• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

This is a short movie about a man talking to a woman psychiatrist about his problems in his marriage. Written by myself, set designed by myself and music by myself. All voice overs were done by myself too.This is also an advertisement for Into The Mind 3D which is a company in the UK that creates videos for people to use on their own websites. I wrote this one for them but then they wrote another script for the ad which I made into a movie for them to use so I figured I could release this one on Moviestorm.

#2 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Your camera work is very distracting. When watching a dialogue such as this it would be better to have static shots with cuts between them, not a floating camera. The movement is at odds with the content.

Secondly, your choice of music is inappropriate. It sounds like something that would play in an elevator, it doesn't add value to the piece at all, and you certainly need to remove it for the actual dialogue. At the moment it is crashing right through the dialogue so that the audience can't discern what is being said.

You should also consider your opening titles. I can't think of an example of professional content that uses rolling titles at the start. If you must use rolling titles put them at the end.

It also doesn't look too good when you have spelling mistakes in your titles, which you do.

I'd suggest you take all your titles and move them to the end of the movie and use simple fades. They're far more subtle and it allows your audience to get straight into the content.

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

There aren't any spelling mistakes in my title. I did change the title of the movie to Psycotherapist and Patient and I just checked the spelling. Well I like the rolling credits with the guy walking out of the elevator. The credits aren't that long. The music doesn't drown out the dialogue at all. I just watched the movie again. And the camera does not move around a lot at all either.

#4 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 24 2013, 4:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There aren't any spelling mistakes in my title. I did change the title of the movie to Psycotherapist and Patient and I just checked the spelling.

Sorry, my mistake. Alfred Hitchcock obviously made a hideous mistake by calling his movie "Psycho"... surprised no one has noticed that actually. laugh.gif

Well I like the rolling credits with the guy walking out of the elevator.

That's great - it's important to like what you do. My point was simply that you never see this in professional work so when I see it in your work it doesn't look as slick as it might. But what do I know?

The music doesn't drown out the dialogue at all.

Well, I beg to differ. The next time you watch dialogue on TV listen out to see if there is any plinky plonky random-jazz playing. If there is any kind of music at all it will be subtle, sympathetic to the scene, and very low in the mix. As you're using Vegas you have all the tools at your disposal for gentle fades and sound envelope control. I think you should learn to use them.

I just watched the movie again.

So did I. But I'm not watching it any more.

And the camera does not move around a lot at all either.

Okaaaay...

Well, at least I've taken time to provide you an explanation as to why I've awarded it two stars.

#5 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

The things I saw that could use improvement:

As Iceaxe said, the music drowns out the dialog. It was way too loud. For something like this, the minute they start talking, the music should either stop or become barely audible.

The camera did swing pretty wild at the point where the doctor and patient were at the door.

I never saw a doctor start doing a session while the patient was still outside the door. Or to even hold a session with the door open.

The dialog seemed rushed, no emotion and unpracticed. Sentences were run ons (rushed).

I do agree that the titles could be different. All your films start exactly the same, rolling titles. Change it up a bit.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#6 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

I don't understand you, Lucinda.

You're doing a commercial video and people are giving you really good advice -- and you simply dismiss it!? We all want to help each other. But what shall we do if someone does not want to listen to advice? Just stop offering help?

Let me be frank with you. Actually it's about you. If you offer a company an advertising video like that it's you who will embarrass herself. You can watch it hundreds of times, and it won't get better a bit. Regardless of how much you love it. And don't tell me the company liked the video. Even if they did, "proper" companies will laugh about this.

I always say: "Learn from the best." There are people earning millions of dollars for making films. Those are the pros. And fact is, they don't use scrolling opening titles, they don't use Arial or Helvetica, they don't use strangely moving camera shots, they don't use elevator music -- not even in a scene that plays in an elevator --, they don't do boring dialogues. Now... why would they not do all that?

Because the audience does not like it! The producers would not make millions, not even thousands. It does not matter at all if you like your videos. If you do a film especially a commercial you must focus on what the audience will like.

I'm pretty sure you can do much better than this,
Arthur smile.gif

#7 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

This is not the video I am doing for their commercial, otherwise I would not be showing it on Moviestorm. I am doing another video for their commercial and when they put it on their website, I will have a link to it. This is a script I wrote and I just put their information in it but they wrote another script they wanted me to do so I did that one for them.

And I have already been paid for this video but they said I could go ahead and put it on the Moviestorm channel but the finished commercial video will be on their own website. I take the advice of the people who hire me to make videos and so far I have made the video the way they want it, that is the new one I am doing now. However, right now I am on my laptop in a hotel and so I am not working on the new commercial for them. I had a couple of changes I needed to make in that video which I will do when we get home on Sunday.

#8 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Ok before I do my run down review of this short film I need to point this out below:

Attached File  omg.jpg   41.53KB   17 downloads

I would sack that therapist, sticking two fingers up like that while having an important discussion is just not professional rolleyes.gif

Now I`m not going to be rude, or a bully however I am going to be straight with you, that music is way to loud, it is also inappropriate for the situation. If I was in work and a child wanted to get something off their chest and I was to start playing that kind of music they would likely kick me and never speak again.

The music may be your own composition however a problem is that nearly all your movies use the same style of music, and it just does not sound right. It`s not actually even elevator music, thankfully here in the UK businesses realize we would rather stand in silence than suffer, not trying to be offensive but please do change the record. Also if you must have background music make use of the volume envelopes in vegas as has already been suggested to lower the volume significantly.

Rolling credits at the start of films just do not look right at all, you really should stop doing them, it seems to me that your trying to squeeze as many credits in at the start as possible, are you worried the viewer may have fallen asleep before the end?

The camera work in the beginning looks very much like the camera man had a few to many beers while filming to keep themselves entertained, use less camera movement and more photography with varying angles appropriate to the scene.

As already stated no professional would ever begin discussing a clients personal issues with the door open, certainly not in the door way, and they certainly would not turn their back on the client to sit down.

The dialogue is very rushed, it is lacking any kind of emotion, it is also not helped by the lack of facial expressions and the way overly used hand gestures. Include facial emotions then you can also include different angles of camera work, particularly more close up shots of each character so the viewer can see the emotion more.

Moviestorm does have a habit of having your characters twitch or turn unexpectedly as noted in 1:50 of your film, you should work to address that as on screen it looks as if she is being disrespectful, and it also seems really quite robot like. Fix this issue by turning off automatic gestures to maintain full control so your characters do not twitch.

So I`m not leaving a foul taste in your mouth I will say that the set design was ok, I would have done more with the lighting though, although it could also be because you are not using the shaders option in moviestorm.

The best I can offer rating wise is 2 stars, one for ok set design, and one because it was made using moviestorm, however I would not class this as promotional quality.

#9 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Ha Ha, you guys, all your criticism of my work does is get me more attention and publicity. You are not offering helpful advice at all. I don't have time to remake this short video. I already made a different one for the customer who has already paid me and that will be on their own website when it is released, not on the Moviestorm movie page because they own the movie.

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Ha Ha, you guys, all your criticism of my work does is get me more attention and publicity. You are not offering helpful advice at all. I don't have time to remake this short video. I already made a different one for the customer who has already paid me and that will be on their own website when it is released, not on the Moviestorm movie page because they own the movie.

#11 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 24 2013, 5:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha Ha, you guys, all your criticism of my work does is get me more attention and publicity. You are not offering helpful advice at all.

Not helpful? Pointing out things that are wrong and offering advice on how to correct it is not helpful? More publicity and attention? You're right, you are getting attention. It is not good attention though. And the publicity? They say any publicity is good publicity but they are wrong. Bad publicity can be extremely harmful. Believe me, your bad publicity is the butt of many jokes. The more you refuse to listen to 'helpful' advice, the more laughable you become.

I don't have time to remake this short video. I already made a different one for the customer who has already paid me and that will be on their own website when it is released, not on the Moviestorm movie page because they own the movie.

Since this is not the official 'paid for' video, why don't you have time to fix it? If the 'paid for' version is anything like this one, I feel sorry for whoever paid you in advance. Why do you think your other videos on Amazon, or wherever it is you try to sell them, are not selling? And if they are selling, where are our proceeds for our contributions like the form we signed said we would get?

#12 BenTuttle90

BenTuttle90

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

TMU's down- so I stumbled here to find this. Let me be honest. I have some creditably after all.

Your camera work is very distracting. When watching a dialogue such as this it would be better to have static shots with cuts between them, not a floating camera. The movement is at odds with the content.

Roger Deakins said that a cinematographer fails their job when the camera starts drawing attention towards itself rather than be a part of the story. Your camerawork clearly does that. If you shot just to be fancy for the sake of it- you will fail badly with the camera work. Let the camera tell its story, since every shot makes an impact but it has to be invisible while doing so. Moviestorm has some great camera functions.

You should also consider your opening titles. I can't think of an example of professional content that uses rolling titles at the start. If you must use rolling titles put them at the end.

I cringe every time I see your scrolling titles- I'm being dead serious. It looks amateurish. Get rid of them and get more creative with them. The titles screams 'bland.'

Real professional Lucinda, real professional. These people are offering real helpful advice and I be glad if I get advice like that, since it really helps in the long run. From an outsider's perspective, you produce terrible content. Some of the worst I seen anywhere... being honest here.

If I ever taught a film class, I would seriously fail you. Not because of the content, but how you react to criticism people generously give you. All of this is great and helpful advice. You blew it off instead, wasting their time and probably my time as you blow my advice too. It's disrespectful and downright unprofessional.

PART TWO *Since I am not done...

Now then, I will never ever tell anybody to stop making films... never. But you have to listen closely.

This is the most honest critique I ever given out to anybody. Brutal yes- but it needs to be said. I don't hate people online, I do get annoyed, and I don't do this trolling bulls**t either where I gang up on you. I say these things just because they need to be said when act in such a disrespectful manner.

Keep making films, but people here are more forgiving than most places I stumbled to. You think I was brutal, just see what other places will do. This is a great learning environment, take advantage of it rather than have a extremely inflated opinion which blinds you and crying when people find something wrong.

#13 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 24 2013, 6:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lucinda, I have not seen one post from anyone that wasn't helpful in some way. No one on this thread has attacked you at all, so why take it that way? I have seen many of your own posts in which you state that everyone here helps each other, so why do you dismiss help when it is offered to you? The points that have been made to you in this thread are all valid in some way and any true artist would take those into consideration for the sake of self improvement. If some people in this forum do show any impatience towards you, it is because you tend to be stubborn and dismissive of other people's ideas. People tend not to like that sort of behavior.

As for this notion that all this criticism just gets you more views and attention, I doubt it. I know it makes me shy away from seeing your movies because quite honestly, who wants to have anything to do with someone who can't take criticism without getting upset and defensive or dismissive? Given my experience with you re: your Lumberton Lake scene, I thought that maybe you'd really turned a corner and that perhaps you were at least trying to be open to suggestions from others. I see that this is not the case and it's too bad.

All I can say is this. Don't be another Delores1Day. Don't be like that. She has alienated a lot of people with similar albeit more extreme behavior. Obstinate, defensive and dismissive behavior is her stock in trade. Don't let it be yours.

"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." -some dead guy.

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ser/pixel62Warp

#14 sburke3002

sburke3002

Master Director

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE (vphilly @ May 25 2013, 1:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucinda, I have not seen one post from anyone that wasn't helpful in some way. No one on this thread has attacked you at all, so why take it that way? I have seen many of your own posts in which you state that everyone here helps each other, so why do you dismiss help when it is offered to you? The points that have been made to you in this thread are all valid in some way and any true artist would take those into consideration for the sake of self improvement. If some people in this forum do show any impatience towards you, it is because you tend to be stubborn and dismissive of other people's ideas. People tend not to like that sort of behavior.

As for this notion that all this criticism just gets you more views and attention, I doubt it. I know it makes me shy away from seeing your movies because quite honestly, who wants to have anything to do with someone who can't take criticism without getting upset and defensive or dismissive? Given my experience with you re: your Lumberton Lake scene, I thought that maybe you'd really turned a corner and that perhaps you were at least trying to be open to suggestions from others. I see that this is not the case and it's too bad.

All I can say is this. Don't be another Delores1Day. Don't be like that. She has alienated a lot of people with similar albeit more extreme behavior. Obstinate, defensive and dismissive behavior is her stock in trade. Don't let it be yours.

Leave me the hell out of this argument! We are not the same. I admit to my faults which aren't really faults at all. I am truly a novice when it comes to using moviestorm. And like I said before, the software is great, but it's not developed enough to create mega blockbuster movies. The best thing to do is spend more time making movies no matter how great or poorly constructed. We all here are still learning.
My Moments in Love..."The Real Animated Soap Opera"

#15 sburke3002

sburke3002

Master Director

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

Lucinda,
This is a wonderful clip. I gave you five stars based on the following:

Set design
Story development
Character development
Lighting

Some of the criticism here is warranted, but many are truly unnecessary if the audience would just have fun with sharing. Some who come here to bash haven’t even begun to create a full length feature film. Just short clips about absolutely nothing. You know why? Some haven’t got a clue! However, some of what others are saying has a ring of truth.

I would highly suggest that you take control over your characters movement by deselecting ‘improvisation’ in the ‘mood changer mode’. In this way, your character’s body movements will be less distracting. Over usage of gestures can be distracting as well. Do work on your title and credits approach. I never use them. I only use them when presenting my movies to my main target audience outside of the Moviestorm community. I’m quite sure you’ll utilize these pointers before creating your next fascinating movie.

Also, thanks for the extraordinary mods.

#16 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (delores1day @ May 24 2013, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I admit to my faults which aren't really faults at all.

Oh Delores sweetheart, if you only knew how that statement comes across. Like I said, Lucinda. Don't be like this.
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." -some dead guy.

#17 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE (delores1day @ May 24 2013, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some who come here to bash haven’t even begun to create a full length feature film.

Right, because only those who've directed a feature have the right to offer criticism. You really do live in a nonsense world, don't you? blink.gif

QUOTE (delores1day @ May 24 2013, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just short clips about absolutely nothing.

You would know about that particular movie making technique, wouldn't you? laugh.gif

#18 sburke3002

sburke3002

Master Director

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (vphilly @ May 25 2013, 4:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh Delores sweetheart, if you only knew how that statement comes across. Like I said, Lucinda. Don't be like this.

I am not your sweetheart! Why don't you stop the harassment. You send me harassing emails. Keep it up. Your freaking ass has (3) movies. That's all (3). Spend more time making movies and stop hating on everyone else. I literally detest haters and punks.

All you've ever done is harass me for no freaking reason. If you keep it up, I am going to report you! Three movies! Lucinda has well over 100. Now, whether you like them or not, so be it! Grow the (F) up and leave folks alone. You jealous creep!

I AM NOT YOUR FREAKING SWEETHEART!

#19 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (delores1day @ May 24 2013, 9:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucinda,
This is a wonderful clip. I gave you five stars based on the following:

Set design
Story development
Character development
Lighting

Granted, the set design is good. And we have said that. Story and character development? In this short a time? Where did you learn film making?

Some of the criticism here is warranted, but many are truly unnecessary if the audience would just have fun with sharing. Some who come here to bash haven’t even begun to create a full length feature film. Just short clips about absolutely nothing.

And you know this for a fact why? Because they have not uploaded them here?

You know why? Some haven’t got a clue!

Speak for yourself only. Don't speak for us.

I would highly suggest that you take control over your characters movement by deselecting ‘improvisation’ in the ‘mood changer mode’. In this way, your character’s body movements will be less distracting. Over usage of gestures can be distracting as well. Do work on your title and credits approach. I never use them. I only use them when presenting my movies to my main target audience outside of the Moviestorm community.

Now this is good advice.

I’m quite sure you’ll utilize these pointers before creating your next fascinating movie.

Don't be so sure.

Now, I don't mind you defending yourself on what others say about you. That is respectable. But when you keep on saying that no one here knows what the hell they are saying because they have not released 'full length feature films', you are way out of line. Just because they don't upload them here does not mean they don't make them. Have you seen a full length feature film out of Lucinda on here? NO! So, does that mean she is not doing them? Just because we might be making them and either posting them elsewhere or are making them for other people who control where they get posted does not mean they are not being made. Take your grey matter containment unit out of your anal orifice and stop generalizing.

You know why? Some haven’t got a clue!
For the most part, this means you Delores. You don't know us just as we don't know you. But your postings tell us a lot about who you are and what you are like.

Now, back to the original meaning of this thread:
Lucinda, we are trying to help you but for some reason you either won't accept the help or cannot understand it. You do have the potential for making great movies I believe. Until such a time as you open your mind and accept criticism and examples on how to improve what you are doing, you will be nothing more than a joke to us. You may not like hearing that, and others may not like it either (Delores), but it is the truth. On the whole, we are a very helpful community. Some ask for advice and take it. Some see what is given and will only accept some of it and blow the rest off (yourself) and then there are those like me who take the good with the bad and use it to better themselves.

Please read what is written here and learn from it.

Delores, crawl back into your hole. You should look at your stuff and learn from these comments also. Plenty of missteps in your films also.
I admit to my faults which aren't really faults at all.
Really?!?!? Think again.

Me, I only upload small stuff here. Goof around videos and short shorts. My main stuff is on Vimeo, Youtube and other sites or is in private collections. Just because you don't see long films here from me does not mean I don't make them. Stop thinking that anyone with any advice must have long films (Ben is a very accomplished film maker and has just graduated college with a film degree, he knows what he is talking about and has made some really good non-fault films. The others who are giving advice (Iceaxe, KV, Vphilly, Prima [has done live action films], etc., etc.) have been doing this a hell of a lot longer than you.

#20 sburke3002

sburke3002

Master Director

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Harb40 @ May 25 2013, 6:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Granted, the set design is good. And we have said that. Story and character development? In this short a time? Where did you learn film making?

And you know this for a fact why? Because they have not uploaded them here?

Speak for yourself only. Don't speak for us.

Now this is good advice.

Don't be so sure.

Now, I don't mind you defending yourself on what others say about you. That is respectable. But when you keep on saying that no one here knows what the hell they are saying because they have not released 'full length feature films', you are way out of line. Just because they don't upload them here does not mean they don't make them. Have you seen a full length feature film out of Lucinda on here? NO! So, does that mean she is not doing them? Just because we might be making them and either posting them elsewhere or are making them for other people who control where they get posted does not mean they are not being made. Take your grey matter containment unit out of your anal orifice and stop generalizing.

For the most part, this means you Delores. You don't know us just as we don't know you. But your postings tell us a lot about who you are and what you are like.

Now, back to the original meaning of this thread:
Lucinda, we are trying to help you but for some reason you either won't accept the help or cannot understand it. You do have the potential for making great movies I believe. Until such a time as you open your mind and accept criticism and examples on how to improve what you are doing, you will be nothing more than a joke to us. You may not like hearing that, and others may not like it either (Delores), but it is the truth. On the whole, we are a very helpful community. Some ask for advice and take it. Some see what is given and will only accept some of it and blow the rest off (yourself) and then there are those like me who take the good with the bad and use it to better themselves.

Please read what is written here and learn from it.

Delores, crawl back into your hole. You should look at your stuff and learn from these comments also. Plenty of missteps in your films also. Really?!?!? Think again.

Me, I only upload small stuff here. Goof around videos and short shorts. My main stuff is on Vimeo, Youtube and other sites or is in private collections. Just because you don't see long films here from me does not mean I don't make them. Stop thinking that anyone with any advice must have long films (Ben is a very accomplished film maker and has just graduated college with a film degree, he knows what he is talking about and has made some really good non-fault films. The others who are giving advice (Iceaxe, KV, Vphilly, Prima [has done live action films], etc., etc.) have been doing this a hell of a lot longer than you.

Darn! here is another UNPAID PARKING TICKET who just follows you around and around. Blah! Blah! The King or Queen of Haterville. Vimeo Shemio who gives a crap! Leave folks alone!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users