyed the film except for the audio sometimes being hard to hear. If you have audio processing software, you can try to take the music and the voice over and "separate" the frequencies they occupy a bit. This is sometimes called "ducking" or "notching". It's not that hard, but does require an tool with an EQ. The basic operation involves using an EQ and sweeping the voice track to find "sweet spots", which are basically the frequencies that carry the most appealing sounds.

For the human female voice, this is likely to be somewhere around 1kHz-3kHz for the "harmonic resonance" sweet spot. You might want to look for more than one "spot" though, so maybe a low end range too, maybe something around 700-800Hz or so (this is called the "fundamental frequency"). If you find these, you can give your vocal track some added gain in those ranges -- just a touch.

Then you to go the music track and you reduce gain in those same ranges in the music track. This creates a sort of "hole" in those frequencies in the music track, and your voice track will have some additional gain in those frequencies, and voila! You get a little better clarity of the voice without having to dip music levels wholesale or bump the VO too much.

This technique requires applying an EQ effect to each of these tracks, and it's best if the EQ can "sweep" frequencies to hunt down the sweet spot. I apologize if I'm making this sound complicated, it's really not once you do it one time.

Anyway, I enjoyed your film. Good luck in your class!

rgr

#20 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (rgr @ May 14 2011, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This technique requires applying an EQ effect to each of these tracks, and it's best if the EQ can "sweep" frequencies to hunt down the sweet spot. I apologize if I'm making this sound complicated, it's really not once you do it one time.

I've done that manually in a few of my songs to separate the vocals from the music but how would I know if there was a "sweep" option? What would I look for.