• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

When I create a scene with characters sitting inside cars, they work great in the Set Workshop View, Director's View and Camerawork View, however when it comes to the Cutting Room View, all characters vanish. Please help correct this.

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

How are you sitting the characters in cars?

The method that I tried seemed to work ok in the cutting room:
Sit character on a chair
In the set workshop, shift drag the chair to be on top of the car (so it is attached)
In the set workshop, use the gizmo to move the chair to the right position (moving things with the gizmo does not change what they are attached to)
In the directors view, make the car move after the character sits on the chair.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hi Ben,

I used very similar method than described. Used chair prop (x3 with hide option selected). Made three characters sit down and pose as required. Moved the chairs into position. Placed the mini car around them using the multi-coloured arrows. Tweaked the chair positions to fit the characters better in the car. Placed all on the Sedan Slider, tweaking as required to attach. All then moved as a single prop on the slider as required. Everything looks great, until I try and run the footage in the Cutting Room View, when all the characters are simply not showing, although they do appear flawlessly in the other views.

I am completely puzzled blink.gif

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5409 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

You have to place the chairs either on the car or on a slider first, and you
have to have the actors appear on the seats or slider not just on the ground, before moving anything
otherwise the actors will lose the link to them when you move the chairs onto the slider.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

I have had artifacts in the Cutting Room View or while rendering a few times (character suddenly not holding a hand-held prop, not gesturizing as they should, walk a different path etc.), usually closing MS, and reopening after a few seconds solved the problem.
Did you try to start MS new, or even to save your movie under another name?

#6 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (procureagent @ Jan 7 2014, 9:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ben,

I used very similar method than described. Used chair prop (x3 with hide option selected). Made three characters sit down and pose as required. Moved the chairs into position. Placed the mini car around them using the multi-coloured arrows. Tweaked the chair positions to fit the characters better in the car. Placed all on the Sedan Slider, tweaking as required to attach. All then moved as a single prop on the slider as required. Everything looks great, until I try and run the footage in the Cutting Room View, when all the characters are simply not showing, although they do appear flawlessly in the other views.

I am completely puzzled blink.gif

If you want to share the movie with me (use the share tab on the script editor to produce a sharedmovie), then I can have a look at it, see if it reproduces for me.
You could contact me directly at ben.sanders (at) moviestorm.co.uk
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#7 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hi Ben,

When attempting to save the shared movie, I got the error...

Failed to save movie!
Davidwww's Squirrley Mods

This related to a background building which, when removed, then allowed the shared file save, however the characters then appeared as they should do in the Cutting Room view, seeming to indicate the inclusion of Building SQ1 from Davidwww's Squirrley Mods was causing the initial problem with the characters. When I saved and restarted the movie however, the initial problem in the Cutting Room view returned, even though Buidling SQ1 was still removed.

I will attempt to email the shared movie to you directly.

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Thanks - I'm away for a few days, but should be able to have a look at it on Monday.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#9 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Not got an email from you yet - saving or sharing a movie should work correctly from the Cutting Room with 1.6 prior to me getting the patch which fixes the problem out.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#10 procureagent

procureagent

Master Director

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hi Ben,

The size of the shared movie file won't allow me to email it across due to size restrictions with Outlook, however the issue has happened in another scene with characters sitting in a car. When I get back on the computer in the next day or two, I will see if this other scene 'shares' in a smaller file size, and will attempt to send that one if the email software allows.