78 replies to this topic

#21 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Dec 8 2011, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's like "Movie B" folder has become my designated render section, no matter which movie I render.

That is an issue worth waiting to be resolved.

I don't want to have to dig for it.smile.gif

I'm excited that its finally out though.smile.gif

edit: Ok...I couldn't help myself. I had to play around with the terrain editor which is VERY cool.smile.gif

One note though, should I be able to undo raising or lowering the terrain? I'm not able and its not a big issue for me but if it should work it isn't.
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#22 bassbo

bassbo

Film Critic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

AWESOME!

I just downloaded the update and I noticed two very big differences. The performance is much better and rendering in the WebM format is so much crisper and cleaner.

Great job!
Thanks,

Bo

#23 alonzo11208

alonzo11208

Master Director

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

it looka good. one thing that caught me off guard: the puppets.

they've changed, or look like they have. they look better in my opinion , and for a while i thought i had put shaders back on by accident.

so now the question to be begged: how they look with shaders on? :/
Shadows of Fire
Shadows of Fire Encyclopedia

Creater of Shadows of Fire

#24 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Dec 8 2011, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's like "Movie B" folder has become my designated render section, no matter which movie I render.

Have you tried changing to a different folder to render to?
It should remember where you render your movies. It's not dependant on which movie you are rendering.
I sugest making a folder called 'renders' inside your Moviestorm user folder, and rendering there.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#25 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (alonzo11208 @ Dec 9 2011, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it looka good. one thing that caught me off guard: the puppets.

they've changed, or look like they have. they look better in my opinion , and for a while i thought i had put shaders back on by accident.

so now the question to be begged: how they look with shaders on? :/

Probably very similar. We discovered that the lighting with shaders off had been broken for a very long time (ambient light was being applied twice). It does now look a lot more similar to the 'shaders on' version.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#26 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (bouche919 @ Dec 8 2011, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hurrah! New features sound great but having problems with the Mac update. I updated to 1.5 but Moviestorm crashes on start.

I'm on Leopard 10.5.8 but MovieStorm crashes out when you press the 'Start' button on launching the program Going to re-download the full thing and try a fresh install. I do have a custom Sliders pack installed.

Does it require a newer version of the nVidia CG toolkit or anything?

The logs seem to have overwritten themselves otherwise I'd send them,

Hopefully this is just me! smile.gif

C

Very sorry about this. We found a mac with Leopard, and it is broken exactly as you say. It appears there is a bit of new code crept in that requires java 6, which isnt an option on Leopard or Tiger (not for the 32 bit version that Moviestorm needs, at least).
I hope that we will have a fixed version soon.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#27 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

Just updated as well on Mac running 10.6.8, I get to the point where I choose a movie template but end up with a black screen :0(

#28 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (neut @ Dec 9 2011, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just updated as well on Mac running 10.6.8, I get to the point where I choose a movie template but end up with a black screen :0(

I'm running 10.6.8 and have not had any issues. in fact, this version is way better .. much faster, uses a lot fewer resources.

I'm also thrilled about the choice of WebM as the video format! Brilliant move. I can now render videos that play perfectly on prims -- and I get sound to boot!

I need to practice my terrain-edtior-fu though smile.gif

#29 jakechief

jakechief

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:31 AM

This is a bit embarrassing, but I can not seem to place my characters onto the sets. Any special button or something?
Radio host of "The Storm Hour" Saturdays at 1 Pacific, 3 Central, 4EST, 9Uk, 10EUR, only on www.tmoaradio.com

#30 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1144 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (jakechief @ Dec 10 2011, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a bit embarrassing, but I can not seem to place my characters onto the sets. Any special button or something?

Win: Right click (I think)
Mac: Two finger click (or right click)

The same to move the character

#31 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:25 AM

After having my self-created bug resolved (thank you again Ben) I finally got a chance to play around with this and it is an absolutely stellar release. Excellent work MS team! I just think back to how this program was back in the beta days, and it's just been an incredible evolution! I still remember the excitement of getting moving cars laugh.gif but this terrain editor, the extra sliders in character creation, the extra bells and whistles, and the improved performance, it's just blowing me away.

#32 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:29 AM

What a great surprise to come home to.

Awesome!

Thanks Guys!

#33 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (keithlawrence @ Dec 10 2011, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Win: Right click (I think)
Mac: Two finger click (or right click)

The same to move the character

Yup. Right click floored me for a while. just like the shift key used for building walls.
It's going to take some time to get unused to left clicking.
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#34 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

This is quite a nice update. A big pat on the back to all the MS developers! biggrin.gif

#35 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

Oh my yes indeedy smile.gif

Given the mixed feelings of Moviestorm Users to the mountain backdrop (mostly a mixture of hatred and loathing) and the initial response of the Moviestorm Techie bods of the-coding-is-buried-too-deep-to-change, the new landscape control is just a STUNNING achievement. Simply brilliant.

Now where's this sword-fighting pack? tongue.gif

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#36 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (neut @ Dec 9 2011, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you had a hack to remove the terrain bowl previously, the solution is here:
http://www.moviestor...showtopic=12108
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#37 ehughes

ehughes

Master Director

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

congratulations. Though, I wish I had made my movie (which I incidentally, started tonight), before the launch. I updated right away only to learn that none of the previous rendering formats are available. Some unknown codec called "WEBM" is the only thing available (no option to use .wmv or anything else). So not only am I unable to view it on any player on my computer (real player, media player, divx, and so on, I can't play the movie), Vegas cannot open it so I am unable to do anything with it. I spent about four hours making it and now can't even edit or watch the thing.

I suppose I can upload the unfinished rendered version online, but what's the point of uploading an unfinished clip?

#38 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1910 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (ehughes @ Dec 11 2011, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
congratulations. Though, I wish I had made my movie (which I incidentally, started tonight), before the launch. I updated right away only to learn that none of the previous rendering formats are available. Some unknown codec called "WEBM" is the only thing available (no option to use .wmv or anything else). So not only am I unable to view it on any player on my computer (real player, media player, divx, and so on, I can't play the movie), Vegas cannot open it so I am unable to do anything with it. I spent about four hours making it and now can't even edit or watch the thing.

I suppose I can upload the unfinished rendered version online, but what's the point of uploading an unfinished clip?

The only player I could find that plays them on my computer is media player classic. I use Vegas too and they won't load in my version either, but I did find a work around suggested by Ben. I downloaded Miro, which is free, then I render the movies using the Huffy (Lossless) setting, which does render a pretty big file (around 796 MB for a minute and a half) then I use Miro to turn the file into an MP4. There is very little loss of quality and the MP4s load into Vegas with sound and picture. I know it's not perfect, but it's the best work around I've found so far. smile.gif

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#39 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (squirrelygirl @ Dec 11 2011, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only player I could find that plays them on my computer is media player classic. I use Vegas too and they won't load in my version either, but I did find a work around suggested by Ben. I downloaded Miro, which is free, then I render the movies using the Huffy (Lossless) setting, which does render a pretty big file (around 796 MB for a minute and a half) then I use Miro to turn the file into an MP4. There is very little loss of quality and the MP4s load into Vegas with sound and picture. I know it's not perfect, but it's the best work around I've found so far. smile.gif

If you have a recent version of ffmpeg, you should have the vorbis codec support required for WebM. WebM is a container format (based on Matroska, according to the web site) and codec specification for video and audio (based on Vorbis, which itself is not new).

These two web sites have downloads that hopefully help in getting windows and mac systems better initial support until commercial products get around to adding it themselves:

http://www.webmproject.org/ (for the VP8 video codec -- for windows, check out the direct show downloads)
http://www.xiph.org/ (for the Ogg Vorbis audio codec -- not sure what windows users need to do here actually)

For Mac users, installing the quicktime components from these sites seems to be sufficient for decoding, and also seems to add a WebM "share" option for iMovie (but not for Final Cut or Compressor).

rgr

#40 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

I've saved as huffy, but Vegas doesn't want to open it, so I've had to pass files through Format Factory to WMV. It's a bit sucky really. sad.gif
Apart from that I'm quite happy with 1.5 (although it aint much faster)
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau