Photo

Thoughts on Moviestorm no longer being Free.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Apr 15 2010, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's absolutely fine Armanus, we think the rental route is the most logical and beneficial way to go about things in this day and age. Too many packages charge huge amounts of money with no guarantee of re-usability either if the software is discontinued or even upgrades - take 3DS MAX for example, over the years I have seen companies waste thousands of pounds on plugins that became obsolete within 12 months of purchase due to an Autodesk code update or the plugin manufacturers going bust. I certainly wish Autodesk would let me rent whichever plugins I wanted to use as and when I needed them!

But that said there are still huge benefits to buying packs outright if you are working on a major project (both in savings and simplicity in not having to remember to update it for each days rental). And as your projects get bigger and require more packs, chances are the free points won't stretch that far!

But the way you go is all up to you the user, and that's why we think it works so well smile.gif

Now, go tell Autodesk to do this too biggrin.gif

I agree with that. I probably would buy packs if the circumstances required it. It boils down to which way is the most practical way to go.
Thanks for taking the time, Chris. Now if, in the future, someone else brings up the same issue I did, I can help you defend it wink.gif
Best of luck!

#42 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (steelblade @ Apr 15 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are no free points. They are part of the subscription cost. Which makes me wonder 1) why we have to pay for them but not get them immediately 2) why there isn't a 'no points' subscription option.

I'm not sure what you mean about "pay for them but not get them immediately".

You pay monthly, you get 800 points monthly.
You buy a 3-month or 12-month membership, you get a bigger dollop of points up front and nothing later.

What is it you're asking for?

The Moviestorm Team

#43 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

You do not have to subscribe after the free 30 day membership in order tokeep using Moviestorm, get upgrades and buy content packs. The advantages to getting a subscription are twofold. First you earn points and to buy content packs with points instead of money is great because the amount of points you need to buy many packs is less than what you would pay if you bought them without a subscription.

Secondly you can also get a Modder's license and make mods and even sell them. And you can use the mods that the other modders make, most of them for free. And of course if you have the modder's license you can make your own props and sets again saving you a lot of money and enabling you to make unique movies with your very own style.

Most of the modders offer their props and sets for free and they very good and very prolific.

#44 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 19 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do not have to subscribe after the free 30 day membership in order to keep using Moviestorm, get upgrades and buy content packs. [...] the amount of points you need to buy many packs is less than what you would pay if you bought them without a subscription.

Unless you registered before April 1, 2010, you do have to subscribe to continue using Moviestorm after the free 30 day trial. You will not be able to upgrade to Moviestorm 1.3 without a subscription.

Also, there is no difference in price for packs regardless of whether you have a subscription. However, you can't buy packs for cash, and you can't buy points unless you're a subscriber. Effectively, you can't actually get packs without a sub unless someone gifts you points.

The Moviestorm Team

#45 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Moviestorm @ Apr 19 2010, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you registered before April 1, 2010, you do have to subscribe to continue using Moviestorm after the free 30 day trial. You will not be able to upgrade to Moviestorm 1.3 without a subscription.

Also, there is no difference in price for packs regardless of whether you have a subscription. However, you can't buy packs for cash, and you can't buy points unless you're a subscriber. Effectively, you can't actually get packs without a sub unless someone gifts you points.

I didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying this. I am already a subscriber and have used the software for three years now. However, subscribing is a good deal for everyone.