6 replies to this topic

#1 chadaproductions

chadaproductions

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

Hi all,
This is really starting to annoy me. Almost every time I have tried to import a sketchup model into Modders workshop, it jut shuts down, with no message or warning. If people want, I can attach a video to show this problem physically going on.
Since I am new to modding, I first tried importing Sketchup models from Google Warehpuse, just to get the hang of improting etc. but i couldn't get them into M/Workshop, as this problem would occur. It has started happening on and off, even with my own Mods now. I would really appriciate any help.
Thanks,
Charlie

Chada Productions
Video Production & Animation

Website
Facebook Page
Follow Us On Twitter!
Email Us!

#2 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (chadaproductions @ Feb 2 2011, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,
This is really starting to annoy me. Almost every time I have tried to import a sketchup model into Modders workshop, it jut shuts down, with no message or warning. If people want, I can attach a video to show this problem physically going on.
Since I am new to modding, I first tried importing Sketchup models from Google Warehpuse, just to get the hang of improting etc. but i couldn't get them into M/Workshop, as this problem would occur. It has started happening on and off, even with my own Mods now. I would really appriciate any help.
Thanks,
Charlie

Which version of Sketchup is the model saved as? could be too new a version.
I can't remember which version we go up to, is it 5 or 6?
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#3 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Version 6, have to make sure you save it as version 6.

Also, some sketchup models in their original form can be way too complex to import into MS, sometimes you gotta work on them a bit to reduce polys etc.

#4 andy_price

andy_price

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 986 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

if you are using higher than sk6, you will need to use the save as feature in sketchup, and in the dropdown menu select sk6, or the MS will crash with no warning

forumsig.png

#5 chadaproductions

chadaproductions

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi,
I'm saving the files as S/UP 6 yes. Oddly enough, the problem seems to have fixed itself the moment I post about it (it is always the way isn't it?!) but if it happens again, I'll post another reply. Thanks guys smile.gif
Charlie

Chada Productions

Website
Facebook Page
Follow Us On Twitter!
Email Us!

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

SketchUp has a bit of a quirk. If you are using a higher version than SU6 and choose "Save As" to save as version 6 it works fine. But if you then happen to press "Save" for any reason it will overwrite the SU6 version with the higher one.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#7 chadaproductions

chadaproductions

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Feb 4 2011, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SketchUp has a bit of a quirk. If you are using a higher version than SU6 and choose "Save As" to save as version 6 it works fine. But if you then happen to press "Save" for any reason it will overwrite the SU6 version with the higher one.

Right, I'll keep that in mind. I think that might be the issue actually. Thanks smile.gif

Chada Productions

Website
Facebook Page
Follow Us On Twitter!
Email Us!