• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

I've been scouring the settings but am probably totally missing something obvious. I have a prop which refuses to be lit. I can adjust the enviromental lighting or place lights all around it but nothing will hit it. It'd be cool if it was a Black Hole prop but it's not, any suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

One thing that can cause odd effects with lighting a prop would the surfaces pointing in the wrong directions.
Or the normal map being inverted.

This tends to result in lighting effects which happen as though the light was comming from a different direction to where the light source is, as opposed to just no lighting at all. Is that what is hapening?
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

I haven't applied a normal map and no the prop is not lit. I can bring the lighting all the way up or all the way down and while everything else around it reflects this, it remains completely the same.

Edit: The prop begins at and retains the lighting level of a set with the "sun" almost completely dialed down.

#4 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

From the pics in the other thread, I don't see any problems but...

Is anyone else having problems with Sketchup models not being lit correctly? When I am setting up a new prop's template, I can already tell that they're pretty dark. Adjusting the "shininess" of the texture, unlike usual, has no effect. And in MS, the prop, which has the same texture as another item, won't reflect the lighting but completely matches the other item when I crank the sun all the way down.

Anyone?

#5 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

Did you try rotating the 'sun' lightsource around the scene; does it realy have no effect on the prop?
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#6 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

Ben,

When testing Sketchup, you make a small flat square. If you still have that prop, check it. My props are of various sizes but all are practically 2D, they are so thin. I have just found that if I raise them up above a lamp they will be lit from below. That's annoying.

#7 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:24 PM

Hmm. If in Sketchup, I reverse the face (surface) orientation so that the top is now the bottom, once I import to MS, the lighting seems to work fine. Actually, this doesn't change the prop in any way. It only adds an extra step.

#8 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:15 AM

LoL. You'd think that I'd have given up a long time ago.

Now that the oriention is flipped and the lighting works, I cannot select the prop. The cursor never changes. Every other prop works just fine.

My guess- The materials are assigned to surfaces which are now face down so MS doesn't register the surfaces that are face up. Well, that's the theory I'm going with.

It wouldn't be such a pain if 1.) I knew what the hell I was doing, and 2.) It wasn't necessary to close and restart the Workshop for every change or to start MS to test a prop on set.

#9 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:29 AM

(AngriBuddhist)
LoL. You'd think that I'd have given up a long time ago.

Now that the oriention is flipped and the lighting works, I cannot select the prop. The cursor never changes. Every other prop works just fine.

My guess- The materials are assigned to surfaces which are now face down so MS doesn't register the surfaces that are face up. Well, that's the theory I'm going with.

It wouldn't be such a pain if 1.) I knew what the hell I was doing, and 2.) It wasn't necessary to close and restart the Workshop for every change or to start MS to test a prop on set.

When I first stared using the Workshop, I spent half an hour trying to find out how you log out and switched to the opening menu, until I realised you had to actually log off and restart again and another pain is having to type in your code over and over to publish your mod, every time you change the prop or it doesn't show up and you have to go back into the workshop try to fix the problem and then publish it again, why can't the code just be used just the once and that's it.

Regards
David

Moviestorm still Number One

#10 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:45 AM

Or have your info just save and when you go to login have the window pop up and give you the option to hit one button to login as you and another to login as not you.

It's probably just for security so that someone else, who doesn't have a license, doesn't publish something to the eventual marketplace.