27 replies to this topic

#1 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

http://www.moviestor...nity_guidelines

This is very interesting and very useful.

#2 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

The rules only make sense if following them means we end up with a useful and friendly forum.
Some people will always be able to work within the rules, while still pursuing their own agenda in a way which contravenes the spirit of these guidelines.
Others will tend to blow up and react when this happens.
Sometimes the person who is ostensibly keeping to the rules is actually in the wrong, and worse than that, skilled at sly trouble-making which gets others into bother.
This is why it is necessary to look at the whole picture and not focus too narrowly on the rules.

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

There aren't too many people who post on the forums anymore, except a few of us who have been around a long time. The forums do get read though. I wish we could all be friendlier to each other because that will encourage new users to post more here and to stay with Moviestorm.

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 28 2013, 5:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish we could all be friendlier to each other because that will encourage new users to post more here and to stay with Moviestorm.

Well people can wish, Lucinda but if they insist on repeating behaviours that ignore netiquette and annoy everyone else then the wishes will be in vain.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 27 2013, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There aren't too many people who post on the forums anymore, except a few of us who have been around a long time. The forums do get read though. I wish we could all be friendlier to each other because that will encourage new users to post more here and to stay with Moviestorm.

Some forum members are extremely selfish, thoughtless and disrespectful to the community. I think these forums are friendly for the most part, except when the aforementioned knuckleheads turn this place upside down with their rude and annoying behavior. I can't stand selfishness and arrogant behavior. It really pushes my buttons.

Update:

I would also like to add that I think quite a few of the veteran MS'ers here have stopped posting due to the actions of some people here, who think the forums and movies pages are theirs to do with as they please, without regards for others. In other forums, like TMU, the people spoiling it for everyone else would get kicked out permanently. Apparently, this is not the case here at MS.
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." -some dead guy.

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.c...ser/pixel62Warp

#6 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Let's just try to keep this thread friendly so new users will see it and realize we can all learn to be nice to each other. Otherwise, Ben will just lock the thread or delete it.

#7 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 27 2013, 2:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's just try to keep this thread friendly so new users will see it and realize we can all learn to be nice to each other. Otherwise, Ben will just lock the thread or delete it.

I don't think anyone in this thread has been unfriendly. But maintaining civility does not mean that we can't air our frustrations. If you want to look at the cause of the conflicts here at MS, look at those who create resentment with their behavior, not the people who have to put up with said behavior. There are always a couple of bad apples in every bunch. Getting rid of them is the key to a more peaceful forum.
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." -some dead guy.

#8 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

vphilly, I really think we should not air our frustrations in public in these forums. If you want to say something on Facebook fine but don't be negative about Moviestorm.

#9 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 27 2013, 4:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
vphilly, I really think we should not air our frustrations in public in these forums. If you want to say something on Facebook fine but don't be negative about Moviestorm.

No one is being negative about Moviestorm, Lucinda. The negativity very clearly falls to those individuals that invite such with their behavior. I'm not singling anyone in particular out. People are leaving these forums because of all the frustration. Everyone should feel a part of this forum. The people that are leaving clearly do not and that is not fair. Airing our frustration in these forums serve two purposes. One, it lets the toxic individuals know that the community is not happy with them and two, it lets the staff know that all is not well. Now whether those individuals or the staff do anything to fix the situation is another matter, but at least all the cards are on the table. If the strife scares off the newbies, then clearly something needs to be done to resolve the problems.

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

vphilly, I don't agree with you. If you do not like someones remarks in a forum thread, just tell Ben and he will remove the thread. It is not good to have this fighting in public.

#11 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

I have been at a different movie forum for a long time now, but still like to come here. I think it would be very poor form on any moderator's part to remove posts just because they are a little testy. It is our own responsibility to own up to what we post.

#12 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

Actually the staff will lock or remove a post if there is arguing going on. They do that without even being asked.

#13 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123)
If you do not like someones remarks in a forum thread, just tell Ben and he will remove the thread.

In other words, hide in a corner and don't accept anything anyone says. The onbly time something should be removed is if it goes against the community standards or guidelines.

QUOTE (lucindamc123)
Actually the staff will lock or remove a post if there is arguing going on. They do that without even being asked.

No, not really. They will allow some dissention but not a lot. Locking a thread is only a last resort. For someone to continually call for threads to be locked when seeing an opposing viewpoint means that person is not willing to better themselves.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#14 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 27 2013, 6:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
vphilly, I don't agree with you. If you do not like someones remarks in a forum thread, just tell Ben and he will remove the thread. It is not good to have this fighting in public.

Here's the thing. I don't want Ben to lock threads and remove posts. I will not hide from someone telling me that a movie of mine needs work. I welcome honest criticism and will give the same. Coddling is not good for anyone and does a disservice to the community. I have a thick enough skin that I can take someone's suggestions for improvement without feeling attacked.

#15 vphilly

vphilly

Director

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 27 2013, 7:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only arguing that goes on here is with folks that don't like to take suggestions and inspire strife within these forums. The rest of us are mature enough to conduct ourselves civilly and take criticism without falling all to pieces.

#16 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

vphilly, I know you are talking about me. In the threads where people were critiquing my movies, I didn't argue back at all. I just told them that I listen to the people who pay me to make the movies and do the things they want in the movies and that they all like the movies I make and I do get paid to do this. And as far as the Psychotherapist and Patient movie, I did remake the movie using some of the ideas posted in that thread.

#17 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 28 2013, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
vphilly, I know you are talking about me. In the threads where people were critiquing my movies, I didn't argue back at all. I just told them that I listen to the people who pay me to make the movies and do the things they want in the movies and that they all like the movies I make and I do get paid to do this. And as far as the Psychotherapist and Patient movie, I did remake the movie using some of the ideas posted in that thread.

He did not directly mention you and there are several people who fall into the category he alluded to. As for arguing, just by saying you are not arguing, you are arguing. Besides, referencing one thread barely starts to cover it. I'll admit I have argued with others on the forums over something I said. It is human nature. Disagreements are to be expected. It is when numerous people point out the same thing oner and over again and the person keeps saying they are doing nothing wrong, there is something wrong and they are arguing.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#18 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

I'm finding it a bit hard to follow what you are saying Lucinda, is this it?;

I am not breaking the rules, see here are the rules, some of you are breaking the rules.

I guess it is only natural that over time people will find loopholes and ways of gaming the system (5 starring your own movie, using new users to promote yourself etc)

In which case the community response seems to be, that the rules need to change to better accommodate the needs of the majority, including those of potential new users.

#19 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 28 2013, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
vphilly, I know you are talking about me.

Every one of the posts in this thread is about you. Ev-er-y one. You're just unable to see it.

#20 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

I don't know if you have noticed or not, but I am not responding to any of these remarks anymore. I will only post messages if people need some help with something or if I release a new addon or a new movie or if I want to compliment someone on their movie or the addon they have created.