Nav mesh

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coolwebranger

coolwebranger

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Walking Football, Bowls, Playing Keyboard (badly), Grandchildren, Motor homing with fabulous wife, Supporting Southampton FC, Bird watching, Photography (ex professional photographer), Walking moors, hills and rivers, too little time, so much to do.

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:28 PM

Hi.

Basic questions. How do I use a Navmesh? Is there a default Navmesh or do I need a mod addon. I am looking to make props like horses, carts, chariots, cars with people, etc to move. (I know there are different methods of moving cars)

Also how to use a navmesh on a platform so people can stand/move on it.

I have looked at Navmesh in forums but cant see a discussion that explains Navmesh and how to use.

As ever, very grateful for help

Regards

Dennis

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

There is a default navmesh and various addons have additional ones. Just place the navmesh where you want it and make sure you place the characters or props directly on it at the start of the scene. E.g. Don't create them on the ground and make them walk on to it. That approach is very glitchy if you then want to move the navmesh.

A thing to remember is that navmeshes have a leading edge which will always be at the front when you move them. Some have an arrow on them in Stage set mode to show the front. If you place something facing 90 degrees to that leading edge, then when you drag the navmesh, the object will rotate through that 90 degrees and will end up moving sideways for example.

Navmeshes were originally for raising things off the terrain but then became moveable. However you may come across one that is not moveable. So experiment with them to find which is best. Also try not to overlap Navmeshes as that can cause MS to crash. 

Good luck.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 Bazlawton31

Bazlawton31

Novice director

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:43 PM

Hi Dennis, I was going to add a comment but Prims excellent explanation covers it, so like Prim said just experiment.

#4 coolwebranger

coolwebranger

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Walking Football, Bowls, Playing Keyboard (badly), Grandchildren, Motor homing with fabulous wife, Supporting Southampton FC, Bird watching, Photography (ex professional photographer), Walking moors, hills and rivers, too little time, so much to do.

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:01 AM

That is really helpful guys, thank you. I have completed notes on my new project and will experiment before I complete the screenplay scripting.

Thank you for the help.

dennis