• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sicilian312

sicilian312

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

SO I would like to project the shadow of some blinds onto someone or onto a wall at least behind them... The spotlight doesn't project shadows and the interior lights as is do project shadows but seem to ignore objects in their way.

Does anyone know of a mod or setting I can use that would let me have "gobo" style lights so I can project shadows in the shape of things?

Thanks

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

I dont think we have working gobo's with our lighting, that project shadows.

Have you tried using the main directional lighting in combination with some blinds? You would need Interior lighting turned off, because you want the walls to cast shadows, and try to keep the set as small as possible so that the shadow resoultion is high, but I would expect it to work.

There are blinds in the base pack, and I think I saw a mod of some blinds at one point, where they opened different amounts.

Attached Files

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 sicilian312

sicilian312

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jan 16 2012, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think we have working gobo's with our lighting, that project shadows.

Have you tried using the main directional lighting in combination with some blinds? You would need Interior lighting turned off, because you want the walls to cast shadows, and try to keep the set as small as possible so that the shadow resoultion is high, but I would expect it to work.

There are blinds in the base pack, and I think I saw a mod of some blinds at one point, where they opened different amounts.

Thanks Ben. I don't have regular shadows... just a generic block shadow from the main light and a little edge shadow on the characters. This is probably going to be my last Macbook...

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Ah, that would make it more problematic, I'm afraid.
Some macbooks (the macbook pros) have both an intel graphics chip, and an ATI or Nvidia graphics card. It might be worth trying to find out if yours is one of them, as if you also have a graphics card, turning it on for Moviestorm will allow things to look better.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 sicilian312

sicilian312

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jan 17 2012, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, that would make it more problematic, I'm afraid.
Some macbooks (the macbook pros) have both an intel graphics chip, and an ATI or Nvidia graphics card. It might be worth trying to find out if yours is one of them, as if you also have a graphics card, turning it on for Moviestorm will allow things to look better.

No, I have the equivalent of a $1300 netbook... with an Intel chip and 144mb of shared video ram. Nothing hackable and no way to change any video card settings. angry.gif

Oh well, thanks for all your help so far, Ben.