• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

I am finally trying to delve into the Modders Workshop so I can import some models I have converted using nb99's wonderful converter and I have even printed out the Importing Props page from the Pioneers section to guide me, but for the life of me I just can't seem to understand how to do it.
Has somebody else figured out how to do this using the Workshop, if so can you explain it to me like I'm not very clever. (but I can lift heavy things)

Regards
Davidwww

Moviestorm still Number One

#2 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

I never managed to do it either.
I have heard rumours that some have worked it out.
I don't see much evidence of users having been able to use this facility in their movies, which suggests it is too hard to do for most, in it's present form.

#3 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

I've only fiddled with the Modshop. It's really in a rough state.

Have you managed to create and publish an Addon? I think that that would be your first step.

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

Once you have exported a model as cal files with each of these files:
a skeleton .csf file
a mesh .cmf file
a set of material .crf files
These all go into a directory (which you will have to create) for the prop.
For example
Moviestorm/AddOn/Base01/Data/Props/Primitives
contains these files for the primatives.
If you were creating a new prop, and wanting to publish it in a new addon, then you might put it in
Moviestorm/AddOn/[my addon name]/Data/Props/[my prop name]

Then, as a subdirectory of that prop, you would need a Textures directory, and you will need to put the textures from the prop in there.

Then comes the modders workshop part (you now need a modders licence to start the modders workshop, which you then can do from the settings menu on the advanced tab).
In the modders workshop, you need to find your new prop.
Browse the folder tree through Models/Props and find your new prop. You can also right click on props and select filter and type your props directory name in.
Once you have found your prop's directory, browse to the templates folder, and right click on it and select New Template. Choose a name for the template (possibly the same as the prop directory).

You then get a new section at the bottom of the tree window. Start by adding a mesh (there will often only be one), and adding each of the materials. As you add materials, they should appear in the 3D view.

Each material can be clicked on in the material list, and you can then configure the textures that material uses.

Once you have set up all the materials, you can save the template. Check it saved in the correct directory, and if not, right click on it and move it to your new addon.

It is now a good idea to click back on the prop directory in the browse tree, which should bring up a Properties window in the lower pane. From there you can set tags (for searching for it), and important things such as making it scaleable. Save the properties (at the bottom) when you are done.

Then you will need to publish your addon. Use the publisher login button on the top bar, with your login and password from the modders workshop registration.
Browse the AddOns folder at the top level, and find your new addon (probably at the top of the list).
Click it, untick 'requires a licence' and hit publish. This should enable your addon to be usable in game. There is also a pack button, which will compress it for distribution to other people.

Go try your new prop on set.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

Ben, everything seems so simple once you've explained it.

#6 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

Oh no it isn't.

#7 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

I'm really glad that its not just me and now that Ben has explained it all, I will go and try to get a new prop into Moviestorm, see this is me putting a new prop into MS

Regards
David

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

(davidwww)

I dont think my explanation entirely got though.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#9 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:59 AM

(Ben_S)
I don't think my explanation entirely got though.

Actually I have been sought of successful, after some trial and error I manage to get two props into MS, but as you can see I am having trouble with size, although I did tick resizable, tintable and add own pictures the options are not showing up also I had to go through the entire props list as they are not showing up under the tag system and of course the models didn't come with textures, maybe I'll just have to wait for a more intuitive version.

Regards
David

#10 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

That seems to be good progress, at least.

Tintable is set on a per-material level for the template; selecting the right material is fairly important. I'm not sure whether it is compatible with the user image tag, though.

Resizable not working combined with not being able to search for the prop in the props list implies that the discriptor is missing.
After clicking resizable, did you also select one (or more) of the tags and click save at the bottom of the page? If so, this should have created the DISCRIPTOR file.
Once that is done, you would need to re-publish the addon in the modders workshop.
Hopefully then your props would appear when using the search functions (and be resizable).

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#11 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:16 PM

I'm fairly certain that I selected the tags for each prop but I will do it again just to see if it fixes it and I have found a nice prop that has separate textures and I will try and convert that and import it into Moviestorm.
Thanks Ben for your help.

Regards
David

#12 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

Ok I've been able to get a prop with textures into MS, but even after your suggestions they still won't scale and don't show up under the tag system, I have to manually go through the props to find them?, so I have no idea if its a bug or I'm not doing it right.

Regards
David

The fish are just a static picture but you could replace the fish with green and chroma some fish footage in.

#13 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

OK, a few more questions to try and isolate your problem.
In the modders workshop, do the tags you ticked (and the scaleable property) continue to stay ticked if you exit the modders workshop and go back to it?

Is there a file called DISCRIPTOR in the directory where you put the prop mesh and skeleton? If so, then it should be openable in a text editor, and have a set of attributes and a list of tags.

If it is missing, but the tags stay ticked in the modders workshop, then what has happened is it has been saved in the wrong place. Go looking for it in other addons in the same directory structure, ie Data/Props/[yourpropname], or in Data/Props which isnt in any addons.
If you find it, move it over to the correct addon, and you will have to re-publish the addon from within the modders workshop.

If the DISCRIPTOR file is there fine, and the tags are staying ticked correctly in the modders workshop, then maybe the addon hasnt been published correctly; let me know if this is the case.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#14 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

Excellent Ben, you were right on the money the descriptor was under data/props instead of addon/ and now it works beautifully the fish tank shows up under tags and is scalable, so is it some thing I am doing wrong when I save the prop or is MS misdirecting them?

Regards
David

#15 Synnah

Synnah

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:31 PM

(davidwww)
The fish are just a static picture but you could replace the fish with green and chroma some fish footage in.

It would be easier in this case to set the material that has the image to accept a User Image, so that you can attach video to it (Or at least, it would be if video playing on props weren't currently broken. Next build...)
---------------------------
Short Fuze QA bloke

#16 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

(davidwww)
Excellent Ben, you were right on the money the descriptor was under data/props instead of addon/ and now it works beautifully the fish tank shows up under tags and is scalable, so is it some thing I am doing wrong when I save the prop or is MS misdirecting them?

Regards
David

Well, good to hear you have got it working; I've not had MS save that one in the wrong place, before, but it has happened several times with templates.

There is a 'Current Addon' (different from the addon filter) dropdown in the modders workshop, on the panel at the top, i think. That should determine which addon your newly saved files go into, although it should work sensibly with defaults (note the word 'should', might be better as 'sometimes').
Also, sometimes new addons dont appear in that list untill they have been published at least once, which can be a confusion.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#17 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

I am getting better at importing models into Moviestorm, but it still hit and miss, in this picture I have imported a road prop and a new vehicle, nothing says status like a vehicle with a large gun mounted on the back.
I do have a problem with the road prop as the ground textures keep coming through the road surface, I think the road needs to be slightly above the set, not sure how to do that one.

Regards
Davidwww

#18 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:11 AM

david-

I'm not sure (and it's a bit hacky) but I think that you can adjust the placement of a prop in the movie.mscope file located in \"username"\Moviestorm\Movies\"moviename". I'd think though that since we now have a few props (rugs, comedy stage, and dance floors) that lay upon the ground that there should be a way of doing it.

I've tried to do something but have had a hard time getting a texture with an alpha channel/transparency to work in the Mod Shop.

Any suggestions? A certain compression or format?

#19 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:40 AM

(AngriBuddhist)
david-Speaking of ground props, I'd like to see a set of larger pieces that take a floor texture and are of various connectable shapes and sizes so that outdoor areas are not all squared off.

I've tried to do something like this but have had a hard time getting a texture with an alpha channel/transparency to work in the Mod Shop.

Any suggestions? A certain compression or format?

Thats why I'm trying to get road props into MS, so any street scene looks more normal, so far I have managed a straight road piece and a left corner which can be rotated to be a right corner, except the floor keeps showing through and ruining the look, I might have a look at the rug props and see what they might have different and this might help you with your alpha problem http://www.moviestor...s/list/487.page not all of it is relevant as you have to publish you mod now to get it working but hopefully it will give you some idea.

Regards
David

EDIT: I have just figured out how to make the ground texture not show through my roads, for each material you have to tick z float and then the prop must just hover above the ground texture and nothing shows through, I will post a screen shot in a minute.

(Tom)
First, it is good policy that we duplicate "Simple" folder in "C:\Program Files\Moviestorm\AddOn\Base\Data\Props" folder.
That way we can toying (ups, testing) with textures and everything without danger. For example, I have "simple2" and "Simple3" folder in there.
About alpha textures; prepare png texture with alpha and put it in "Textures" folder under "Simple" folder or whatever folder you made.
In Modelworkshop (props - title editor) you will see your new folder already listed. Click on that folder and in Template editor choose item like Backdrop or SimplePoster.
In diffuse channel replace text "Grey192.png" with prepared "YourTextureName.png". Don't forget to turn on "Smooth Transparency" and "Two Sided" in same window.
Now, this is very important: if you left ModelWorkshop right away all changes will be lost. Instead, go to "Template list" on top of the screen and save your new Backdrop or SimplePoster as new template.
This is it.
Your template is now in your object list, together with alpha, thumbnail, everything. smile.gif

#20 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:00 AM

I have managed to get a few prop roads published, they do need to be marginally bigger as the cars overlap the sides (these ones have been scaled up to the max) hopefully I will figure out how to make them a bit larger.

Regards
David