20 replies to this topic

#1 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

Upgrading Moviestorm from 1.1.7.1 or earlier to 1.2

To upgrade to Moviestorm 1.2, you will need to download and install it from scratch. You cannot upgrade as a patch from an earlier version of Moviestorm.

Windows users
  • Find your existing version of Moviestorm. It is probably located in "C:Program Files/Moviestorm Release" if you accepted the default when you installed it. Much older versions may be located in "C:/Program Files/Moviestorm".
  • Locate your mods and other content packs. They should be in the AddOns folder of your Moviestorm install.
  • Download the 1.2 installer
  • Run the installer and choose a new location for Moviestorm. The default is "C:/Program Files/Moviestorm"
  • Log into Moviestorm when the launcher appears. The launcher will now download the rest of Moviestorm, plus any licensed addon packs you have bought. You can also select one or more free Photostorm packs to download.
  • If you don't want to download the content packs at this stage, or want to choose which packs to download, you can close the launcher and disable automatic downloading. In your Moviestorm folder, open the file boot/boot-win.properties and change the line "autodownload=yes" to be "autodownload=no". You can now re-start the launcher and select which content packs you want.
  • If you're using mods, copy them from your old Moviestorm install into the equivalent folder in new one.

Mac users
  • Rename your existing Moviestorm app to something like "Moviestorm 1.1".
  • Locate your mods and other content packs. You can find the AddOn folder by right clicking on the App, selecting Show Package Contents, and browsing to Contents->Resources->AddOn
  • Download the 1.2 installer
  • Run it.
  • Log into Moviestorm when the launcher appears. The launcher will now download the rest of Moviestorm, plus any licensed addon packs you have bought. You can also select one or more free Photostorm packs to download.
  • If you don't want to download the content packs at this stage, or want to choose which packs to download, you can close the launcher and disable automatic downloading. Right click the app, and select Show Package Contents, and edit Contents->Resources->boot->boot-mac.properties. Change the line "autodownload=yes" to be "autodownload=no". You can now re-start the launcher and select which content packs you want.
  • If you're using mods, copy them from your old Moviestorm install into the equivalent folder in new one.

Using 1.1.7.1 or earlier

If you no longer need the earlier version of Moviestorm, you may uninstall it (PCs) or delete it (Mac). Note that this will remove any mods too; backing them up or copying them over to your new install is recommended first.

If you want to continue using the old version of Moviestorm, you will not be able to re-log in to the old version, or install any further Short Fuze packs. If you have saved Movies which are dependant on mods, you can continue to make them in your old version, or try them in 1.2 after re-installing the mods in 1.2.

Enabling the Modders Workshop

To reduce download sizes, the content packs shipped with 1.2 no longer contain files which are only used by the modders workshop. (The data these files contained is kept in the files created on publishing packs, where it is loaded faster by Moviestorm). This however means that users of the Modders Workshop will need copies of these files, if they wish to view any of the models in the Modders Workshop, or create any mods that are texture variations of these existing models.

• Download the ModdersWorkshop.addon file, and install it, using the 'Install AddOn File' button on the Get More Content panel.
  • You will probably need to restart Moviestorm after loading it for the first time. It may quit with a warning message saying " No Licence!" Don't worry, this is normal. This pack is only used by Modders Workshop and doesn't affect the rest of Moviestorm.

Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#2 MoNeart

MoNeart

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

Uh oh. I didn't see this post until after I downloaded 1.2 and told it to install. I'm sure it picked the same location as my original, will it function correctly or do I need to blow it all away and re-install?

#3 Stormscape

Stormscape

Master Director

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

How long will 1.17.1 continue to function for? (The online log-in part, specifically). And can I have my current version and 1.2 installed at the same time without problems, assuming I install the new version to a different folder?

Will a movie saved in 1.17.1 open okay in 1.2 assuming all the content packs are installed?

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Stormscape @ Nov 25 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long will 1.17.1 continue to function for? (The online log-in part, specifically). And can I have my current version and 1.2 installed at the same time without problems, assuming I install the new version to a different folder?

Will a movie saved in 1.17.1 open okay in 1.2 assuming all the content packs are installed?

If you dont log out of 1.1.7.1, it should continue to function indefinatly. If you do log out, you might as well uninstall it, as you wont be able to log back in (unless there are mods you want to copy over to 1.2 first).
The two can co-exist together.
A movie saved in 1.1.7.1 should open in 1.2 if you have the relevant content packs, but I would recomend trying it (and let us know if there are problems). The two are quite close with regards to feature sets, other than the addition of Photostorm (do try it), and the changed log in and subscription stuff.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (MoNeart @ Nov 25 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh oh. I didn't see this post until after I downloaded 1.2 and told it to install. I'm sure it picked the same location as my original, will it function correctly or do I need to blow it all away and re-install?

They might well interfere; the default install location has changed, though, so you might be ok. Have a look in your Program Files folder - you may well have both "Moviestorm" (new) and "Moviestorm Release" (old) folders.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#6 vitalforces

vitalforces

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Nov 25 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They might well interfere; the default install location has changed, though, so you might be ok. Have a look in your Program Files folder - you may well have both "Moviestorm" (new) and "Moviestorm Release" (old) folders.

I have 1.1.7.1 and tried to download the Mac version but I get a prompt saying "Failed to download Happy Holidays" (a free add-on originally) and it stops there. Anything I can do to get it to complete the download?

#7 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:27 AM

Using XP, is the process of copying my addons over as simple as selecting the folders and dragging them into the 1.2 addon directory? Or is it more complicated than that?

#8 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

post deleted and moved to the proper forum thread.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#9 Hirsches

Hirsches

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:26 AM

If I got it right modders also have to subscribe to use modders workshop.
I don't like that new philosophy...
Coming soon: Jailhouse Revival (christian film) | Pilot's Tales (aviation adventure series) | Next Door Neighbours (sitcom series) | Country Patrol

#10 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (tkd27 @ Nov 26 2009, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Using XP, is the process of copying my addons over as simple as selecting the folders and dragging them into the 1.2 addon directory? Or is it more complicated than that?

Yes, or copy and paste them, whichever method you prefer, into the new Addon directory, this is exactly what i did and everything seems to be working ok.

#11 Stormscape

Stormscape

Master Director

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

Please tell me this is a misinterpretation.

We seriously can't use user-created addons without Subscribing? Or the modder's workshop?

#12 forgeuk

forgeuk

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Hirsches @ Nov 26 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I got it right modders also have to subscribe to use modders workshop.
I don't like that new philosophy...

Me too. MS Ltd, Please tell us it ain't so, or that you'll reconsider this.
Scott Hather

#13 Jason3

Jason3

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

I've noticed that the "Moviestorm for non-Admin users" doesn't work correctly. I've downloaded all of my packs as admin, but if I try to start up as non-admin it asks me to choose a starter pack, and that it needs to restart as admin. If I say no I get a greyed-out Start button.

#14 drudges

drudges

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

I held it off for a bit but then i thought what the hell go for it. I have updated to 1.2 and everything is still working fine. I was worried as I am coming to the closing stages of a film I have been making for a while and I didnt want to start again with it.

Phew!!

#15 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

I must admit that I was a bit intimidated about installing 1.2 especially when I read that it won't automatically upgrade from 1.17 and that I would have to re-download and install all the addons (I have purchased 29 of them) again and I just did this a few weeks ago for 1.17. However, I started the install and then went away from my computer and came back to find out it is downloading all my addons automatically and installing them as it downloads.

I will see how it goes from here. 1.17 worked, however, the werewolf head did not work and a lot of Law and Order did not work. Perhaps with 1.2, this will be fixed.

#16 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

Installed 1.2 and it works perfectly. All addons seem to work fine and old movies load too as well as old sets. No problems here. I have a Dell Inspiron and a Geforce 9500 Graphics Card and about 2000 gigs of drive space. And I have 3 tgigs of ram.

#17 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

I installed 1.2 into its own directory separate from 1.1.7, working good for me, movies I loaded of mine all worked fine.

#18 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Dec 1 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must admit that I was a bit intimidated about installing 1.2 especially when I read that it won't automatically upgrade from 1.17 and that I would have to re-download and install all the addons (I have purchased 29 of them) again and I just did this a few weeks ago for 1.17. However, I started the install and then went away from my computer and came back to find out it is downloading all my addons automatically and installing them as it downloads.

Lucinda,

I was also intimidated about installing 1.2 when I read that it won't automatically install. But I downloaded it and ran it and then it downloaded all the add-ons that I own.

Now, I did run into a program running 1.2 but that was corrected with an updated graphics driver. I went from a 512 MB Nvidia card to a 1 GB Nvidia card and it turned out that the new card had the old drivers that didn't work with Moviestorm. Updated the graphics driver and everything was fine.

#19 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:46 AM

Yep, finally took the plunge! Moviestorm did all the hard work (for the official add-ons, of course), and a few minutes tinkering around seems to show things working okay...

PN

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#20 joezen777

joezen777

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

I think I'm missing a step on installing the Modder's Workshop. I downloaded and installed the addon file for modder's workshop but I'm not seeing how I'm supposed to start it. I see it listed in my add ons but it says unlicensed next to it and doesn't have a checkbox for checking. Any illumination? Thanks
Joe Zen
http://www.youtube.com/zentalklaugh
producer/editor/writer/director/comic/insane

Have fun. Work together. Make awesome stuff.

The glass isn't half empty, it just needs to be cut in half.