• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Trinity

Trinity

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

Congrats, Lucinda. i am downloading it now, and can't wait to watch it...
Writer / Producer / Director

DIGIPENDENCE.com - my blog about 3D moviemaking, machinima, animation, cinematic design, sequential art, graphic novels, web comix, fan films, and independent film, video & photo production.

#22 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:06 PM

Thank you Trinity for downloading and watching Tangent. It is also on VEOH and IFILM and I have less problems watching movies on those sites than here. That is because I always make my final movie in the highest resolution I can. I just want everything I make to be shown at its best and since I make long movies, they tend to be big files.

#23 DavidB

DavidB

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

Lucinda - thanks, not just for the movie, but for the huge personal commitment you have made to answering people's comments on the forums.
David J W Bailey ACA MA MSc GIBiol MInstD

blog.david.bailey.net www.twitter.com/davidjwbailey www.flickr.com/people/davidjwbailey

#24 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:57 AM

Well thank you for the wonderful software and for noticing the movie! It is my pleasure!! No one should be allowed to be having this much fun making movies as I am!!!

#25 oxman

oxman

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

Your sets are amazing....would you mind sharing how you did it?

Oxman

#26 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

(oxman)
Your sets are amazing....would you mind sharing how you did it?

Oxman

The sets are really easy to do. For the city set, I still have the original beta that had the modders workshop and in that program I modified the simple objects to accept an image. I then transfered these texture files over to beta 2.0. The strange thing is that although I did this, the new simple objects won't take an image, however, my original city sets and all the other sets still show images on those simple objects. So all I do to use a simple object to allow an image is to just reuse any sets where I had simple objects with images on them, modify the set and put a different image on the simple object depending upon what I want to do.

But I also use backdrops a great deal. The living room set for the first scene was made with backdrops and an extraordinary set of photos of an old hotel done by a flickr.com submitter. The photos were so well done that when I put them on backdrops and angled them just right, I came up with a very complete room. Also because of the ability of any of the props to stick to anything else, you can put plants and things on the backdrop to look like they are actually in a room.

For the mini city, I used the modders workshop to make all the objects scalable, so I could make miniture cars and everything else I needed. The strange thing is that by transferring those texture files over to the new beta version 2.0, in those sets all the objects are still scalable.

I use a lot of different images from morguefile.com, my own personal collection and flickr.com. Recently I have been purchasing professional stock photos to use because the quality is so good.

To make a simple building you need a photo of a house or a building that is very square - that is front on, not at an angle. They look really good when either placed on a backdrop or a simple object.

I also use Adobe Photoshop a lot to modify the images, like take out sky above houses and put tree leaves in so they blend with the background better.

I plan to make all the images I have which are hi res available soon so everyone can make some good sets too.

This was all very easy to do using simple objects and backdrops and posters. No mod skills were necessary at all. When the modders workshop comes back which should be in a week or so, you will be amazed at what you can do. It is really easy to use. Although I use a lot of graphic arts programs and other animation programs, I am not a modder at all - I have Maya and Bryce but I haven't learned them yet. Believe me if I can mod using this program, Moviestorm, than anyone can.

I also use a fantastic program that is not available anymore which is Metacreations Painter. If you ever find one ANYWHERE BUY IT. I am glad I have my old one still. They sold out to Corel and Corel came out with their own paint program that is not even 10% as good as the original.

With that program I can just paint and draw any kind of image I want to use on backdrops and simple objects and make some easy to use furniture, buildings and backdrops.

#27 oxman

oxman

Wannabe film-maker

• Pioneers
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:58 AM

Thank you sooo much for taking the time to share your knowledge. I'm sure you made it sounds a lot easier than it looks. I don't have any designing background so it would be a learning curve for me...can't wait to see it come back. I really appreciate your willingness to share.

Cheers,
Oxman

#28 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:10 AM

(oxman)
Thank you sooo much for taking the time to share your knowledge. I'm sure you made it sounds a lot easier than it looks. I don't have any designing background so it would be a learning curve for me...can't wait to see it come back. I really appreciate your willingness to share.

Cheers,
Oxman

I know that I make it sound easy - well I have been an artist all my life - since I was practically a baby and then I got into graphic computer art in the early 80's. But I sure will be making some easy props for people to use and some hi res photos/etc. Did you know that ORDINARY objects are the hardest to find. That is why I purchase some stock photos to use. Right now I am hunting for a simple photo of a bathtub - well I may have to photograph ours (which isn't anything fancy) after all. I have a couple of nice kitchens and stoves that I use. But BATHROOMS, very hard to find anything at all.

So I suggest to everyone who has a digital camera to start taking pictures (I am going to do some myself) of ordinary objects - food, chairs, kitchen sinks, etc. It is really easy to make these into props.

In fact I think I will go around the house next week and start photographing objects - for instance, a closet with clothes hanging in it. A stack of towels, basket of fruit, a pile of jewelry. All these things add a lot of realism to your sets.