3 replies to this topic

#1 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

HD version avaliable here: https://youtu.be/0xQE5WzN-qM

Works in Progress on Crowd actions animations... well somewhat. 

A few extra sitting and standing audience type actions...

Screen cap within the Modders workshop:

show what goes into a set of animations and their 'verbs' /in-game possible actions.

I did consider building these into the gesture system but came accross Machine-state problems with some characters getting stuck in a bad States (no way to end an action-state... eg. machine considered the character is sitting while it is doing something else caused a lack of the right choices...).

I wonder: There appears to be only one way to sit on a low/high/mid/scifi chair... clicking on seat, then choose the option to sit.

I can sit without sitting on seats with the above animations (Go to the positions menu then choice to sit...), then interact with standard sitting animations (being in the Sitting Transition state for example). 

There appears to be no problem with this extra option: I do like having a new set of sitting options for MovieStorm Characters and have them animate their excitement: LOL

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

Just a warning with adding extra sitting down animations: when a character sits down using the normal 'Sit down' verb, it picks the first animation transition that goes from idle to the relevant sitting state.

If you add extra animations that do that same transition (from idle to sitting), it is possible that they might get picked in preference to the normal sitdown. I'm not quite sure how the listed is sorted, but if you need it to work differently, I would suggest changing the name of your animation, or changing the name of your addon.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

Just a warning with adding extra sitting down animations: when a character sits down using the normal 'Sit down' verb, it picks the first animation transition that goes from idle to the relevant sitting state.

If you add extra animations that do that same transition (from idle to sitting), it is possible that they might get picked in preference to the normal sitdown. I'm not quite sure how the listed is sorted, but if you need it to work differently, I would suggest changing the name of your animation, or changing the name of your addon.

Thanks Ben, As always very helpful.

I did come across some random problems (characters ending up in 'Transition-limbo') in-game when using the "stand_up" button. 
Maybe best to go for a new "sitting" Transition so there won't be conflicts with the standard sitting Transition.
Especially when I am adding "Gesture" animations transitions  to extend the versatility (changing speeds and animation mixing) of the animations. 

Bugs in ModdersWorkshop:
A few extra steps in the 'workshop because of case-sensitive problems:

Note: from the above vid: MW (moddersWorkshop) isn't seeing the case and at the same time is case-sensitive. There is also the same problem with "verbs" being case-sensitive and not seeing numbers in folders (eg. building a menu with something like ; Gestures/3DT/do something )

gestureTransitionssaekrSML.jpg

Note for above: Within the GestureTransitions, the 'menu path' requires Capital letters for the folders.  IF not; Gestures won't show up in-game.

No problem with lowercase names (eg. /pre_shout_2....)

Starting a 'menu path' with a Number (eg. Gestures/3DT/Cheer/pre_shout_2....) will not work in-game.

The Bugs above are just workflow restrictions rather than bugs; Editing the StateMachine xml file (outside of MW) later is easy enough.

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

There is an unreleased fix that would make the default menu path for gestures start with 'Gestures' rather than 'gestures'. While the rest of the path is case sensitive, not having it start with 'Gestures' stops the gesture from appearing.

Not sure what is happening with the folder names starting with numbers though.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd