Photo

Skeletons and experience - Research thread

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Skeletons and experience - Research thread (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Which 3d modelling/animation software do you currently use? (PLEASE BE HONEST)

1. Blender (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. 3DS MAX (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. Maya (2 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

4. Sketchup (19 votes [48.72%])

Percentage of vote: 48.72%

5. other (please state in a reply) (2 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

6. None but I'd like to (4 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

What experience do you have with bones/modelling/animation? (AGAIN, BE HONEST PLEASE)

1. Have built a full IK/FK character bone rig, weighted, textured and animated it (3 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

2. Have built a prop bone rig, weighted, textured and animated it (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Have built and textured a mesh (8 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

4. Just bring stuff in from Sketchup (11 votes [42.31%])

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

5. None, but it sounds fun (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

This is a research thread to help us understand who is using what right now.

Don't read too much in to this, its more down to my own curiosity than any movement on skeletons and stuff wink.gif
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#2 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

Answered but I'll also say that, although Sketchup is how I currently roll, if the skeletal and rigging information were going to be released, I'd definitely start plowing into Blender. It's within my budget.

#3 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:23 PM

I've made stuff from scratch in sketchup, and adapted other things, too. It all depends on what I need, vs what is available.

#4 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

I play around with sketchup a bit, but mainly I work with Blender. My knowledge is rudimentary, I made meshes and did UV mapping for textures, and I did a really basic bone rigging once, but nothing really on weighting or animating. I'm still learning, and hope to get to the point where I can do those other things. If the documentation ever does come out, I intend to make use of it.....not reading into anything of course wink.gif

#5 Reacher

Reacher

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 307 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

Mostly Blender, with some SketchUp, but I try many free or inexpensive 3D packages. Also end up writing some of my own file tweaking scripts, and use 010 Editor (hex edit).

-- Reacher

#6 apostolos

apostolos

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

I mainly import from SU; but i have max 6 and 7, Daz3D, IClone3 and 4, and Lightwave 9.0, but I don't really know how to use them. But I will spend some time learning them when I go on summer break from college. cool.gif

#7 Mneros

Mneros

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:40 AM

I use 3dsmax when needed, but for the most part I use SKP. If my SKP needs a bone I import into 3dsmax and export in to MS. example.... guns need a Bone.

I also use 3dsmax for thing I'll need to add into After Effects. like an explosion of debris and a crater as an example.

#8 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:10 AM

I'm just doing stuff with Sketchup for now, but I have downloaded Blender (and had Truespace for a while as well).

I'm primarily interested in making accessories for the puppets, for now at least.

PN

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#9 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

Yeah, just sketchup here. I've done 2D animation back in the day. I went dumpster diving outside of Filmation Studios (RIP) in L.A. back in the late '70s (still have a few of their old cells & storyboards). Does that count?