• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:20 AM

MovieStorm presently only has 2 working skeletons characters (Male01,Female01)
That’s going to change very soon.

I’m adding More Characters of many sizes. and most assuredly children too.

My characters will share the basic Core of the standard MovieStorm character animations (Gaits,Idles,etc.) from my own remastered (source code not available to me) animations using the same names as the core animations so characters will play well in-game.

The plan is they won't do all the things that Male01/Female01 can do, though a lot of the MS basics are being translated and new animations will be added.
Many of my new animations will also be translated to the standard MovieStorm characters tool

Cory is just the first in development.
A large bulked up creature. with huge hands so there is a lot of re-targeting work needed on his body. EG. while standing,running, i will be re-target-blending hand positions away from the body.

Below A 10year old boy MakeHuman character in development and new outfit for female01:

With hope i can have some new characters out in September 2014 for my veteran patrons.
More updates soon.

#2 rollasoc

rollasoc

Film Critic

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (tree @ Aug 24 2014, 5:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MovieStorm presently only has 2 working skeletons characters (Male01,Female01)
That’s going to change very soon.

I’m adding More Characters of many sizes. and most assuredly children too.

My characters will share the basic Core of the standard MovieStorm character animations (Gaits,Idles,etc.) from my own remastered (source code not available to me) animations using the same names as the core animations so characters will play well in-game.

The plan is they won't do all the things that Male01/Female01 can do, though a lot of the MS basics are being translated and new animations will be added.
Many of my new animations will also be translated to the standard MovieStorm characters tool

Cory is just the first in development.
A large bulked up creature. with huge hands so there is a lot of re-targeting work needed on his body. EG. while standing,running, i will be re-target-blending hand positions away from the body.

Below A 10year old boy MakeHuman character in development and new outfit for female01:

With hope i can have some new characters out in September 2014 for my veteran patrons.
More updates soon.

Looking really good?

Any chance of having the manikin we talked about in March included in the September Update?
For my music
http://www.hairthieves.com

For my photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rollasoc
(my main site is down for maintenance)

For videos
http://www.youtube.c...tXQGheaHEqLz-Q/

#3 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 848 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

DROOL DROOL DROOL

Excellent looking stuff sir!
C

#4 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Cory looks awesome!

#5 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (pedrosura @ Aug 25 2014, 3:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cory looks awesome!

Teaching Cory to talk: Re-mastering the standard MS Male01/Female01 viseme (using the same MovieStorm file names with my new animations) .. the mouth moments by sight (viewing the animations within the modersWorkshop) onto the New Cory Bone system. Lets hope he's a good talker...

#6 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

You are a true modding God Tree.

Looking forward to these new skeletons.
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#7 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

That's fantastic!! laugh.gif Something well overdue. wink.gif
I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--

#8 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Nice.

Do ask if there is anything that I've not explained properly with getting it all set up.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#9 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

I AM GROOT!

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#10 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

Not to get expectations too high on this:
For the people who don't know how MovieStorm works; Building a new skeleton wont automatically give you access to all the store of Male01/Female01 animations.
All animations are new to the new character.

QUOTE (rollasoc @ Aug 25 2014, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking really good?
Any chance of having the manikin we talked about in March included in the September Update?

With Hope It's going to be good. 100s of hours of work to get it started but should be faster as progress is made.
@ rollasoc: Manikin is in the todo list; not made it to the top just yet.

QUOTE (Harb40 @ Aug 25 2014, 6:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are a true modding God Tree.
Looking forward to these new skeletons.

Many thanks.
I'm Looking forward to getting my own functioning with many branching functions

QUOTE (sosberg @ Aug 25 2014, 8:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's fantastic!! laugh.gif Something well overdue. wink.gif

Many Thanks.
To just get it started it's time expensive to re-build the basic MovieStorm core animations, re-target, then personalise them.
Then feed them back into the MovieStorm engine.

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 25 2014, 9:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice.

Do ask if there is anything that I've not explained properly with getting it all set up.

Many thanks Ben.
There are a few things that are holding up the progress: VISEME isn't fully functional yet. only a few mouth movements are working...
1 frame face animations show up within the moddersWorkshop but don't play well in-game.
The mouth movement problem is Possibly due to the properties file not having the correct VISEME arrangements.
After some more progress (), I'd like to ask you about (and give some example pictures/files) how to get the talking system to work well.
Though firstly; I'll have a go at studying/learning-from the Fe-Male01 face skeletons and their skeleton properties file for the key ordering and apply it to my new skeleton properties file...

The good news; walking,facial expressions, and Idle animations are working well on Cory.
Will re-target to a 130cm character soon

QUOTE (aroundworld @ Aug 26 2014, 1:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I AM GROOT!

LOL

#11 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

The [charactername].properties file has a value called VISEME_MASK= (with a list of bone names)
This is used to define which bones are used for animations for the mouth.

It's likely that visemes animation only play on the mouth, so if the mask is not correctly set, they may not play at all.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#12 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 27 2014, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The [charactername].properties file has a value called VISEME_MASK= (with a list of bone names)
This is used to define which bones are used for animations for the mouth.

It's likely that visemes animation only play on the mouth, so if the mask is not correctly set, they may not play at all.

Thanks Ben:
Here is my layout of my skeleton:

here is the viseme entry (it is only on one line but here it wraps so you could see clearly) in the [charactername].properties file:
VISEME_MASK=Bip01 UpperLidR, Bip01 UpperLidL, Bip01 Nostrils, Bip01 LowerLidR, Bip01 LowerLidL, Bip01 LipUpperR, Bip01 LipUpperL, Bip01 LipCornerR, Bip01 LipCornerL, Bip01 Jaw, Bip01 TongueR, Bip01 TongueF, Bip01 LipLowerR, Bip01 LipLowerL, Bip01 CheekR, Bip01 CheekL, Bip01 BrowOuterR, Bip01 BrowOuterL, Bip01 BrowInnerR, Bip01 BrowInnerL, Bip01 R Eye, Bip01 L Eye

my rough draft of animations on Cory:

Note: on exporting the CAF file I turned the bones off before the head: root:biped01, pelvis, spine etc.... so i wouldn't get a horrible positional glitch of the character's body slightly moving out of place.

Question1:Any Ideas on VISEME layout from the details shown above?

question2: Should I build Statemachine entries for the animations shared with the core Gait/Viseme/Idle/etc. animations? I guess I don't because i get a warning message in the Log file stating a duplicated entry.

question3: Male01/Female01 Expressions have 2-3 frames and it appears that the second frame is the 'more extreme' of the expression: is this how expression animations work?

-------------------
Cory got a short haircut, shirt and shorts and a crowd, medium and high res:

The Ideal is to get a crowd nd medium poly version into moviestorm.

#13 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Q1
In your skeleton layout message, I'm not seeing the bone names you have in the VISEME_MASK

For example, in your skeleton, there is a bone named "Jaw", where as in the VISEME_MASK you are referring to a bone named "Bip01 Jaw" - it should be "Jaw" like in your skeleton. There are a number of entries with different names, and this mask is supposed to list the bones in your skeleton that are used for animating the mouth.

Q2 no

Q3 - not all the expressions in the expressions folder are used.
The code that uses them is this:
neutral = getAnim ("Visemes/BaseClosed");
xViseme = getExpression ("Blank");
happy = getExpression ("SmileClosed");
sad = getExpression ("Sadness");
anger = getExpression ("Anger");
disgust = getExpression ("Disgust");
fear = getExpression ("Fear");
surprise = getExpression ("Surprise");
blinkLeft = getExpression ("BlinkLeft");
blinkRight = getExpression ("BlinkRight");
blinkBoth = getExpression ("BlinkBoth");
eyesLeft = getExpression ("Eyes_Left");
eyesRight = getExpression ("Eyes_Right");
eyesUp = getExpression ("Eyes_Up");
eyesDown = getExpression ("Eyes_Down");

I would suggest not bothering with other animations in the expressions folder other than this set. I'm only seeing the three frame version you describe in the animations such as "x_happy" which is not actually used anywhere.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#14 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Aug 29 2014, 9:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Q1
In your skeleton layout message, I'm not seeing the bone names you have in the VISEME_MASK

For example, in your skeleton, there is a bone named "Jaw", where as in the VISEME_MASK you are referring to a bone named "Bip01 Jaw" - it should be "Jaw" like in your skeleton. There are a number of entries with different names, and this mask is supposed to list the bones in your skeleton that are used for animating the mouth.

Q2 no

Q3 - not all the expressions in the expressions folder are used.
The code that uses them is this:
neutral = getAnim ("Visemes/BaseClosed");
xViseme = getExpression ("Blank");
happy = getExpression ("SmileClosed");
sad = getExpression ("Sadness");
anger = getExpression ("Anger");
disgust = getExpression ("Disgust");
fear = getExpression ("Fear");
surprise = getExpression ("Surprise");
blinkLeft = getExpression ("BlinkLeft");
blinkRight = getExpression ("BlinkRight");
blinkBoth = getExpression ("BlinkBoth");
eyesLeft = getExpression ("Eyes_Left");
eyesRight = getExpression ("Eyes_Right");
eyesUp = getExpression ("Eyes_Up");
eyesDown = getExpression ("Eyes_Down");

I would suggest not bothering with other animations in the expressions folder other than this set. I'm only seeing the three frame version you describe in the animations such as "x_happy" which is not actually used anywhere.

Many Thanks Ben; very helpful... I can really work with this
Q1 answer= Ahh, thanks Ben, now I see why and how I messed up that one.
Once I get this working I can work on the Mirror data entries within the properties file...

Q2 answer = very Happy about that answer; save a lot of messing about or messing up other characters.
For Any new animation (unconnected with male01/female01), I'll write a statemachine entry.

I can't assume that my (eg addon with cory skeleton/character) new skeleton Addon will be active all the time (unlike MS Core Addon); so when porting my animations for use on the Male01/Female01 characters into an extra addon, I'll have to add the same machinestate entries used with my Cory Skeleton.
Redundancy is needed in this case I'm thinking.
The duplicate warning is passive; in-game nobody will be interrupted.

Q3 answer = Ahh, great to see which animations are active and redundant and how the code works.

This gives me confidence about getting my new character talking with your help.

.... after some work on some viseme and Expression animations, then the right skeleton data in the properties file :

Note on above video: So With Ben's help, I've got Cory talking.

#15 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (tree @ Aug 29 2014, 6:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many Thanks Ben; very helpful... I can really work with this
Q1 answer= Ahh, thanks Ben, now I see why and how I messed up that one.
Once I get this working I can work on the Mirror data entries within the properties file...

The mirror data is used when doing the pre-walk part of a walk cycle, to mirror animations starting with the right foot to generate variations that start with the left foot (or possibly the other way around).
Q2 answer = very Happy about that answer; save a lot of messing about or messing up other characters.
For Any new animation (unconnected with male01/female01), I'll write a statemachine entry.

I can't assume that my (eg addon with cory skeleton/character) new skeleton Addon will be active all the time (unlike MS Core Addon); so when porting my animations for use on the Male01/Female01 characters into an extra addon, I'll have to add the same machinestate entries used with my Cory Skeleton.
Redundancy is needed in this case I'm thinking.
The duplicate warning is passive; in-game nobody will be interrupted.

Yes, that is exactly why we have duplication warnings in already - we have the same animations in multiple addons, and cannot assume that people have both, so the information is duplicated in the statemachines in each addon that contains the animations. The duplication is only a problem if there is different data (with the same key) in two addons, as only one version would be used.

Each statemachine entry for an animation is character independent, and thus supports having an animation in the same place with the same name for each character, working in a similar way.

I'm curious as to what software you are using for your 3d character work, and what import process you are using to get things into Moviestorm. And, for that matter, what you are using to import stuff from Moviestorm into your 3d software, if you are doing that.

Nice work, and Cory is looking good.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#16 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Sep 1 2014, 9:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mirror data is used when doing the pre-walk part of a walk cycle, to mirror animations starting with the right foot to generate variations that start with the left foot (or possibly the other way around).

Yes, that is exactly why we have duplication warnings in already - we have the same animations in multiple addons, and cannot assume that people have both, so the information is duplicated in the statemachines in each addon that contains the animations. The duplication is only a problem if there is different data (with the same key) in two addons, as only one version would be used.

Each statemachine entry for an animation is character independent, and thus supports having an animation in the same place with the same name for each character, working in a similar way.

I'm curious as to what software you are using for your 3d character work, and what import process you are using to get things into Moviestorm. And, for that matter, what you are using to import stuff from Moviestorm into your 3d software, if you are doing that.

Nice work, and Cory is looking good.

Thanks for liking the look of Cory. I hope I can humanise/skin him as well with the same DNA (basic overall look/form)

Cory Character:
3D character Work: Cory was (born) procedurally generated in Autodesk Character Generator(ACG). He is a part of the 'bulked' up character set; setting up my own variation on his shape, texture, and clothing, morphing between many various characters to end up with something to my liking....
Minor re-texturing and some skinning work needed to be done to get things looking good; saves lots of time and still has the option of modding and extending the character in the future:

I end up with a good set of crowd,low res and hi res skinned mesh, body and face bones system to work with.
Sadly no children; though can make a good range of believable characters down to 130cm with the right combo of features and textures....

Here is the the boy character I’m working on at the same time as Cory:

I hope to build a lot more Characters from ACG; For example These Bulky characters (human/alien texture skin variations), a tall 193cm white man with red hair, and a 130 young teen (14-16yrs) mild obesity and child like face... to name just a little.
A completely new set of animations would have to be built for each of the different character sizes, forms:
No automatic retargeting or blend bone adjustments onset within moviestorm.

(I did see a Retargeting properties file text file within the Core Addon in moviestorm; with a data match between the male01 and female01 characters so maybe...._)

Animation Dev:
I don't have movieStorm's source animations , so I am slowly building up my own matching source animations from the Male01 set of animations in various ways; visually from the modders workshop visual matching key frame time positions etc..(adding extra reference props and frame Grabbing for external motion-capture...much like a motion capture studio ),

With very limited success:
and also using misfit software for reference only; converting with something close to 20% success rate of older CAF animations… Most conversions flip rotate body and arms and fingers are always mangled.. in bad ways, corrupt on export. Its a total mess but i do get a few poses and parts of animations i can use for reference.
I build my own source animation data that i can use to later re-target between my various skeletons keeping very close to the male01 as possible.

Cory doesn't share the same neutral Idle stance nor has the same size hands as male01; so even if i skinned Cory to male01 skeleton his hands are going to never animate or rest in the right ways. He can only be built as a completely new skeleton.
Cory has his own resting positions; his own transition states.
In Dev: cory is getting some Improv animations...

It's got a long way to go : Here is Cory running around (Rendered before I built the in the mirroring data: he is doing better at this time with mirror data in the properties file but no upload on that yet):

Without mirror settings, backwards walk just didn't work and would "red-line" in the director view. It works fine now.
Without Mirror settings; Sometimes a complex combo of walking about the place with many turns and twists would cause a 'slide walk' on small sections of a complex set of walks on set...
Those "slide walks" would sort themselves out if i slightly changed 'walk stop angles'.

There has been an improvement after building the Mirror Data in the properties file, with only a few glitches.
It looks promising with fewer glitchy behaviours on complex walk paths...

Question to Ben:
Is there 'key' animations to get pointing and look at working? I don't seem to have look at working yet.

Apart from the IDLES,Gaits, what are the basic animations that need to be functioning?

I am working on building IMPROV anims at present; bring some life into the character in-game in idle moments and when directed.

#17 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (tree @ Sep 7 2014, 9:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question to Ben:
Is there 'key' animations to get pointing and look at working? I don't seem to have look at working yet.

I think pointing and lookat is entirely dependent on bone mapping configurations.
In Male01.properties, for example, there are mappings for bones starting with ROOT then PELVIS the SPINE etc, down to some finger specific ones (RIGHTFINGER1 is used in pointing with the right hand).
I think it would be preferable to get all those mappings correct, but it is likely that lookat requires a chain of bones from the ROOT through the SPINE to the HEAD, and point at requires a chain from the ROOT to the finger doing the pointing.

Apart from the IDLES,Gaits, what are the basic animations that need to be functioning?

I am working on building IMPROV anims at present; bring some life into the character in-game in idle moments and when directed.

It might be a good thing to have sitdown and standup animations for chairs of different heights.
Sofas use Sit_In_Low_Chair and Stand_Up_From_Low_Chair from the Chair folder.
Dining chairs use Sit01_Sitdown and Sit01_Standup from the Interact folder.

It might be useful to have animations for going through doors, synced up with the door opening animation - this one is maybe a little tricky, though.

Some of the animations from the Signing folder are used in the talking improvisation.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#18 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Sep 8 2014, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think pointing and lookat is entirely dependent on bone mapping configurations.
In Male01.properties, for example, there are mappings for bones starting with ROOT then PELVIS the SPINE etc, down to some finger specific ones (RIGHTFINGER1 is used in pointing with the right hand).
I think it would be preferable to get all those mappings correct, but it is likely that lookat requires a chain of bones from the ROOT through the SPINE to the HEAD, and point at requires a chain from the ROOT to the finger doing the pointing.

It might be a good thing to have sitdown and standup animations for chairs of different heights.
Sofas use Sit_In_Low_Chair and Stand_Up_From_Low_Chair from the Chair folder.
Dining chairs use Sit01_Sitdown and Sit01_Standup from the Interact folder.

It might be useful to have animations for going through doors, synced up with the door opening animation - this one is maybe a little tricky, though.

Some of the animations from the Signing folder are used in the talking improvisation.

very helpful Info, though I'm still not sure how i can get the look-at working though.
So it's code based... and I have the settings within the Properties file in-correctly set?
Would taking a look at the properties file help?

The order of my right to left arms must be switched (wrong) because i do get an arm glitch on transition between IDLE/Neutural position to walking (arms get suddenly squashed then recover in less-then a second of in-game animation.
The same issue across 2 characters (Cory & Danny having their own animations but have the same properties file structure) so i guess it's a problem with the properties file layout of the mirror data...?

Thanks very much for the Animation suggestions.
I do need to search/study through some basic moviestorm movies, Verbs and Statemachine files, to find out what animations are most active and concentrate on those rather then the redundant or dormant animations. EG. There are variations of closing the doors never used and don't even have a verb/statemachine entry.

----------

Dev. on Danny: Boy Character

Establishing the right Neutral position for him seemed important; Something he will be stuck with so I hope the hand pose and overall stance will look natural...
He still has a long way to go before he becomes a reasonable walker as Cory and have a good natural look...
It's pretty funny... what Danny gets up to when animations don't blend well... Jump-cuts all over the place..... and monster mashups springing all over the place...
After Modding the Neutral position for the hands and the overall bone system extras:

Take Danny for a run in-game:

Danny and Mark don't share the same stride length nor any of the same transition states/positions in their run/walk cycles.
From stop, move to stop; Where one animation ends, the next continues. Working on smooth transitions...
There has to be a perfect animation transition; not one bone out of place...

I like to add a Tall character into MovieStorm at some point:
(no MS animations for him at this time)

About 194cm (6 feet 4..)

About Character Dev:
The Tall guy is pretty much low on the list of activity though when i could get around to adding him; he would bring in a new overall style to a movieStorm male character.

Danny, the boy character seems the most practical and useful of new characters within MovieStorm to get started on. Danny has a little extra that i hope will make him/her much more interesting as get to personalize it's animations in the future... but first the basics...

Cory, the bulked up character could easily be transformed into a human with human face and skins. Could be a whole new set of male and female characters that share Cory's basic form.

#19 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (tree @ Sep 14 2014, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
very helpful Info, though I'm still not sure how i can get the look-at working though.
So it's code based... and I have the settings within the Properties file in-correctly set?
Would taking a look at the properties file help?

Yes, it might well do. I can certainly have a look.

The order of my right to left arms must be switched (wrong) because i do get an arm glitch on transition between IDLE/Neutural position to walking (arms get suddenly squashed then recover in less-then a second of in-game animation.
The same issue across 2 characters (Cory & Danny having their own animations but have the same properties file structure) so i guess it's a problem with the properties file layout of the mirror data...?

Does it make a difference which direction the character it walking in (slightly to their left or slightly to their right)? If so, it is likely something to do with the mirroring, as one direction would have a mirrored pre-walk and the other would not.

Thanks very much for the Animation suggestions.
I do need to search/study through some basic moviestorm movies, Verbs and Statemachine files, to find out what animations are most active and concentrate on those rather then the redundant or dormant animations. EG. There are variations of closing the doors never used and don't even have a verb/statemachine entry.

If you use the 'schedule' option on the debug menu (control d), in the Performance Events, in the characters schedule, it should show the actual animation names (although not the path) for the animations the character is playing - Door_StopStart01.CAF is in base - \AddOn\Base01\Data\Puppets\Male01\Animations\Interact, for example. It also uses Door_StopStart01_MIRRORED.CAF from the same folder.

If you do not mind, I would be happy to look at your work in progress addon with Cory; it would probably make it easier to see what is happening with the pointing and arms at the start of the walking. Possibly PM me with a link, if you want me to do so.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#20 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 927 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Sep 15 2014, 9:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it might well do. I can certainly have a look.

Does it make a difference which direction the character it walking in (slightly to their left or slightly to their right)? If so, it is likely something to do with the mirroring, as one direction would have a mirrored pre-walk and the other would not.

If you use the 'schedule' option on the debug menu (control d), in the Performance Events, in the characters schedule, it should show the actual animation names (although not the path) for the animations the character is playing - Door_StopStart01.CAF is in base - \AddOn\Base01\Data\Puppets\Male01\Animations\Interact, for example. It also uses Door_StopStart01_MIRRORED.CAF from the same folder.

If you do not mind, I would be happy to look at your work in progress addon with Cory; it would probably make it easier to see what is happening with the pointing and arms at the start of the walking. Possibly PM me with a link, if you want me to do so.

"Does it make a difference which direction the character it walking in..." Yes; problematic only on 180 turns via his right side. A 180 turn via his left arm (non-mirror i guess) works fine.
No problems on any of the regular turns variations. EG. Turn 90 degree etc..
fixed after properties file edit... fixing up a typo on matching a right arm with a right arm.... opps...

I took another close look at the Male01/Female01/3DT_Danny Properties files. OH I missed the mistake made in the male01/female01 properties file that i didn't follow...

I'll have to use the funny setup of the forearm = the upperArm etc.???? if i want the pointing to work...
\EG:
L_UPPER_ARM=Bip01 L Clavicle .... forearm = upperarm....

I 'gave it a go' and fixed my typo of right equaling right on the arms, re-did the prewalk file then:

Danny looks at and points without any trouble now:

Point at isn't that pretty: no finger pointing pose : shoulder mesh deflation and a bit of a twist ... could be a little more subtle. I do have a twist bone in the arms and legs of Danny and the fingers names are slightly different.

What I'm liking, the look at has a great range of features that can be tweaked in-game.

The Cory skeleton has same names and layout as danny but with a few less featured bones.... so in theory the properties file should be easy to fix.

--------------
"If you use the 'schedule' option on the debug menu (control d), in the Performance Events, in the characters schedule, it should show the actual animation names"

Yes, I've found it very helpful with animations,memory usage and overall animations/props overhead in the system, though occasionally it does stop working sometimes... and have to restart MS.

Yes, There was no information on what mirror animation data did in-game, though i can keep track of all the animations and interactions; A great troubleshooter....and will use it a lot when developing active animations.

Next Step ;-) Cory and Danny learns to expression themselves a little more, walk through some doors and then take a rest on some chairs and play dress-up