• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

When I upgraded to the new version 3.1, saving into the existing MovieStorm folder, I lost all my content packs. I have today spent hours trying to source as many of the addons as possible (over 180 of them so far) via the forums and external sources, but when I try and load some movie files I've been working on for the past few months, they fail to load, and present a list of missing resources, with the message "Missing Resources - additional content packs needed", however there is no way to indicate which packs are missing. I have checked the Add Ons tab in setting and the majority of the items have green ticks in the boxes (with only grey boxes for Unpublished and Preview items).

Do I have any options to identify and locate the missing content packs?

#2 celestina

celestina

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (procureagent @ Apr 24 2010, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I upgraded to the new version 3.1, saving into the existing MovieStorm folder, I lost all my content packs. I have today spent hours trying to source as many of the addons as possible (over 180 of them so far) via the forums and external sources, but when I try and load some movie files I've been working on for the past few months, they fail to load, and present a list of missing resources, with the message "Missing Resources - additional content packs needed", however there is no way to indicate which packs are missing. I have checked the Add Ons tab in setting and the majority of the items have green ticks in the boxes (with only grey boxes for Unpublished and Preview items).

Do I have any options to identify and locate the missing content packs?

I had this happen to me too... although all the official packs had downloaded. Close and re-open... this seemed to work for me (might have done this a couple of times.. can't remember). I believe for all the the other mods you will need to re-install into 1.3 smile.gif

This link will take you there: Celestina's Texture Collections ... COUNTRY COLLECTION Ready Now!

#3 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

I have installed as many of the addons I can find into the new release, but I still have "resources missing" errors. I just wonder if there is a way to identify the missing resources that MovieStorm lists in the error box.

#4 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

For 1.3 you are supposed to install it fresh into its own new folder, not into your 1.2 folder, allow it to automatically download any offcial MS content pacsk you have, and then copy any user mods from your old 1.2 folder to the new one.

#5 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

If these warning instructions were posted with the install package, it would avoid myself and I fear a lot of others possibly falling into this situation. Is there any way to make the movies run without seeking for the missing resources?

#6 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (procureagent @ Apr 24 2010, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If these warning instructions were posted with the install package, it would avoid myself and I fear a lot of others possibly falling into this situation. Is there any way to make the movies run without seeking for the missing resources?

There is an official thread Here that gives this info. As for details on how to get things back working you might have to wait till monday for a reply.

#7 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:11 PM

I didn't see any link to that threat providing the instructions on the Install page, nor the install file, perhaps I overlooked them if they do exist, but if they don't it would be an idea to include this in future major releases that require a whole fresh install. I guess we live and learn, but there will always be new users whom may still fall into this situation in future.

I hope a solution can be provided on Monday. If I can only gain access to the projects, I can then work around the missing resources.

#8 celestina

celestina

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

Not sure I understand this properly... apologies if I haven't but why do you manually need to move folders? All I did was install the user mods from their .addon file via the 'get more content' button and it seems to work for me this way (all moviestorm content is automatically installed).

It tells me which files are missing ... but does not open the project unlike 1.2.

Perhaps you will need to use 1.2 for now...

This link will take you there: Celestina's Texture Collections ... COUNTRY COLLECTION Ready Now!

#9 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

I have attached a full list of the Missing Resources from all the projects that are not working as a result, and I hope that the Modders Community can help me locate the missing addons that contain these Missing Resources. I should reiterate that all these resources were installed and working before the latest upgrade.

All help would be appreciated as it will mean the difference between retrieving or losing months of hard work.

Thanks smile.gif

Attached Files

#10 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

Many of these errors are from Photostorm and Greetingstorm packs you might not have reinstalled. It would probably be worthwhile going to the launcher and usign the Get More Content button and making sure you have those packs (they need to be clicked on individually).
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#11 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Apr 26 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many of these errors are from Photostorm and Greetingstorm packs you might not have reinstalled. It would probably be worthwhile going to the launcher and usign the Get More Content button and making sure you have those packs (they need to be clicked on individually).

I'm having a problem opening movies, too. At first they didn't open, then they did after the patch, then they did again. Also, the new movie option disappeared, I had only the various greetingstorm and photostorm, none of which would work. After the patch, the new movie option reappeared.

My list is not too different from the attachment above, but there are 2 movies that help define my problem. One is a test movie demo'ing the user image puppets, this one works fine. The other is June 8, my base pack entry. This one gets missing resource errors. I can't seem to cut and paste the error, but it lists that the car, the desk, curtains, various things in the base pack as missing.

#12 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (steelblade @ Apr 27 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm having a problem opening movies, too. At first they didn't open, then they did after the patch,

This worries me; there has not yet been a patch to 1.3. If you were getting patches after installing it, it didnt install correctly, and either you were not starting with the 1.3 installer, or installed on top of an existing install.

...then they did again. Also, the new movie option disappeared, I had only the various greetingstorm and photostorm, none of which would work. After the patch, the new movie option reappeared.

My list is not too different from the attachment above, but there are 2 movies that help define my problem. One is a test movie demo'ing the user image puppets, this one works fine. The other is June 8, my base pack entry. This one gets missing resource errors. I can't seem to cut and paste the error, but it lists that the car, the desk, curtains, various things in the base pack as missing.

Providing the log.txt after something fails to load would help me see which addons you have and are enabled, and which things failed to load.
Log.txt
This is created in the Moviestorm user folder. It is emptied each time you start Moviestorm. It's in:
Vista, Win7, Macs: [Username]/Moviestorm
WinXP: C:/Documents and Settings/[Username]/Moviestorm
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#13 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:58 AM

There it is. I tried opening June 8. Some things I know I added that aren't in the base pack, but a number of those things are.

It was like the 3rd time I opened 1.3 that the update button appeared. I thought it was the patch you guys mentioned.

Attached Files

• Attached File  LOG.txt   117.38KB   2 downloads

#14 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

Ah, MovieStorm lifesaver Ben to the rescue, so I now feel HIGHLY confident that a solution is just around the corner. It is the level of response from guys like you that EASILY justify a subscription service, which I am more than happy to continue paying smile.gif

I will do as you suggest and individually download the Photostorm and Greetingstorm packs. I assumed everything had installed automatically during the lengthy process, which I must admit I allowed to run unchecked overnight (I started it last).

#15 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

EVERYTHING WORKS!!!! laugh.gif

Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU Ben! Well, I did mistakenly assume all packs installed, but Ben showed the error of my ways and was right in advising I install the Photostorm and Greetingstorm packs, and this fixed the missing resources problems.

One little thing, and it's maybe my imagination, but some of my camera movements seem faster (or am I just going a little NUTS!?! blink.gif )

All the best to Ben and everyone at MovieStorm, and thanks to all who offered their help and input.

#16 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (steelblade @ Apr 28 2010, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There it is. I tried opening June 8. Some things I know I added that aren't in the base pack, but a number of those things are.

It was like the 3rd time I opened 1.3 that the update button appeared. I thought it was the patch you guys mentioned.

Still not working, and now the new movie options is gone again.

#17 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (steelblade @ May 4 2010, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still not working, and now the new movie options is gone again.

Your log file didnt sugest anything in particular that would help, I'm afraid.

My best sugestion would be to do a full reinstall, starting with a new installer from the website, installing into a folder that doesnt yet exist.
Once you have downloaded your addon packs that happen automatically, then go to the Get More Content button, and get Photostorm and Greetingstorm packs you want, and any of the other older packs you still regularly use.

Then, the update for 1.3.0.1

Then check that Moviestorm works correctly.

Once it does, copy over specific addon folders from your old version for user addons.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#18 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ May 4 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your log file didnt sugest anything in particular that would help, I'm afraid.

My best sugestion would be to do a full reinstall, starting with a new installer from the website, installing into a folder that doesnt yet exist.
Once you have downloaded your addon packs that happen automatically, then go to the Get More Content button, and get Photostorm and Greetingstorm packs you want, and any of the other older packs you still regularly use.

Then, the update for 1.3.0.1

Then check that Moviestorm works correctly.

Once it does, copy over specific addon folders from your old version for user addons.

Almost everything works. The ones that don't were broken before, IE old 3rd party addons that aren't supported any more.

One movie has an error that says it can't find the black eyes on the squid head.

Texture: Heads/Halloween09/Textures/Eye_Black_Diff.dds missing from Halloween09 Squid

The head DOES open in another movie, though.

#19 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

Texture errors are non-fatal, and only reported if there are other problems. Thanks for letting me know about it; it apepars the texture had the wrong name and thus was being refered to incorrectly. I've fixed it internally, and in a future patch it should start working for other people too.

Good to hear you are going again, though.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd