24 replies to this topic

#1 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

http://www.moviestor...Servlet?id=1119

The crew at Machiniplex http://www.machiniplex.net/ asked Mike and I to produce this short promo film to publicise the upcoming Machinexpo, which will take place in second life on the 9th November.

Phil Rice says;

We will be screening some of the best machinima films and tools from around the world in a series of exhibits and live events.

I'd love to meet some of you in virtual person at the Expo! All are invited!

For more info, check out:
www.machinima-expo.com

I'm sure staff here will be posting more nearer the date as there's a rather gorgeous Moviestorm stand on the exhibition site.

Working as Pineapple Pictures, Mike and I created a piece which covers four out of five of the major 'indie' tools. moviestorm, iclone3, Second life and Zencub3d.
We would have added elements from antics also, but just hadn't learned the program in time!

Help with be available for second life newbies and remember, this is an expo that anyone can visit completely free!
Woo, how noveau post-credit-crunchy is that?

Events should be available for most time zones.

#2 Melopee

Melopee

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

That was a funny Machinexpo video promotion, Kate&Mike tongue.gif
I hope you get some great responses!

At the moment I'm learning the Iclone software program.

#3 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:02 AM

grouchobeer Posted: 29 October 2008 | delete comment
1. I do not believe this was made on Moviestorm.

2. I do not believe these people have the rights to this recording of "Thus Spake Tharathustra".

3. I do not believe these people have the rights to the Dixieland piece which follows. It most certainly was recorded post-1923.

4. People like this make it difficult for honest moviemakers like me and most of the rest of us to ply our trade. Please ban this movie from your website. Thank you.

I am really am hoping GB, that events like the machinexpo making it much easier for all sorts of moviemakers to ply their trade, and the tool makers who make this possible.
Moviestorm is part of a larger group of indie machinima tools, and outside the sibling rivalry they are all pushing our kind of moviemaking as a new artform.
Each of the companies has a stand at the expo.
Beyond that, we belong to the wider machinima community, including game created films.
These people are 'we people'.
The event is organised, (unpaid and not for profit) by the machinima community, including members of this forum.
Part of the purpose of these events is to widen the horizons of those taking part, and meeting members of sister communities is a great way to start.

So why not grab some virtual popcorn and mosey on down to Jamville on the 9th November?
You could even start a debate about music licensing at one of the workshops Groucho smile.gif

I reckon it's going to be a fun event.

#4 zuckerman

zuckerman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:51 AM

love the promo! also... i'm totally envious of your ability to master all of these tools. you are awe. i stand in you.

#5 Trinity

Trinity

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

Outstanding work, my friends!
Writer / Producer / Director

DIGIPENDENCE.com - my blog about 3D moviemaking, machinima, animation, cinematic design, sequential art, graphic novels, web comix, fan films, and independent film, video & photo production.

#6 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

This should be in another thread, but as someone whose work has forced him to be aware of copyright issues for over 20 years, I must say that grouchobeer's understanding of copyright law is rather limited. If anyone wants to learn more, the Electronic Frontier Foundation is a good place to start.

#7 mrjoyce

mrjoyce

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 586 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

grouchobeer Posted: 29 October 2008 | delete comment
1. I do not believe this was made on Moviestorm.

2. I do not believe these people have the rights to this recording of "Thus Spake Tharathustra".

3. I do not believe these people have the rights to the Dixieland piece which follows. It most certainly was recorded post-1923.

4. People like this make it difficult for honest moviemakers like me and most of the rest of us to ply our trade. Please ban this movie from your website. Thank you.

Just a short reply to grouchobeer.

1. Moviestorm was only one of the programs used in this film. This was for MachinExpo and we at Pineapple Pictures (as Moviestorm) encourage the use of a variety of tools.

2 & 3: All this music is in PD. In addition the film was made for no profit for MachinExpo.

4: I am not disputing your claim to be a honest filmmaker, by considering you have appropiated the name of Groucho Marks in your user name..... I wonder how Groucho likes that?

Please feel free to ply your trade as you seem fit, but using Rush Limbaugh or Drudge insults for your own problems of rejection speaks for itself.

"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations" - Orson Welles

Pineapple Pictures
http://pinechunks.blogspot.com/

#8 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

I thought you might like to see some photos of the build in progress.

#9 Russell

Russell

Novice director

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

Looking great 8)

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

You know you can delete other people's comments from your movie. Why not do that and stop all the fighting and disagreements?

#11 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:57 AM

Just a short reply to mrjoyce:

If you had read my response, I am not disputing that the music is PD, but the recordings. Interesting that kkfoo did not deny my charge either in her post here or her PM to me. If she proves otherwise, I will make a full apology.

As for my screen name, I am not appropriating it, it is an homage to Groucho Marx (not Marks). We will never know how he feels about this, as he has been dead for 31 years. I can tell you, however, that Groucho's daughter Miriam and his foremost impersonator, Frank Ferrante, are fans of mine.

As for my failure, I am writing to you from Hollywood, where last night I had a movie in an actual film festival, not some make-believe festival in cyberspace. How's your career going?
NOW PLAYING: SUGAR BABES, Episode 7: "The Old-Fashioned Way Is Still Best"
http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=102176

#12 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:15 AM

(grouchobeer)
I am writing to you from Hollywood, where last night I had a movie in an actual film festival, not some make-believe festival in cyberspace. How's your career going?

You could look it up for yourself.

Now, if, to quote Mimi Rogers in the not-as-wonderful-as-I'd-hoped big-screen adaptaion of "Lost in Space," we're done hosing down the decks with testosterone, anyone for leftover Halloween candy?
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#13 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:21 AM

I said lately. I don't see any credits for him after 2006.

I am well aware of Michael Joyce's cred, if indeed, mrjoyce is who he says he is. I have no proof. If I wanted to pretend to be someone I wasn't, I could look up some third-tier producer on imdb and pretend to be him. [EDIT: comment removed by moderator.]

If mrjoyce really worked in Hollywood, he would know that copyright infringement is copyright infringement is copyright infringement, no matter if it's for profit or not. Virtually no sound recordings are public domain. He would also know that names cannot be copyrighted, and he equates my screenname with blatant copyright infringement. I am still awaiting proof of non-infringement. kkffoo doesn't even list the music in her credits.

[edited by moderator: comment removed]

#14 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:32 AM

Grouchobeer, I can't decide which would be more pathetic:

1. You're pretending you have a real career in Hollywood.

2. You have a real career, and you're behaving the way you have been in this thread.

Now, 1 and 2 are equally plausible. Hollywood attracts people who are desperate for validation, and it constantly demands compromises of people's vision. It is not good for the soul. When I was out there, I used to say that I knew one screenwriter who seemed truly happy. Then I found out he'd gone into therapy.

Anyway, I don't know your past interactions with the folks here. All I know is you're coming off like a literalistic twit who takes the most conservative interpretation possible of copyright. If you really think someone here is abusing copyright, go to the RIAA or the MPAA. When they stop laughing at you, if you're not already in AA, get drunk. If you are in AA, call some friends and complain about the many things you find annoying.

Seriously. You don't have a case. If you want to hang on the board, just apologize and be nice. It's not that hard. There are good folks here. I can think of plenty of reasons to argue with people--I assure you, I have--but use of music in a little movie where no one's making any money?

Life's short. Enjoy it more!

#15 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:13 AM

Please all of you stop this constant fighting. We are all in this together. We all want to make movies, we all want people to watch our movies. We aren't in competition with each other. It is a big world out there and the Moviestorm users are a very small part of it. Lets stick together and support each other and stop this fighing. Grouchobeer happens to be one of my favorite filmmakers. His films are very funny. I enjoy them very much as I enjoy a lot of the movies here.

His post is a bit grouchy but then his name is Grouchobeer. But MR Joyce's post was pretty mean too. So everyone who is fighting is a little bit wrong, don't you think?

I like all of you. I watch all of your films and I often comment on them. I try to give and be positive here. I just want all of you to stop the fighting and competition. We can make this medium really something great if we work together.

As far as things in movies being copyrighted or not, Strauss's piece, the music for it, is of course public domain and there are a few performances that are public domain, I did find one on Archive.org. However, no credit was given, nor was the performance cited. It would have been polite for the filmmaker here to credit Strauss and the particular recording they used. I have to be honest here. I have been trying to be tactful, but I think that the credit for the particular performance should be cited and I think it is wrong to use it if it is not cited.

But it isn't at all important enough for people to start fighting about and all this.

And remember when your user name gets looked up on Google, the things you say here are there to stay.

#16 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:18 AM

I never said that I had a real career in Hollywood. I said I had a movie in a festival in Hollywood. I would suggest you take a course in reading comprehension. If anyone is pretending to have a career in Hollywood, it is mrjoyce, if that is his real name.

This is not a "conservative interpretation of copyright". Absent any proof to the contrary, this is blatant infringement. Even if they have the rights to the recordings (doubtful) they almost certainly don't have rights to the second song. Virtually every song written after 1923 is covered by copyright. (Yes, I am aware that "Zarathustra" was written before 1923. I don't know about the other song because kkffoo doesn't even have the courtesy to id the song and the composer and the artist in the credits.) It doesn't matter that no one's making any money off it. And Moviestorm has a policy against copyright infringement. If they don't want to obey it, they should change the rules. I could do a lot more things if I had access to the entire catalog of recorded music.

Look at it this way: if NBC stole your movies and broadcast them without permission or even paying you royalties, would that be ok? I know that's a ridiculous example and would never happen in a billion years, but you get the idea. They certainly wouldn't make any money off showing your movies, so I guess it would be jake with you.

I agree that most of the people on Moviestorm have been great, but I am not going to stand for being slandered by nobodies. I merely stated that I did not believe that kkffoo had the rights to the music she used, and it appears that I was right on.

#17 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:03 AM

Grouchobeer, I like your stuff. I think you're just off on the wrong foot here, and bits like "take a course in reading comprehension" don't help. You were saying that having a movie in a festival in Hollywood gives you more cred than equinoxx, and then you were doubting that he is who he says.

Yes, he could be a dog. We all know the old joke. But until someone tries to use a claim of identity in some way on the net, going around doubting everyone gets tiresome.

As for copyright, let's just leave it at saying it's a very complex issue. The reason your position is the conservative one is because it's the one that saves lawyers from having to argue about whether something was permitted under fair use or another principle.

Lucinda's right. Time to be One Big Happy Moviestorm Family again!

#18 grouchobeer

grouchobeer

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:36 AM

I never said anything about equinoxx, I was talking about mrjoyce. I just don't think it's plausible that someone who claims to have been in the movie business for twenty three years doesn't know Groucho Marx is dead, or even how to spell his name. If you don't need a course in reading comprehension, then you are deliberately twisting my words, which is reprehensible.

Copyright is not a complex issue in this case. She is either guilty or not guilty of infringement. A person who is not guilty would say where she got the rights from. A person who is guilty would get her friends to twist her accuser's words around and try to make it all about him and say it's not copyright infringement because it's not for profit. The festival is on Second Life, which last I heard was a FOR PROFIT SITE. So there goes that last (spurious) argument.

More to the point, it is against the rules of Moviestorm. As is calling me a liar and an alcoholic, both of which was done in this thread.

#19 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:41 AM

(willshetterly)
You were saying that having a movie in a festival in Hollywood gives you more cred than equinoxx, and then you were doubting that he is who he says.

Just to be clear, it wasn't me to whom Mr. Beer was referring, it was mrjoyce.

Me, I'm just some radio dude from Massachusetts working an overnight shift on his birthday. How much cred that gives me, I neither know, nor, frankly, care all that much. I'm just hoping cake will be involved at some point. 8)
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#20 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:46 AM

This is another one of my favorite movies. Looking forward to seeing the expo..
Great to see :-)