30 replies to this topic

#1 twilit.tera

twilit.tera

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hi, folks!

I've done my share of griping about what Moviestorm doesn't do. I also see a lot of requests from individuals scattered about this folder. Today I want to take a positive, organized approach. In fact, I want to go one further, and put my mouth where my money is, so to speak. As much as I love freebies, Moviestorm won't survive if it doesn't make money, so I want to make a list of things I want to pay for. Judging by some of the sneak previews, they're already working on some of these, but how will they know what we want unless we tell them. Let's make it easier... This thread could provide a single place to look for ideas for upcoming releases.

So, here's my list:

1. more animations, particularly involving props and puppet interraction, ie more types of touching, grappling, holding, caressing...

2. Children! (yes, I'm aware of the animation difficulties in short puppets... I expect they'd have to be scripted separately or somethng.) To me, kids are just a necessary ingredient... What community does not have children? (Stepford, maybe?) Even Funland reminds me of the first Spy Kids film, with Floop wracking his brains trying to figure out what's missing. (Scary thought - does anyone rememeber the minor character Funland from one of the Gaiman Sandman comics?)

3. animated creatures - cats, dogs, goldfish, horses, cows, elephants, birds, butterflies... that list is potentially endless.

Hmm. That's all I can think of right now.

So... what would YOU pay for?

#2 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, twilit.tera!

These have been mentioned before, but it's worth repeating:

1. A custom face designer.
  2. The ability to enhance existing animation (behaviors) with some good old fashioned keyframe animations.
  3. A simpler means of importing my own content.

For these things I would surely pay.
MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66 GHz - 4 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT - Snow Leopard (10.6.4)

#3 Killian

Killian

Director

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

My wish list:-

1) Rideable Horses/other animals (Western movies?)
2) Historical/ Fantasy/Sci-fi costume packs (Nuff said; costumes and accessories)
3) Somewhat associated with 2); fully moddable costumes (thinking along the lines of iClone's Clonecloth here; a set of costume meshes/model overlays that can be added onto existing models to enable further customisation of exising/new costumes)
4) Larger sets (with walkthrus from outside to inside for tracking shots; walls/floors/ceilings that can be switched invisible or "hinged" to enable true seemless shots)
5) More diverse set packs (car-parks, sports halls, rivers... yes, water! We want water props! Oceans, streams, ponds!!! Walkable bridges!!! Pant, pant... ok, I'm calm now...)
5) A face/hairstyle maker (I know this one is possibly on the cards already...)
6) Boats, motorcycles, push bikes; more kinds of driveable transport...

I could go on, but that's probably a lot to be going on with! smile.gif

#4 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Killian @ Feb 8 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wish list:-

1) Rideable Horses/other animals (Western movies?)

Amen. Also being able to actually get in and out of existing cars. Or the ability to pick a car puppet that actually looks like a puppet we're using.
2) Historical/ Fantasy/Sci-fi costume packs (Nuff said; costumes and accessories)
3) Somewhat associated with 2); fully moddable costumes (thinking along the lines of iClone's Clonecloth here; a set of costume meshes/model overlays that can be added onto existing models to enable further customisation of exising/new costumes)

This is the 'user image' costumes I've been talking about. Need a good paint program (paint.net will use DDS and it's free) but one can add chevrons to the uniforms, blood stains, spilled coffee, etc.
4) Larger sets (with walkthrus from outside to inside for tracking shots; walls/floors/ceilings that can be switched invisible or "hinged" to enable true seemless shots)

If you have the mod shop, part of this can be had. The normal walls and ceilings aren't hidable like props are (not yet - HINT HINT), but the normal walls and ceilings can be replaced by sketchup imports that are. At least for now.
5) More diverse set packs (car-parks, sports halls, rivers... yes, water! We want water props! Oceans, streams, ponds!!! Walkable bridges!!! Pant, pant... ok, I'm calm now...)
5) A face/hairstyle maker (I know this one is possibly on the cards already...)
6) Boats, motorcycles, push bikes; more kinds of driveable transport...

I could go on, but that's probably a lot to be going on with! smile.gif

Being able to raise puppets will make any prop 'walkable' so once that feature returns or DL Watson's mod, or the gizmo coming up, etc. For me driveable props is more an issue, and animations.

I think the base animations should be increased. There isn't a terrible lot they can do at the moment. Prop related animations, IE horse riding for a western pack, can be sold with their packs. Specialty animations IE a Kung Fu addon, A sports addon with long jumps, high jumps, etc, can be sold as addons, too.

Being able to stand up and hold a coffee cup I wouldn't pay for, that should be included. but the addons I mentioned, and others (a military pack complete with the military sign language they use) are things I'd pay for. Especially if they come with associated props.

#5 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

Being able to customize costumes, create new costumes and customize faces are a big wish for me. And of course to be able to resize avatars, make them shorter, taller, thinner, etc.

#6 rgr

rgr

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

Although there are some obvious things a lot of us want (like being able to get into and out of a car, pick up a prop and put it down again, like a coffee cup or a cigarette, or a book), MS can actually "do" a ton of things that are not always obvious. I would pay for tutorials to be produced that cover more deep topics, like using existing animations with clever camera work to simulate some other animation.

Maybe we could put together user contributed "bounties" that can be claimed in the way of points by people who create tutorials that meet with sufficient approval (I presume we could use the existing voting system for this).

By "bounties" I mean fund some specific set of tutorials (like "how to simulate a character using hand tools" or "how to make your set look like it continues out to the horizon" or "how to get your character to walk up a rocky slope"), then if/when the tutorial video is uploaded, contributors vote on it to grant the bounty to the creator.

This is probably slightly off topic for this thread, but I'll bet there are many clever folks on this forum that can already get great animations from the current capabilities of MS that I'm unable to get because I don't (yet) know the proper technique, and I'm guessing I'm not unique in that.

rgr

#7 twilit.tera

twilit.tera

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

I totally second water props and historically themed content packs (Classical Rome would suit me very well! hint, hint)

Thanks everybody, for adding their wishes. smile.gif

Edit: Make that classic Greek, actually... =D

#8 mcornetto

mcornetto

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

I think most of the items listed in this thread would be useful.

I have a number of scripts that have children in them so that would be extremely useful.

Mirrors would be good. As would water.

Better lighting would be helpful - having it on the time line

3d support - I know I've mentioned it umpteen times but it would be so easy for you guys to support.

One of the most useful things I can think of though would be skinnable props. Like maybe primatives, a cylinder, sphere, rectangle, etc. That we can easily skin. They don't have to be able to do much with it, maybe just hold it and present it (or something like that). But a number of times I've longed for being able to do just that.

#9 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:19 AM

I've nothing original to add here really other than the echo all thoughts on non adult-humanoid puppets.

Children, dogs, horses etc, top o' the list. To start with you wouldn't even need to have any interaction animations between the non A-H and the A-H puppets - we're a creative bunch and could fudge most things anyways smile.gif

PN

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#10 supermep

supermep

Master Director

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:03 AM

I want it all... hopefully it all will come in due time....

#11 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:40 AM

I certainly agree with pretty much everything above, I would pay for animation packs that give my puppets the ability to jump, dive, crawl and for my horror movies beg for mercy, use threatening gestures with stabbing/slashing motions which could go along side held weapons props. Dirtier textures for walls, floors for that less clean atmospheric look. Basically more serious addons are a must, things that will give us less cartoony type things and more action and deep producing abilities.

I know the staff are aware of the current lighting limitations, but only having the sun as the source of directional light and not being able to change it over time in the timeline could do with a much welcomed change.

I know the staff have said about the issues raised with differing sized puppets but it would be nice for us the producers and customers to be able to choose how we deal with the potential issues rather than not being able to try because moviestorm wants to make our lives simple.

Oh and please for the love of god please give us a bigger stage and get rid of those horrible mountain things that most of us spend so much time trying to hide, this has been mentioned so many times but we hardly seem to get any response from the team about it, it makes us feel these and most other points made in this thread are being avoided, a "we are working on it" comment could at least boost our confidence more (as long as it was not an empty statement). A bigger stage would benefit us greatly and allow us to be more creative in our shots and filming, while at the same time making our lives easier wince we can then concentrate more on getting our dream shots done without spending ages trying to find work arounds and trying to mask the fact our sets are actually tiny, I mean for in door shots the stage is fine as is but it currently limits our out door ability. I would love to have car chase scenes and more but the small stage means that right now no sooner has a car started moving its run out of road and the director struggles to get good angles that don`t show the horrible empty space outside of the set dry.gif

As you can see I feel really strongly about these points and many others mentioned in this thread, it would be nice to be informed of these things being addressed....please sad.gif

#12 twilit.tera

twilit.tera

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:08 PM

I know the staff have said about the issues raised with differing sized puppets but it would be nice for us the producers and customers to be able to choose how we deal with the potential issues rather than not being able to try because moviestorm wants to make our lives simple.

My thoughts exactly. I mean it's not like we're unused to "faking" certain animations. Increasing the range of "workable" animations can come in time, but something to start with is good too.

#13 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Feb 9 2010, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*we hardly seem to get any response from the team about it, it makes us feel these and most other points made in this thread are being avoided, a "we are working on it" comment could at least boost our confidence more (as long as it was not an empty statement). dry.gif

The lack of different height puppets is not simply because it may throw up a couple of problems with doorways or seats, as has been explained before it either requires a very clever IK solution which we currently don't have the manpower to achieve or to re-export every single animation for each size skeleton - again, no manpower for such a task.

We have replied to almost all of these requests in previous threads. The reply usually mentions that we are a small team who have to prioritise tasks, not just picking what sort of pack would be nice to do first but tackling errors, stuff that is hidden away inside, r&d and so on. The working day is usually so filled with problem solving that I end up making the fun packs in my time off.

We do read what you type, no matter how annoying or repetetive it is tongue.gif but please don't expect us to reply to every single request with a comment on when we will get around to it or how far through production it may be, that's like asking Willy Wonka what his next top secret chocolate bar is going to be.
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#14 squadronfilms

squadronfilms

Director

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

I secound every post above with what I would gladly pay for. I would also like to add into the mix a terrain editor. Having the nice green grass outside the set is nice if your in a area where it should be green but what if your shooting a desert scene or winter scene? Would be nice to edit that area with terrain colours and maybe even give it trees etc, I know you can add them using props but that can end up being very time consuming.
More UK based packs too. IE brit police, fire service, mail box etc. i know there is alot of brit stuff and to be honest im not sure is MS is made by us brits or the yanks but i can tell you one thing i'm a security guard by trade i thats not like my uniform at all (Iwish I had a gun) lol.

Its a shame you end up making the fun packs in your spare time as they all look amazing i we could do with many more.

Keep it up guys wub.gif
Paul Firmin-IMDB
Producer/Director
Squadron Films

#15 twilit.tera

twilit.tera

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Feb 9 2010, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We do read what you type, no matter how annoying or repetetive it is tongue.gif but please don't expect us to reply to every single request with a comment on when we will get around to it or how far through production it may be, that's like asking Willy Wonka what his next top secret chocolate bar is going to be.

Well, I'm glad that you do read, it makes us feel speshul. smile.gif

However, the fact that the subjects keep coming up is a very good reason to have a single wish list thread... any chance we could put a sticky on this?

Also, this sounds to me like a catch 22... you need to put out fires, of course, or we won't have a product to use, OTOH, you don't really get paid for fixing things, do you? You get paid for additional content, right? So how does that work when you don't get to add content except in your "spare time"? blink.gif I think I'm beginning to see the reason behind selling those subscriptions.

#16 Stormscape

Stormscape

Master Director

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE (kv @ Feb 9 2010, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh and please for the love of god please give us a bigger stage and get rid of those horrible mountain things that most of us spend so much time trying to hide.

Please. Please.

#17 lina820

lina820

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

I agree with everything that has been said, but the things on the top of my list are:

Children (including babies with crawling animation)
Customizing the face (I really want to be able to recolor the eyes)
Customizing hair (I want to be able to make it longer and some pigtail options would be nice)
Animals
Shorter Characters
Customizing customs
Being able to control the length of animation (there might be a way to do this that I don't know about.)
Having the skin color be the same for the whole body (including the texture)

#18 twilit.tera

twilit.tera

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (lina820 @ Feb 10 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..Customizing customs

Customizing what?

QUOTE (lina820 @ Feb 10 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being able to control the length of animation (there might be a way to do this that I don't know about.)

I've found that most animations can be adjusted using the timeline. Just select the triangle on the right edge of the animation and slide it whichever direction you need. (Or maybe I don't understand the question.)

#19 wizaerd

wizaerd

Director

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:25 PM

Things I would pay for? Depends on the cost of course, but the things I would absolutely flip over:

1) More elaborate animations, more interactive with props and other puppets
2) A way to create, save, and re-use custom animations.
3) Costume Customizations, where tops are separate from bottoms, which are separate from shoes, etc...
4) Import 3DS, OBJ, or SketchUp models directly in the Set Workshop that didn't involve the Modders Workshop, and it's overly complicated directory structure and importing process.
5) Male hairstyles that don't suck.
6) Face Customizations, or map a photo onto a face like that iCrap (iclone...) application...

Most of which has been stated already, but they're obviously important to lots of folks...

#20 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:26 AM

I'd like this.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"