• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:42 AM

Ok, since the tutorials Amos posted were done in 3dsmax I figured I'd try to free downscaled version, Gmax.

Unfortunately Gmax cannot load .max files.

I was able to locate a script to load the half-life files, but see image below for what happened to the skeleton.

I've not tried to manipulate it yet but I'm guessing it's broken.

I'm going to be checking out the advanced modding tutorials which should be fairly easily translatable to gmax but I need skeletons that are compatable.

Gmax can import Autocad .dxf files and 3d Studio mesh .3ds, .prj and 3d Studio shape .shp files by default but I have my doubts that any of those formats store the skeleton.

Does a more experienced modder know what's wrong with the Half-Life import and what I can do, if anything, to fix it?

Is there a Gmax version of the skeletons I have missed?

Can 3dsmax export to Gmax?

Attached Files

Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#2 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (corthew @ Jan 27 2012, 02:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, since the tutorials Amos posted were done in 3dsmax I figured I'd try to free downscaled version, Gmax.

Unfortunately Gmax cannot load .max files.

I was able to locate a script to load the half-life files, but see image below for what happened to the skeleton.

I've not tried to manipulate it yet but I'm guessing it's broken.

I'm going to be checking out the advanced modding tutorials which should be fairly easily translatable to gmax but I need skeletons that are compatable.

Gmax can import Autocad .dxf files and 3d Studio mesh .3ds, .prj and 3d Studio shape .shp files by default but I have my doubts that any of those formats store the skeleton.

Does a more experienced modder know what's wrong with the Half-Life import and what I can do, if anything, to fix it?

Is there a Gmax version of the skeletons I have missed?

Can 3dsmax export to Gmax?

there is no Gmax exporters on 3ds max Honestly I think The two Programs are completely different, and not even made by the same developers. but what type of file formats dose Gmax support and I can tell you if 3dmax can eport to it , but its likely it can!

Ps 3DS Max has the same root bone issues as the program you are currently using trust me its no easier

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#3 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (PapaG @ Feb 13 2012, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is no Gmax exporters on 3ds max Honestly I think The two Programs are completely different, and not even made by the same developers. but what type of file formats dose Gmax support and I can tell you if 3dmax can eport to it , but its likely it can!

Ps 3DS Max has the same root bone issues as the program you are currently using trust me its no easier

GMax was created by Discreet, a division of Autodesk. It is a cut-down version of 3D Studio Max 4. Natively, it supports the gmax file format. It doesn't export to the max file format, and 3DS Max can't open gmax files.

I was poking around with GMax earlier this evening, in order to see if there was a viable way for those without access to 3DS Max to use it for getting mods into Moviestorm. I haven't finished my explorations yet, but here's what I've found so far:

After installing GMax (and registering), various "Game Pack" addons can apparently be installed to extend the functionality of Gmax. However, there seems to be only one gamepack available from Turbosquid, and that is the Tempest GamePack. This allows Gmax to work with MD3 files (the Quake III Arena file format).

(Tempest needs to be set up with a retail installation of Q3A and a copy of Q3Radiant to use Gmax to edit Quake maps, but that's a topic in itself.)

I don't know if MD3 is a viable intermediate format. I didn't explore that particular avenue any further. However, other scripts and plugins are available which further extend GMax in potentially more useful directions. For example, an MD5 exporter (I think Doom 3 uses this format) allows models to be exported in MD5 format. There is also a Milkshape importer/exporter for GMax *and* 3DS Max, which can be found here:

http://www.twcenter....p...ile&id=1718

There is also a NIF plugin that allows GMax to use DDS files (I don't know what NIF files are).
That can be downloaded here: http://www.moddb.com...ons/start/35747

Unfortunately, there isn't a Cal3D exporter for GMax.

I haven't finished exploring this topic yet, so I'm hoping there will be a way to use GMax to create models, assign materials to add textures and insert bones and make animations and then export these in a format that can be read by another application that can export to Cal3D so that the assets can be imported into Moviestorm via the Modders' Workshop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users