3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:43 PM

Reposted from this thread

As a follow on to the H P Lovecraft Film Festival Competition here's a really simply mod of a Cthulhu statue for you to play with.

Modding part 1 - Installing a prop

The aim of this quick guide is to give you the user a feel for installing your own assets in to Moviestorm. We hope that customisation becomes as much a part of the Moviestorm film creation process as setting up the cameras or shouting action!
In this example we will install a prebuilt prop that could be an asset bought from the Moviestorm shop, a model created by another user, or even one of your own,

First of all download the zip file Cthulhu_Statue.zip.

It contains a small statue prop (ideal for use in a the Cthulhu movie competition) and more importantly the complete directory structure that you will need to get extra assets in to Moviestorm and working.

Start by extracting the .Zip file to the Moviestorm "Addon" directory. Newer builds of the program will contain much of the enclosed file structure, so click yes if it asks if you want to copy in to existing folders.

You will now find a User_Mods folder under AddOn. This folder structure has been set aside for all user modifications, if you want to try your hand at creating your own props, materials or animations in Blender or 3DS MAX this is where you should put them.

If you navigate to the User_Mods/Data/Props folder you will find the Cthulhu group folder and Statue sub folder.
Props should ideally be stored in individual folders just to keep things tidy. Each folder should also contain ?Animations? and ?Textures? sub-folders, in to which you obviously put the object?s textures and animations.
The base Statue folder contains A Cal3d CSF skeleton file, a CMF Mesh file and a CRF material file. Creation of each of these can be found online at CAL3d resource sites until we provide our own Moviestorm specific documentation. It also contains a .Template file, a DESCRIPTOR file and a Thumbs folder containing a small image of the final prop, all of which are created in Moviestorm?s Modder?s workshop during the set up phase of an asset. Again, this will all be documented in due time.

But that is it, you now have a Cthulhu statue installed and ready to play with, so why not have a go at that competition?!

Chris

Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#2 Jack

Jack

Moviegoer

• Pioneers
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

Can the community suggest tools to get from MAX, Blender, Sketchup and other 3D drawing engines to Cal3D?

#3 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

I am in the process of writing a MAX Tutorial for prop and character export myself, but would very much like to hear from Blender users who could help write a few lines on low poly modelling and exporting.

Chris
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#4 tripmills

tripmills

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

looking forward to that max tutorial. in the mean time i'll poke around and see what i break

EDIT:
I forgot to add the 'thanks'....thanks
How come the future has to take such a long, long time?