25 replies to this topic

#21 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 30 2012, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it is also on IMDB so I have to release it commercially.

Ok, that got me curious so I did a search to see what IMDB required to list a work on their site.

I don't think it needs to be commercially released. It only needs to be of interest to the general public.

From what I read, charging for it doesn't meet that requirement. Making it available to the public may though on a technicality since you're distributing it on Amazon. I would guess you don't even need to sell a single copy in that case.

Here is what I found in their help files:

Eligibility: General Public Interest

For a work to be eligible for inclusion in the database it must be of general public interest and should be available to the public or have been available in the past. We accept most kinds of films/TV shows, including big screen and direct-to-DVD features; documentaries; experimental films and short films. We also list video games, though at present, we do not list commercials, video clips or music videos (these go to the biographical section under 'other works'). General public interest is assumed if a work has been:

Released in cinemas.
Shown on non-local TV.
Released on video or prints have been made available to the public (See exceptions below on limited distribution titles).
Listed in the catalog of an established video retailer; (e.g. Amazon.com).
Accepted and shown on film festivals that don't accept everything regardless of its quality (if you have doubt, see this page for details).
Made by a (now) famous artist or person of public interest.
Made famous for some reason and is widely talked about/referenced in non-local media or the 'film community' or is now of general historic interest for some reason.
NOTE: Unless general public interest is assumed for one of the reasons stated above, general public interest is NOT given just because a work has been:

Digitized and put on an internet page for downloading (). For more information, please see this special guide.
Offered to the public on the web via home made video tape/DVD-R copies.
Made during/for a film class, workshop or any other educational program.
Made for a local institution (such as a university or company) for internal use.
Made for private home use only (i.e. like a home movie, which is of a strictly private nature).
Made for local consumption by friends, family members and neighbours, the local school campus etc. (including "local access television").
IMDb retains the right to reject any work whose eligibility according to above rules is dubious and/or unverifiable. This may include works which are in their very first development stages. If you would like to submit a project in development, please sign-up for IMDbPro. IMDb retains the right to change and adapt eligibility rules as circumstances require.NOTE: While individual TV series episodes are accepted, they should not be submitted using the new title form; instead, you should use the "Add Episode" button associated with the series title.
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#22 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

The Man from Schenectady was on IMDB as soon as I made a trailer and the movie was only about 25% finished at that time. Wonder Boy was put on IMDB even before it was barely started. But that was because Robin Morningstar was already on IMDB and that is what got me on IMDB. Now everything I do that is released to the public is put on IMDB. But personally I only submit full length feature films although some people I have made previs for or small shorts have had their movies put on IMDB because they were already on IMDB for other films.

When I was an artist making silk paintings and batik, I sold all my work because people wanted to buy it. And people also now hire me to make short commercial videos.

#23 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 30 2012, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most commercial movies are in theaters for about 6 months and then they end up on Netflix and cable and then later on regular TV.

This is true, but those are subscription services, and the studios still get royalties for the movies on there. The movies aren't free. I imagine if someone who bought the movie found out later that you were giving it away they would not be pleased, and would certainly not purchase a movie from you again. If you're going to sell it, it's best to commit to it. There are other options for monetizing movies that would allow you to avoid that predicament. Worth consideration smile.gif

#24 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

The movie is now available on CreateSpace https://www.createspace.com/338360 and on Amazon http://www.amazon.co..._...3043&sr=1-2

It is also available for viewing on Amazon now. for only $2.99 http://www.amazon.co...c...4095&sr=1-1

I probably won't upload it for view on the internet. I might try to get it on Time Warner Cable TV though a I have had two movies on there.

#25 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 1 2012, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wonder Boy was put on IMDB even before it was barely started.

Perhaps because they thought the rights holder had something to do with it (i.e. Sega).

Which of course they didn't.

#26 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (iceaxe @ May 1 2012, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps because they thought the rights holder had something to do with it (i.e. Sega).

Which of course they didn't.

No, it was because Robin Morningstar was already on IMDB and had several credits. We had several distributor offers too. Oh Robin is adding a trailer for another new release of his to the DVD and also adding the Wonder Boy trailer to the new release film, so the DVD is not available for sale right now but should be soon depending upon how long it takes Amazon to create the proof of the new DVD.