• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shysf

shysf

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

What can be done to modify avatar faces so far? Iclone has some features but it is not free. can moviestorm do it?

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

There is some discussion on modding the face textures.

We dont yet have an easy way of morphing faces, or of putting photos onto faces, although they are both on our wishlist (although not just yet).

Oh, and in the Moviestorm office we tend to argue over whether to call them 'actors' or 'characters' (which seems to be winning), with 'puppets' being a past choice that definatly lost. 'Avatars' never got a look in, so far.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 Synnah

Synnah

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 410 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

I call them 'Sims'.
---------------------------
Short Fuze QA bloke

#4 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

'Characters' is good.
Except now I think of them as puppets..and the word's meaning has migrated in my head to include moviestorm characters.
I no longer exclusively think of knitted hand puppets when I hear the word.

#5 rocuro

rocuro

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

"Characters" sounds good at first blush, but when you think about it, a character is bound to a story. An "actor" brings their look and style to a variety of movies and can play a different "character" each time.

When you consider film making, as the director you tell an actor to move to his mark; you aren't telling a character to move to his mark, for the character doesn't exist until the movie is completed and experienced. It seems to me, therefore that Actors play characters. Our puppets would seem to be actors.

#6 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

Interesting post rocuro.

#7 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:29 AM

I think the reason why we call them "puppets" is because of their lack of free will. They don't move around by themselves and only move at your command. That's why they're called such as puppets. Only virtual.

If you made a little sock puppet, and leave it on a table, do you think it will move by itself?
[witty signature pending]

#8 CPT Destroyer

CPT Destroyer

Master Director

• Banned
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

(Spong3y)
If you made a little sock puppet, and leave it on a table, do you think it will move by itself?

Sounds like the premise of a bad B horror movie...