Photo

Strange problem of dropping out of forum but homepage tells me I'm still logged in

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

Every now and then I seem to go offline in the forums, so I go back to the homepage to log back in and I am still logged in, so I have to log out and then back in to access the forums again strange?

Regards
David

Moviestorm still Number One

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:16 PM

(davidwww)
Every now and then I seem to go offline in the forums, so I go back to the homepage to log back in and I am still logged in, so I have to log out and then back in to access the forums again strange?

Regards
David

I do know that when I switch browsers - sometimes I use IE, most of the time I use Netscape, I have the opposite problem. I am logged in on one and not logged in on the other one.

#3 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

David,

That is an odd one. I'll try to work out what must be going on there - it could well be a quirk of the JForum software we use.

The "single sign-on" mechanism we use is that, once you log in of the main MS website, details about your identity are sent to your browser as "Cookies". These Cookies are used by both the main website and by the forums (these two are actually separate).

If you use the "remember me" checkbox on the main site, these Cookies will be kept a long time by your browser (10 years). If you don't use "remember me", they only last 30 minutes.

Lucinda - in your case, when you swap browsers you are suddenly using a different set of Cookies. Cookies are held by each individual browser program (rather than shared), so you can be logged on in one browser, but logged out in another browser at the same time!

Blasted internet is a pain in the backside laugh.gif
Ben
Moviestorm Community Website Developer

#4 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:07 PM

Thanks bengarrett1971 but could my problem stem from the fact I use Mozilla and I should just stick to Explorer?

Regards
David

#5 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

David, I don't think so. I myself use Mozilla Firefox most of the time.
Ben
Moviestorm Community Website Developer

#6 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

(bengarrett1971)
David, I don't think so. I myself use Mozilla Firefox most of the time.

Mine just says Mozilla 1.7.13, if that makes a difference?

Regards
David