#1 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:23 AM

EDIT: now available at the moviestorm site

http://www.moviestor...eServlet?id=637

Mike and I are thrilled that our film Voices has been chosen for a Machiniplex premiere in second life this sunday.

http://machiniplex3.blogspot.com/

slurl

http://slurl.com/sec...Head/85/148/607

For those unable to attend (or who can't wait smile.gif ) the film is now showing in glorious streaming high definition on the Machiniplex website.

http://machiniplex.com/

You can follow our blog by visiting http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/
See the entry for Monday, 7 April 2008 for a short background article on the making of the film.

You may notice that in some of the publicity my name only is mentioned as sole creator. This is a film convention (director = creator) and is somewhat misleading to say the least.
Mike and I are co-creators of this piece of work, and I feel so lucky to have found this working partnership directly as a result of these forums.

It only remains to thank Revdoug for inspiring us to make this film in response to his wonderful voice performance.

I hope you enjoy the film.

#2 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:55 PM

Whoah. Congratulations! :mrgreen:
[witty signature pending]

#3 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

(kkffoo)
You may notice that in some of the publicity my name only is mentioned as sole creator. This is a film convention (director = creator) and is somewhat misleading to say the least.
Mike and I are co-creators of this piece of work, and I feel so lucky to have found this working partnership directly as a result of these forums.

Kkffoo is too kind. I am merely a conduit for her brilliant visions.

"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#4 saument

saument

Director

• Pioneers
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

Congratulations!
=================================
Stephen Aument
Jeslync Pictures

#5 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

I've been looking forward to seeing this but won't be able to make the SL premier. On top of that, my PC and Flash have been fighting quite a bit lately and currently aren't speaking to each other so, machinimaplex.com is just a big black screen to me.

Are there any other avenues of distribution being explored?

#6 gToon

gToon

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

I am very excited about the Premiere tomorrow (Sunday, April 20th). Tested the .mov version of the film in-world at Hathead's Lounge and it looked great. Not quite as sharp as the flash version at machiniplex.com site, but still very good. My thanks to Hathead for letting us use his site and for all of his help and support.

"Voices" is the kind of film experiment in machinima that we welcome at machiniplex. We are devoted to presenting quality films and "Voices" certainly qualifies. Repeated viewings only confirm my initial reaction. My thanks to Katy and Michael for making this film available to us and for holding back the initial release of "Voices", making the event tomorrow a true "Premiere"!

I'm looking forward to learning more about how the film was conceived/made in the Q&A with Katy and Michael.

@AngriBuddhist. The web address is actually Machiniplex.com. Sorry about your flash problems and hope you get them resolved. There is a high quality wmv version right under the main screen labelled "download". It's a large file (100+), but it's the best version available and worth the download.

Hope to see you at Hathead's lounge in Second Life tomorrow!
Machiniplex3 Blog -written by Ingrid, Jason & Ricky in support of the Machiniplex.com site

#7 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:47 AM

@ gtoon-

I can't even see a download button. Could you give me a direct link? Thanks.

#8 gToon

gToon

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:37 AM

Sure thing; here's a link to a high quality wmv version of Voices:

http://www.rgrove.com/Voices.wmv

After you click the thumbnail image (all the way to the left and first in line of the list of films), Voices will come up in the flash screen at the center of the page. Beneath this screen and slightly to the right is a link labelled "Download". You can see it here:

Perhaps changing the color of the download will make it stand out more. Hope you can make the Premiere.
Machiniplex3 Blog -written by Ingrid, Jason & Ricky in support of the Machiniplex.com site

#9 Melopee

Melopee

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:28 AM

Congrats! Just fabulous. :thumbup:

@gToon - Thanks for the high quality download link.

#10 gToon

gToon

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

You are very welcome. Just FYI, every film that Machiniplex features at our site is encoded in high quality flash for streaming, plus we allow the viewer to download the highest quality version we can create. You can see the download link in my previous post. Some of the high-quality versions can be very large (400mb), but we think this is worth it as it will be the best possible quality (and size) you can get of a particular film.

Quality is the goal of Machiniplex. Both in the films we choose and in how we present them.

Hope you can make it to the Premiere tomorrow (Sunday).

#11 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

Yep, with Flash not working properly on my PC, I can't even see the "download" button. Thanks for the link to the download.

#12 gToon

gToon

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:33 PM

Ah, now I understand; since the site is written in flash, you wouldn't be able to see download or anything else. Glad you were able to get to see the film anyway.

Thanks to everyone who came by the Premiere today; it turned out very well with some stimulating conversation with Michael and Katy. You learn so much about how a film is made and what the ideas are behind it at these Q&A's. So pleased at how Machiniplex is working out.

http://www.rgrove.co...esPremiere1.bmp

#13 DavidB

DavidB

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:23 AM

that is really awesome - well done!
David J W Bailey ACA MA MSc GIBiol MInstD

blog.david.bailey.net www.twitter.com/davidjwbailey www.flickr.com/people/davidjwbailey

#14 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:16 AM

Oh, I just missed the premiere in SL. Must have lost track of time, sorry. sad.gif

#15 saument

saument

Director

• Pioneers
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:26 AM

I still find Second Life a little creepy, but this was a great event. gToon did a pro job hosting. Hopefully we'll see more of these for the MS community as we mature as filmmakers.

=================================
Stephen Aument
Jeslync Pictures

#16 gToon

gToon

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:10 AM

thanks, David, I appreciate your comments.

I know what you mean about he "Second Life" factor. I'm not a big fan myself, but at present it's the best tool I have to be able to host the Premiere's. Skype was a real headache, and non of the free group/voice software packages were any good (at least for me). The only comparable service where dozens of people can attend and converse both in text and voice costs hundreds of dollars and is used primarily for international business consultation.

So I understand your reticence. But for an event that lasts around 2 hours, I can put up with it.

And sorry we missed you Spong3y. BTW, "Voices" is our second MS film at machiniplex. "Morning Run Amok" was, I belive, our first Premiere back in October. And it was also shot in Moviestorm.

http://www.rgrove.co...esPremiere2.bmp

#17 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

(gToon)
thanks, David, I appreciate your comments.

I know what you mean about he "Second Life" factor. I'm not a big fan myself, but at present it's the best tool I have to be able to host the Premiere's. Skype was a real headache, and non of the free group/voice software packages were any good (at least for me). The only comparable service where dozens of people can attend and converse both in text and voice costs hundreds of dollars and is used primarily for international business consultation.

So I understand your reticence. But for an event that lasts around 2 hours, I can put up with it.

And sorry we missed you Spong3y. BTW, "Voices" is our second MS film at machiniplex. "Morning Run Amok" was, I belive, our first Premiere back in October. And it was also shot in Moviestorm.

http://www.rgrove.co...esPremiere2.bmp

So, basically, gToon, whatever film that goes to the Machiniplex gains a premiere in SL?

I'm not quite acquainted to the "higher" league of machinima, I'm still stuck with the n00bies. 8)

Also, SL time is equivalent to GMT -8, however, being on the other side of the world, it's quite difficult to attend some events. Most people I meet on SL events are those who drinks coffee too much to stay awake after midnight.

Nice looking premiere though, oh, must have costed a lot of time (and money) to put all those prims together!

#18 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

Glad to hear the premiere went well. Sorry I couldn't attend myself. I'm sans internet connection at home at the moment. I see Hathead's made yet more improvements to the venue as well - the interview table looks great.

Looking forward to the next Machiniplex showing.
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#19 gToon

gToon

Novice director

• Pioneers
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

@Song3y

The founding idea of Machiniplex was to present new, quality machinima films on an "opening night" or "premiere" basis, much like modern cinema o theatre. That way the director and others who worked on the project have an opportunity to comment in real time on their work and the audience has a chance to ask questions and discuss the film. This idea came out of our (Jason, Ingrid and myself) with the standard way of releasing new films which is to post them in a forum (or on youtube and link) and then over a period of days (or weeks) people offer their opinions.

We consider the Premieres a great success. The only drawback has been tech that enables the event. In the past, Skype has been our medium of choice, but as the Premiere's have grown more popular, Skype is no longer effective. Second Life, as I've mentioned, with the addition of voice chat, is now our choice for premieres. Hathead, a supporter and friend of machinima, has offered his island for the events. Something I'm very grateful for. All of the furniture, architecture you see in the pictures was created by Hathead, who makes his living in Second Life.

So far the events in SL have gone well. We try to schedule them on Sundays at around 12pm or 1pm Pacific time, that way folks in the UK can attend them at a reasonable hour.

@Johnnie

I hope you'll get your internet problems sorted out in time to see Tom Jantol's next film. I think it's his best. He will actually be coming to the Premire to discuss the film.

It's this coming Sunday, April 27th at 12pm Pacific/ 8pm GMT

#20 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

(gToon)
I hope you'll get your internet problems sorted out in time to see Tom Jantol's next film. I think it's his best.

I agree - it's surely the best thing Tom has ever done (he sent me a sneak-peak of it a little while ago). I'm really looking forward to the MPlex première for that one. I've been reliably promised that my net problems will be resolved within a few days, so hopefully I'll be able to make Tom's première.

I'd strongly recommend that everyone take the time to visit the Machiniplex and watch Kate and Mike's film, which really pushes the boundaries of what is increasingly being termed "Anymation".
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)