• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:43 AM

I have been obsessing over my Forum set.  I think I have developed some kind of neurosis about it. :)  I started really hating it, it looked drab and flat, etc.   I decided to redo pretty much every prop and put more attention into the resurfacing.   Not done yet, but here is some of the progress.   The ground is, as ever, the most difficult thing for me (haven't really attempted it in any of these shots), so I am saving it for last.    I want cobblestones but I don't want them to look so uniform -- since the set is so large (it is about 2.5-3X larger than the extra large set floor), any sort of repeated pattern is really obvious looking and distracting.

Attached Files

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

Been there. Done that. I eventually decided that, in my case, it was an avoidance technique, getting bogged down in details which keep you from finishing the movie. I once spent a whole day trying to perfect a candyfloss prop that was seen for about 3 secs in the movie.

The hard part is finishing the movie, the easy part is going back and fiddling with the set detailing. To paraphrase someone else "Don't get it perfect. Get it finished". ;)

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

I have been obsessing over my Forum set.  I think I have developed some kind of neurosis about it. :)  I started really hating it, it looked drab and flat, etc.   I decided to redo pretty much every prop and put more attention into the resurfacing.   Not done yet, but here is some of the progress.   The ground is, as ever, the most difficult thing for me (haven't really attempted it in any of these shots), so I am saving it for last.    I want cobblestones but I don't want them to look so uniform -- since the set is so large (it is about 2.5-3X larger than the extra large set floor), any sort of repeated pattern is really obvious looking and distracting.

300m squared nav mesh cobbled stone floor is what you are looking for ?

#4 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

Oh it absolutely is an avoidance tactic, prima--100%. I'm getting quite good at not doing anything! :)

And tree, I think 100m is fine, I am trying to just repeat a large prop a few times. I can't have it be one prop because there are so many lights (14 fire light sources and 7 hidden lamps) I have to be careful about no prop being hot by more than the max 8 light sources or it starts flashing (thanks Ben for more than doubling the old limit! That has saved me!).

#5 Ralvaz1

Ralvaz1

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:44 PM

He estado obsesionado con mi juego Foro. Creo que he desarrollado algún tipo de neurosis respecto. :)  Empecé realmente odiarlo, parecía monótona y plana, etc. decidí rehacer prácticamente todo apoyo y poner más atención en la repavimentación. No hace todavía, pero aquí es algunos de los avances. El suelo es, como siempre, lo más difícil para mí (en realidad no han intentado en alguna de estas vacunas), así que estoy guardando para el final. Quiero adoquines, pero no quiero que se vean de manera uniforme - ya que el conjunto es tan grande (se trata de 2.5-3X más grande que la planta más grande set), cualquier tipo de patrón que se repite es realmente obvio mirando y distracción.

¡Oh!  It is a spectacular work! :o

Human beings are complicated. not ask to be born. Do not know how to live. Do not want to die