69 replies to this topic

#41 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

In for a landing...:

Using a "movable" prop... you can place it on top of another item, and move it to the ground to your character! It floats!

:oops:

#42 sisch

sisch

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

This sounds so exciting... but I'm nearly afraid to start MS because... will my saves from the old version still work? I never "lived through" an update before, so don't hit me for asking silly questions... tongue.gif I'm in the middle of a film, and need some of the footage shot with the old version!

#43 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

(sisch)
This sounds so exciting... but I'm nearly afraid to start MS because... will my saves from the old version still work? I never "lived through" an update before, so don't hit me for asking silly questions... tongue.gif I'm in the middle of a film, and need some of the footage shot with the old version!

My opinion?

The previously shot scenes of mine (a couple that I checked) still work... the SF staff have always been courteous about giving us warnings if they didn't expect previously shot movies/scenes to work.

I didn't see anything Dave said in the original post in this thread that there would be problems...

If you are REALLY concerned, you can wait for an SF staffer to give you a "for sure" answer! :mrgreen:
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#44 sisch

sisch

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Thank you, Fulkster.... though I am REALLY concerned tongue.gif, I think I'll chance it and update now... ya know, curiosity killed the cat... :mrgreen:
Weeee!

#45 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

(Ben_S)
This time, we managed to update the version number. So for starters, does moviestorm now say 'release 1.1.2, 4th December 2008' on the front screen? It mostly sounds to me like the patch has not installed for you.

...I'm not seeing a version number anywhere... the only thing I feel I'm missing is animated trees (the S/U importer works, I can change the paths of the walkers, and the movable props work).

The mod workshop now has an option for and "mobile" and "wind sway"... so I feel "mostly" updated?

Maybe I just don't know where to look?

(edit- Sisch... I'm crossing my fingers for you as I type... making it hard to type, I might add! ...edit 2- cool TMUnderground sig thingy... all "motiony" n stuff! ) tongue.gif

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#46 sisch

sisch

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

Yay!

Updated - every old save still works, and wow, I just love the new walkpath thingy, it's just great! Got the car driving round the set in no time, too...

thanks very much for this christmas present! smile.gif

#47 BeruPly

BeruPly

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

oh I see. was thinkinh the police car was movable, too, but it does work with the one you mention!

(Fulkster)
In for a landing...:

Using a "movable" prop... you can place it on top of another item, and move it to the ground to your character! It floats!

:oops:

#48 carl1937

carl1937

Film Critic

• Pioneers
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

Great stuff!
Going ahead in leaps and bounds!!
Thanks
Carl

#49 kunleski

kunleski

Director

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

Thanks Guys smile.gif
2wise as 9ice

#50 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

For future reference, if you are in the middle of a big film, and are concerned about an update, two things:
You can make a copy of your moviestorm install, and only update one of the two versions.
Then, you have both the new version and the old version.
Similarly, you can make a backup of your movie, and see if it works with the new version; if it does, great, if not, please let us know (and send us your movie file - sometimes they are fixable), as we realy dont want to be causing incompatibilties, but sometimes they slip in.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#51 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:10 AM

For future reference, if you are in the middle of a big film, and are concerned about an update, two things:
You can make a copy of your moviestorm install, and only update one of the two versions.
Then, you have both the new version and the old version.
Similarly, you can make a backup of your movie, and see if it works with the new version; if it does, great, if not, please let us know (and send us your movie file - sometimes they are fixable), as we realy dont want to be causing incompatibilties, but sometimes they slip in.

Too late. I am in the middle of a film, luckily just shooting the final scene.

The update has broken all the previous sets.

Noticed two things.

The old walk through door does not transport to the new version, same with walk styles.

Stock sets will load but cannot be saved. The moving trees seem to be causing problems. My last scene set is trashed because I cannot save it, even the stock sets with trees will not load and then save.

I get the following error when I create a new movie, import the "Park Clearing" stock set (or any stock set with trees) and try to then save it without doing anything else.

Failed to diff.

Debugging information.

Cause Exception : Java.Lang.NullPointerException.

Cause Message : Null.

I hope you can help me out with this. I need to shoot my final scene this weekend.

EDIT>

I tried intalling the latest Java. jxpiinstall-6u11-fcs-bin-b90-windows-i586-25_nov_2008.exe

No change, same problem.

Here is the set I am trying to work with. All character interactions I dont care about, I will delete them, but the set I need.

Any chance of telling my why it does not save ?

http://blackaceprodu.../DIHScene17.rar

Matt and Dave Review our last film "Faith Hope and Charity". http://blackaceprodu...ious/Review.wma

#52 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

(Fulkster)
I'm not seeing a version number anywhere...

Version number should be in the lower left corner of the main menu screen (the one with the New Movie/Load Movie/Settings options).
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#53 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

I'm doing the shift drag thing with my character but it only moves in a straight line. How do I set a path?

EDIT: forget it I've just sorted it. I didn't realise you had to go a long the time line and adjust it there.

laugh.gif

#54 Fulkster

Fulkster

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2292 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

(equinoxx)
(Fulkster)
I'm not seeing a version number anywhere...

Version number should be in the lower left corner of the main menu screen (the one with the New Movie/Load Movie/Settings options).

Ahhh!

...running windowed, it was below the bottom of the screen! :oops: Click "full screen", there it is!

(BTW, isn't that lower *right*, or is it just too early for me this morning? :mrgreen:

(Thanks!)

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

#55 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

I've found that undo and redo does work when moving my car...just thought I'd mention it laugh.gif

EDIT: I should try things out for longer before I post :oops: Undo/redo only works at first then the function goes when you edit any other items

I have noticed that when trying to move my second character, I can only walk in straight lines. If i move the end point to go diagonally though a building, so as to edit the walk half way through, so as to go round the side. there is nothing in the time line, no steps, but the end marker is there. :cry:

#56 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, a thousand times Thank you for the Sketchup importer it has made my life so much easier :thumbup: and of course for all the other wonderful new things you guys have added to Moviestorm, did I say thank you for the Sketchup importer THANK YOU!!!!

Regards
David

Also THANK YOU to nb99 for his amazing converter, for with out it our small modding community would not have been able to do as much as it has, Thanks nb99 your a legend.

Moviestorm still Number One

#57 Melopee

Melopee

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

Thank you very much! The best Moviestorm release yet. Evolution? Or revolution. I can't wait to test out all the new features.

#58 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

(Fulkster)
(BTW, isn't that lower *right*, or is it just too early for me this morning?

No, that's just my selective dyslexia at work... :oops:
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#59 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

After playing around with this for a while I have to say this is simply incredible! This is an unbelievable amount of control, and with what's planned in the future that we know of is going to make MS truly revolutionary.
Thanks for a great update biggrin.gif

#60 BA

BA

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:36 AM

I would love it if someone could tell my why I cannot save any set that has trees in. I can make a short film and render it, but Moviestorm will not save the file as I get the error I posted above.

Anyone else having the same problem ?

Luckily I managed to get my final scene in one take. So I will get away with it for now and the rest of the work on my current film is in post production. But for future projects, and especially the one I am starting full production on next week, (Gridlock with Ice Axe) I need to be able to save all sets.
Matt and Dave Review our last film "Faith Hope and Charity". http://blackaceprodu...ious/Review.wma