• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

Is this being considered at all? I didn't see any specific statements on timelines, etc on being able to make our own animations.

I have pretty much stopped using MS since Iclone allows me to make animations. Now that the pricing has changed MS needs to be able to compete with Iclone's abilities better.

Question 2: Yearly subscription vs. lifetime. If MS moves from say MS 2.0 to MS 3.0, I think the lifetime sub for 2.0 is no longer valid for 3.0. Will the yearly sub get a free upgrade to V3?

#2 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

As I understand it, any of the ongoing subscription plans (month-to-month, quarterly, annual) would cover whatever the current version is at any given point in time. The lifetime subscription (aka "the buyout") covers the current version through all point releases, up to the next major version number (such as in your example of going from version 2.0 to 3.0).

That said, we've got a way to go before we have to worry about 3.0... the current versioning is 1.3.x.
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#3 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (steelblade @ Jun 17 2010, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this being considered at all? I didn't see any specific statements on timelines, etc on being able to make our own animations.

I have pretty much stopped using MS since Iclone allows me to make animations. Now that the pricing has changed MS needs to be able to compete with Iclone's abilities better.

Question 2: Yearly subscription vs. lifetime. If MS moves from say MS 2.0 to MS 3.0, I think the lifetime sub for 2.0 is no longer valid for 3.0. Will the yearly sub get a free upgrade to V3?

There is currently no one in the office working on a puppet animation creation tool, we have other priorities.
If a third party who knows about Java development wants to work on one then we are more than happy to hear from them and assist.

And yes, sub pays for whichever version is available 1, 2, 3 whatever
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Jun 17 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is currently no one in the office working on a puppet animation creation tool, we have other priorities.
If a third party who knows about Java development wants to work on one then we are more than happy to hear from them and assist.

And yes, sub pays for whichever version is available 1, 2, 3 whatever

How difficult is java to learn? Just curious. I should probably learn that too.

#5 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jun 17 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/178935

#6 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

I downloaded Java blue which is a learning tool for Java and will play around with it this weekend. I was getting kind of bored anyway. Oh and my mods and props will never be available for any program but Moviestorm and I don't give away my original skp files either.

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

Actually you can edit motions in Iclone because you have to. They don't separate motions the way Movietorm does, i.e. gestures and postures, left hand, right hand, both hands, head. And there aren't enough motions that you need for everyday activites. For instance, you might have someone sitting in a chair or on the floor (the sit here dummies don't work in 4.0) but if you add another animation, it will have the person stand up or do whatever posture goes with that hand motion.

#8 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

As i understand the Lifetime membership - £149.99 Moviestorm is only valid till the next full version
So Moviestorm V4 will require a new LIFETIME subscription.

rather like

IClone4 Pro + Crazy talk 6 - £139.99 is only valid till the next version
So IClone 5 + Crazy talk 7 would require another purchase BUT you'd get a 40% discount if you upgraded from previous version 4 and 6

I would hope MOVIESTORM would offer a similar incentive but i have seen no sign of it in any document or in the many subscription topics on the forum .

hope this clears up the lifetime membership issue for you smile.gif

#9 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

As i understand the Lifetime membership - £149.99 Moviestorm is only valid till the next full version
So Moviestorm V4 will require a new LIFETIME subscription.

Moviestorm does not have a version 2, let alone a version 3 or 4.
If we ever release a new product (which might be Moviestorm 2, or it could be something else, or it might never happen), then people who had purchaced Moviestorm would not automatically have the new product as well, it would be a new product.

Lifetime membership for Moviestorm, is for Moviestorm, and not for any new products (and our company is not currently working on anything but Moviestorm).
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

Iclone is only licensed for use on one computer so if you upgrade from 3.0 to 4.2 or from 4.2 to any other new product, you can only use that new version also. And if you want to put it on other computers, you have to buy a whole new program. If you keep your old versions that you might have on another computer, you can continue to use the old one.

#11 roguevirus

roguevirus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jun 21 2010, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iclone is only licensed for use on one computer so if you upgrade from 3.0 to 4.2 or from 4.2 to any other new product, you can only use that new version also. And if you want to put it on other computers, you have to buy a whole new program. If you keep your old versions that you might have on another computer, you can continue to use the old one.

Errr yes if you want to own more than 1 copy otherwise you just install your exsisting copy on your new pc and there's even a button on website to transfer so NO EXTRA COPY needed.

#12 wizaerd

wizaerd

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jun 17 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you know how to program already, Java, as a language, is not difficult to pick up. What sucks about eveloping Java applications isn't the language, but the development environment. CLASSPATHs, JAR paths, different JVMs, etc...

I did it for a while, and stopped. Went back to .NET development, which just made waaaaay more sense, and was so much cleaner to develop.

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (wizaerd @ Jun 22 2010, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you know how to program already, Java, as a language, is not difficult to pick up. What sucks about eveloping Java applications isn't the language, but the development environment. CLASSPATHs, JAR paths, different JVMs, etc...

I did it for a while, and stopped. Went back to .NET development, which just made waaaaay more sense, and was so much cleaner to develop.

Thanks, I still haven't had time this week yet to get into it, but I think I should learn it.

#14 borg1of1

borg1of1

Novice director

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jun 17 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Java has similar language syntax to that of C/C++. It was not very hard to pick up if you already know C. I tried to learn C#.net, but gave up mostly because I wanted something that I could run on Windows and Linux - Microsoft can't stand supporting anything but Windows, so I dropped the C# effort. Besides, C# & .NET were kinda like Microsofts sour grapes over not being able to mold its Java JVM as it wanted with Windows specific addons that were not allowed by Sun. So they decided to invent .NET as an alternative the Java. But I digress...

The main drawback of Java is it is an interpreted language and is dependant on the JVM. Its garbage collection is not that good, but then neither is .NETs - its the price one pays for running in an enviornment where lazy programmers rely on the environment to clean up after themselves rather than spending time on efficient structured coding techniques. There is also a tendency for developer to create BLOATWARE - to save time, alot of developer rely on design tools that build apps fast, but often filled with bloated code and makes the app far less efficient than it could be if written more intelligently. Why, back in the day, developers strived to eliminate bloat and save every byte - the result being tight efficient code. Today, we trade off efficiency for being able to churn out code quickly. But I digress...

I found Java to be a fun language to learn. I'm just amazed it is used for Moviestorm - I would never have imagined Java being used for anything requiring strong graphics power. So, my appreciation for Java has just increased and my kudos to Moviestorm Java developers.

#15 MikeLyons

MikeLyons

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (borg1of1 @ Jul 31 2010, 04:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried to learn C#.net, but gave up mostly because I wanted something that I could run on Windows and Linux - Microsoft can't stand supporting anything but Windows, so I dropped the C# effort.

Well, if you change your mind, have a look at Mono:

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

An open source, cross-platform, implementation of C# and the CLR that is binary compatible with Microsoft.NET

#16 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:03 AM

I remember asking about the possibility of using a web cam to make your own animations and I think Ben said it was not possible, but with this web site I found http://www.ipisoft.com/ it looks like it just might be possible in the future, one day, maybe?

Regards
David

DEMO VIDEO
http://www.ipisoft.com/gallery.php

Moviestorm still Number One

#17 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (davidwww @ Aug 2 2010, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember asking about the possibility of using a web cam to make your own animations and I think Ben said it was not possible, but with this web site I found http://www.ipisoft.com/ it looks like it just might be possible in the future, one day, maybe?

Regards
David

DEMO VIDEO
http://www.ipisoft.com/gallery.php

IIRC, there was a discussion about motion capture, and the Moviestorm guys said that the biggest issue is that the motion capture files wouldn't integrate well with the current animations... so a character at rest in Moviestorm is not where the file would start or end. I think in the long run the answer is going to be an animation creator (like a keyframer), but I guess Moviestorm can afford to go a while before they decide to implement one.