• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

First problem I've had in awhile. I reformatted my HD 'bout a month ago (all my mods are on an external HD) and today decided to reinstall Sketchup 6 to pop out a quick missle that I needed. Went to import it in the mod shop and got...

Sketchup Import Error
Can't Locate or Initialise SketchupReader.dll

Never got that before. Got same msg on other models that I've imported successfully previously as well. Anybody got any ideas? :roll: Do I need to install Sketchup 7?

#2 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:02 PM

I suspect the error is not related to your installation of Sketchup as the dll file is used by apps that read Sketchup files.

I've done a search on my machine for the dll file, and it's here:

C:\Program Files\Moviestorm Release\lib\native\win32\SketchupReader.dll

I suggest you have a look in that directory on your machine to see if the dll is where Moviestorm expects to find it. If it isn't there, use the attached version of the file (from my MS 1.1.4) and see if that will fix it.

#3 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:16 AM

Did you reinstall the C runtime environment?

I think it is a requirement for the sketchup reader dll.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#4 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

Ben, I could have sworn I did install runtime but went ahead and reinstalled a fresh version direct x. No change.

Ed, I checked and the dll file is there. Went ahead and placed yours just in case and no change. Still same error.

Appreciate the attempt.

#5 johnnie

johnnie

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 860 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

The easiest way to get that DLL is to install the Microsoft Visual c++ runtime library.
Johnnie Ingram
Co-Author, Machinima For Dummies

QUOTE (The Overcast @ July 23 2006)

#6 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

I'm off to work but will install it this evening. Will let ya know. Thanks, Johnnie!

#7 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

Nope. Installed c++ runtime and no change. I'll play around with it, perhaps even reinstall MS in a few days after I get this next episode of SQ released this weekend. If not resolved, I think I can rely on the Mad Modder himself to help with some needed props for future episodes. Appreciate the suggestions!

#8 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Update: Couldn't get the importer working through the weekend. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling runtime, no change. At a loss, but should be able to import the old fashion way (nbconvert).

#9 ed

ed

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

It's a long shot and bit of a faff (but as you've had no joy in resolving the problem thus far, possibly worth a go) you could try uninstalling both the c++ runtime thing *and* Moviestorm, re-booting the machine and then installing both again.

#10 reptor7

reptor7

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1299 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Just finished reinstalling MS and no change. Thanks, ed, I need to stop playing with it and move on as I have sets to build & SFX to consider for my next production. At least I can still import props thanks to the nbconverter (just a wee bit more work). I'll take another look in the future.

The show must go on! :mrgreen:

#11 cyntax

cyntax

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (reptor7 @ Apr 9 2009, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just finished reinstalling MS and no change. Thanks, ed, I need to stop playing with it and move on as I have sets to build & SFX to consider for my next production. At least I can still import props thanks to the nbconverter (just a wee bit more work). I'll take another look in the future.

The show must go on! :mrgreen:

FIXED! biggrin.gif

I had exactly the same problem and it's to do with the C++ redistributable as BEN S has said, however...

Use VS2005 SP1 MS VS2005 C++
Once installed, find the Sketchupreader.dll, change into that directory and type:
REGSVR32 SKETCHUPREADER.DLL
This will register the DLL in the system. (You must be in the same location as the DLL to register it)

The reason the sketchupreader.dll is failing is due to failed dependancies. Doing the above worked for me.
Although I did download the VS2005 non SP1 first.. which you can find here as well.
VS2005 C++ (Original NOT SP1)

However I found that it would register the DLL once i had install VS2005 C++ SP1. so try that one first, otherwise, non-sp1 and then SP1 and finally regsvr32 the dll, job's a good 'un

smile.gif