Welcome to the New Look Moviestorm website!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 armandoxthegreat

armandoxthegreat

Director

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:01 AM

Looking great! very refreshing! i like this
I'm the Ed Wood of Machinima

#22 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ May 12 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My movies will not play but I always convert them to FLV before I upload and thus they are small files and should have no problems playing.

Lucinda,

I have an idea why your movies are not playing - I think my data migration script fouled up. On the old system movies had a "download" version (the one originally uploaded) and a "playback" version (the original converted to FLV), but when an FLV was uploaded that single file was used that for both "download" and "playback". My migration script copied over details of "playback" files only (because the new site only uses FLVs for both playback and download).

Anyway, I should be able to restore your movies...give me a few hours and they will hopefully be back.

Sorry for the foul-up!

Regards,
Ben
Ben
Moviestorm Community Website Developer

#23 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

The Moviestorm.alpha heading is now Moviestorm.beta. I think you need to be careful that new visitors don't get the idea that Moviestorm itself is beta.

Just a thought smile.gif

#24 sisch

sisch

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

I just love the new look! smile.gif
Very clean, easy to find one's way around - great work!

But I just noticed that my "Pioneer" status didn't make it over here!

#25 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (sisch @ May 13 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just love the new look! smile.gif
Very clean, easy to find one's way around - great work!

But I just noticed that my "Pioneer" status didn't make it over here!

Sorry sisch, "Pioneer" status has now been returned to you smile.gif
Ben

#26 Guest_yolise_*

Guest_yolise_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (iceaxe @ May 13 2009, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Moviestorm.alpha heading is now Moviestorm.beta. I think you need to be careful that new visitors don't get the idea that Moviestorm itself is beta.

Just a thought smile.gif

Very good point! Hmm. I could say Moviestorm.site.beta, maybe, but that looks kinda weird.

#27 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, but GREAT JOB GUYS!

When I sneaked on yesterday afternoon I'd noticed that one of my Favourite Directors had become Alfred Hitch***, and attempts to give him back his... ahem... failed miserably. I'm pleased to see that, although still Hitch*** when I logged on this morning, I was able to change it back to Hitchmember no problem tongue.gif

But it might be worth the rest of youse checking your profiles to see if any of your favourite Directors, Actors or Movies were similarly injured during the mass migration.

PN

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#28 Guest_yolise_*

Guest_yolise_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Poulet Noir @ May 13 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a bit late to the party, but GREAT JOB GUYS!

When I sneaked on yesterday afternoon I'd noticed that one of my Favourite Directors had become Alfred Hitch***, and attempts to give him back his... ahem... failed miserably. I'm pleased to see that, although still Hitch*** when I logged on this morning, I was able to change it back to Hitchmember no problem tongue.gif

But it might be worth the rest of youse checking your profiles to see if any of your favourite Directors, Actors or Movies were similarly injured during the mass migration.

PN

Ha! We were surprised to see that do***entary was "edited" as well. You just never know quite how extreme bad word filters are until you see them in action.

We turned that "feature" off. smile.gif

#29 bengarrett1971

bengarrett1971

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (bengarrett1971 @ May 13 2009, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucinda,

I have an idea why your movies are not playing - I think my data migration script fouled up. On the old system movies had a "download" version (the one originally uploaded) and a "playback" version (the original converted to FLV), but when an FLV was uploaded that single file was used that for both "download" and "playback". My migration script copied over details of "playback" files only (because the new site only uses FLVs for both playback and download).

Anyway, I should be able to restore your movies...give me a few hours and they will hopefully be back.

Sorry for the foul-up!

Regards,
Ben

OK, I've now fixed the migration of all FLV movies from the old site to the new one, so they should now all be viewable. Yesterday's migration missed all those movies out, which affected quite a few people, including lucinda, sisch and also some of our own promo movies! Oops unsure.gif

If anyone sees anything else I missed, give me a shout!

Regards,
Ben
Ben

#30 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (bengarrett1971 @ May 13 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, I've now fixed the migration of all FLV movies from the old site to the new one, so they should now all be viewable. Yesterday's migration missed all those movies out, which affected quite a few people, including lucinda, sisch and also some of our own promo movies! Oops unsure.gif

If anyone sees anything else I missed, give me a shout!

Regards,
Ben

Thanks a lot. They look fine now and play great. Yes I always just convert them to FLYV. It is easier that way and I have a good FLV converter. Forums and movie pages especially look great. Whole thing is much easier to navigate around.

#31 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

Despite my misgivings the new site is quite good and you have done an amazing job with the switch over, just one thing why is there so much empty space around the edges, surely the middle bit could be expanded out a bit, it just seems like so much wasted space?

Regards
David

Empty space

Maybe it could be expanded a bit for those of us who still only have a 17inch monitor

Moviestorm still Number One

#32 saument

saument

Director

• Pioneers
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

Loving the new site! Great job, guys.

Is there any way you can lower the minimum word length on the forum searches to 3? I was trying to find threads dealing with depth of field issues and couldn't search the string "DOF", but I'm pretty sure there are threads that only refer to it that way.
=================================
Stephen Aument
Jeslync Pictures

#33 Guest_yolise_*

Guest_yolise_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (saument @ May 13 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Loving the new site! Great job, guys.

Is there any way you can lower the minimum word length on the forum searches to 3? I was trying to find threads dealing with depth of field issues and couldn't search the string "DOF", but I'm pretty sure there are threads that only refer to it that way.

Sure. I'll sort that.

DavidWWW - All the sites use the same CSS, so it's a design feature of the rest of the site. Would be tricky to change, to be honest. We'll keep it in mind, of course.

edit: oh, I see you're suggesting expanding the whole thing, not just the inside. It's actually only 20 pixels narrower than the old site.

#34 Guest_yolise_*

Guest_yolise_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

Minimum Search is now 3 characters. smile.gif

#35 Walvince

Walvince

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

This is me or we can't see if there is new posts on the main page? Or maybe this is because all topics are considered as new?
Sorry in advance for my bad english^^

#36 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Poulet Noir @ May 13 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I sneaked on yesterday afternoon I'd noticed that one of my Favourite Directors had become Alfred Hitch***,

Yes. I had similar problems with the working title of my new movie. It was to be called Scunthorpe. tongue.gif

#37 Guest_yolise_*

Guest_yolise_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Walvince @ May 13 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is me or we can't see if there is new posts on the main page? Or maybe this is because all topics are considered as new?

They are when you first visit the site. Best thing to do is read everything you want to, then set all posts as read. Next time you come back, you should only see new posts.

#38 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (yolise @ May 14 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
edit: oh, I see you're suggesting expanding the whole thing, not just the inside. It's actually only 20 pixels narrower than the old site.

It seems to make a big difference on my 17" monitor (I remember when that was big) as it was the first thing I noticed when using it for the first time, I'll just have to cope, thanks for your reply yolise.

Regards
David

P.S. I'm still not getting any email notifications to replies in any posts as well

#39 tkd27

tkd27

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 780 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (davidwww @ May 13 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Despite my misgivings the new site is quite good and you have done an amazing job with the switch over, just one thing why is there so much empty space around the edges, surely the middle bit could be expanded out a bit, it just seems like so much wasted space?

Regards
David

I personally hope not - viewing the forums on a mobile device (iPhone, in my case) is hard enough. I appreciate this. However, being on a 15 inch home monitor, I can relate, but can't you zoom the page in? I always assumed it was a standard web browser feature (thought maybe not), but on my browser if you hold control and rotate the mouse wheel (the third mouse button) it actually zooms the page. That's made home viewing easier for me smile.gif

#40 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (tkd27 @ May 14 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally hope not - viewing the forums on a mobile device (iPhone, in my case) is hard enough. I appreciate this. However, being on a 15 inch home monitor, I can relate, but can't you zoom the page in? I always assumed it was a standard web browser feature (thought maybe not), but on my browser if you hold control and rotate the mouse wheel (the third mouse button) it actually zooms the page. That's made home viewing easier for me smile.gif

Well I'll be jiggered, I have just learnt some thing after all these years of using Firefox.
I did not know you could do that, how dumb am I rolleyes.gif Thanks tkd27 you can teach an old dog new tricks

Regards
David