• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

I installed Greetingstorm (that's the name once installed on the iPad) aka Moviestorm Seasons Greetings (the iTunes App Store name) and played around with it a bit. I thought I'd share my review which I've posted on the iTunes App Store as well:

App and Review Link

I am a user of the full PC version of Moviestorm and a big fan as well. I have to say I came into trying this application with a fair degree of skepticism as I knew it's capabilities were limited in comparison to the full program and even the Moviestorm iPad version of the application. I figured that I would try out Greetingstorm as it was free and it would give me an idea of how the iPad version of Moviestorm would function and what could be produced with it. I have to say that after playing around with it for a bit that I am a big fan of this application as well.

The combination of the program with the iPad capabilities give you a one device, portable, mini production studio. The "pinch-in/squeeze" screen controls used to position the camera are actually easier to use than the full program interface in some respects. The program ran and rendered flawlessly on the iPad platform. The audio recording was remarkedly clear and I didn't even take care to isolate myself from background noise like usual. I made my first video in a matter of minutes. I fired the app up, selected a scene, add-libbed some dialogue, took a few pictures and changed the images along the timeline. Once this was all in place I customized the character, tweaked the gestures and set up my camera shots. It rendered in minutes.

I'm a new iPad user and I've since played around with both the iPad and the Greetingstorm program a little more and discovered some free apps that can be used to enhance the video further without touching the video on any other device. Free paint programs can be used to create title cards and images can be saved off of websites and added to your photos for use.

There are limitations of course. Your output is limited to one character positioned at a seasonal setting and there can only be one track of dialogue. At about the 2 minute mark you will be warned to not go too much further with the recording. I've found the lip synch to be acceptable at this length. I tried to do a straight shot on the image board to create a slide show of sorts without the character in frame but I could not. The full iPad app description mentions a slide show capability so that may be a limitation of this program.

I expect I'm ultimately going to purchase the iPad Moviestorm app but for now I'm going to play around with Greetingstorm a bit further. I'd encourage anyone with an iPad to give it a try.

#2 pollux

pollux

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

I've got it and love it.
Thanks for the review.