• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:27 AM

I have attached the mod to this forum post as I haven't had much luck contacting the Modding Site operators.

This Pack has Sliders for manipulating characters and creating special effects. It should be stated up front that future changes to the MovieStorm program could break these props.

There are 9 sliders in this pack:

The following are invisible to the camera and used for movement or effects:

Single_Slider
Long_Slider
Sedan_Slider
Sedan_SliderN (Not Scalable)
SizerSlider (For changing a characters size)

The remaining sliders are props:

SkateboardNSlider
HoverSliderS (Silver Single Person)
HoverSlider0S (OverSized- Multiple People)
HoverSliderN (Orange Single Person)

You should know in advance that once the actor is on the slider they cannot move off it or navigate on it. Generally, they work by clicking on an actor not on the set, then the slider and selecting "place here".

The Sedan_Sliders are designed to make it easier to position 4 actors in a Police Cruiser size car. They will also work easily with actors in the front seat of any size car and could probably be positioned for backseat passengers in smaller cars but I haven't tried this. More details on it's use can be found in the Sedan_Slider readme. I would recommend using the Sedan_SliderN (N at the end)as it was a late addition to the pack and it just works better then the Sedan_Slider. I left the Sedan_Slider in the pack because it is Scaleable and it might be used with some larger vehicles.

Single_Slider use:
It can be used with a green screen with a person lying down on it and the camera shooting from above to simulate falling.

I also may a weird jumping motion by elevating the slider and dragging it incrementally along the timeline. Each time I stopped the dragging motion resulted in the actor touching down on the ground.(On second thought, maybe not. I haven't had success re-creating this)

You can also simulate a skiing motion which would be nice if someone modded some ski's.

Long_Slider use:
This could be used to simulate multiple people on a treadway people mover.

It also can used to manipulate an actor in a quick whip-like motion or a slow arcing motion that is similar to someone riding a skateboard. I modded a skateboard but it can't be stacked onto the long slider to create this effect.

SizerSlider - Any change in the size will also effect any character placed on it, before or after the size change.

Skateboard - A character can be placed on it and moved in the same fashion as a vehicle by clicking on it and holding down the shift key and dragging.

HoverSliders - A character can be placed on it and moved in the same fashion as a vehicle by clicking on it and holding down the shift key and dragging. They can also be dragged into the sky by holding down Shift and Control at the same time to simulate flying. The Hoversliders seem to be able to only have a character placed on them in the front half. (In reality all the sliders can elevate but the HoverSliders are designed to look like Hoverboards)

As of the release date of this pack there are videos of some of these effects on my movie page. I may take them down or condense and move them in the future.

My discovery of the slider mod concept originated with Rampa so please include credit for Rampa and Nahton in your movie for this mod. I would also like to thank Davidwww, Zuckerman, D. L. Watson and Poulet Noir for the assistance and advice they provided during the development of this pack. I'd also like to thank Jorge for suggesting the Hoverboard might be a good idea.

EDIT - Being a noob modder and somewhat sleep deprived at the time, I posted a zipped file of my MS directory addon folder instead of the packed addon with the additional screenshots and readme's zipped into it. I'll try to sort it all out and upload the packed addon when I get home and have a high speed onnection.

EDIT (2/26) - I've rezipped the download file to include a properly packed addon with the readme's and screenshots.

EDIT (3/4) - Replaced download with Version 1.02 - Fixed Sedan_SliderN to make it invisible to camera.

NOTE (2/10/12): I have not done any recent quality control testing on this mod. Due to Moviestorm code changes the SizerSlider does not work. Last I checked the scalable feature could cause performance or video corruption issues so be forewarned should you choose to try using it.

Nahton

Attached Files

#2 squadronfilms

squadronfilms

Director

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:37 AM

Thank you very much, will have a play with them later cool.gif
Paul Firmin-IMDB
Producer/Director
Squadron Films

#3 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:50 AM

Great work!

Many thanks to you and Rampa.

#4 squadronfilms

squadronfilms

Director

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

Ok noob question here, how do i install this thing? I unzipped the file but there was not add on file to install? Do i just copy the contents into my directory? I've tryed that before with other mods and they have not worked
Paul Firmin-IMDB
Producer/Director
Squadron Films

#5 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

It looks like its not packed you just have to unzip it to your Moviestorm/addons folder and your done.

Regards
Davidwww

QUOTE (Nahton @ Feb 25 2010, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should know in advance that once the actor is on the slider they cannot move off it or navigate on it. Generally, they work by clicking on an actor not on the set, then the slider and selecting "place here".

The Character should be able to walk around within the confines of the slider it self.
Very nice work on this addon Nahton, congrats biggrin.gif

Regards
David

Moviestorm still Number One

#6 apostolos

apostolos

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

Many,many,many thanks to you. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

#7 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

I re-edited my original post but in case anyone missed I wanted to provide this clarification:

Being a noob modder and somewhat sleep deprived at the time, I posted a zipped file of my MS directory addon folder instead of the packed addon with the additional screenshots and readme's zipped into it. I'll try to sort it all out and upload the packed addon when I get home and have a high speed connection.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has been able to get the zipped file to work.

#8 apostolos

apostolos

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

yes it does for me. I unzipped right into the ADDON directory and viola. rolleyes.gif

#9 ptn

ptn

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

Congratulations Nahton. You have done very well and thank you. I have experimented with a windy course and corners - that proves to be a little more difficult to get right. I can't wait for the day when the moviestorm car can do as your slider can do.

#10 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (ptn @ Feb 26 2010, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulations Nahton. You have done very well and thank you. I have experimented with a windy course and corners - that proves to be a little more difficult to get right. I can't wait for the day when the moviestorm car can do as your slider can do.

Thanks Ptn,

I didn't get to the point of providing all the tips I intended in the Readme. The only way I could cut a sharper corner was to move the time bar ahead to break the green track and start dragging it in a different direction using the shift key. Holding control to corner does not seem to work so well. I then would slide the second green track to butt up as closely as possible to the first one. This causes a slow down in movement but you can use different camera angles or cuts to work around it. It could also be sped up in outside editing.

Nahton

#11 ptn

ptn

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

Sorry for my 'dumbness' Nahton, but are you describing how to match up both the car and slider paths - when it comes to cornering?

#12 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (ptn @ Feb 26 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for my 'dumbness' Nahton, but are you describing how to match up both the car and slider paths - when it comes to cornering?

I'm the dummy blink.gif

I was talking about the HoverSliders but neglected to say so. I've only done straight lines with the car.

#13 ptn

ptn

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:16 AM

Your not the dummy...

Is there anyway to join up the car path with the slider path? This might sound like a silly idea - but in an effort to marry the slider and car movement on a curve path - Is it possible to copy and paste a path - then reassign it to another object???? (Now I'm getting confused!)

#14 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (ptn @ Feb 27 2010, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your not the dummy...

Is there anyway to join up the car path with the slider path? This might sound like a silly idea - but in an effort to marry the slider and car movement on a curve path - Is it possible to copy and paste a path - then reassign it to another object???? (Now I'm getting confused!)

Hi ptn,

Unfortunately, I believe they each move independently. I haven't actually tried to line them up together on a curve. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it seems to keep them in synch on a straight line. In reality it may be just easier to use the straight line movement for in car close-ups and shoot cars turning in a way that don't reveal the occupants.

Nahton

#15 ptn

ptn

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:16 AM

Yes, Nahton, I think you are right. I appreciate your time. ptn

#16 Poulet Noir

Poulet Noir

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1136 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:56 AM

Yay, great to see this mod released into the wild tongue.gif

PN

"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

#17 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

I just wanted to share a SizerSlider screenshot to show the effect.

This is in Director's View and the sliders are invisible to the camera.

#18 ptn

ptn

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

Yet another query - Is it possible to attach (or stack) the car onto the slider? That way the car and the passenger would always be together. Straight or in a complex curved path....

#19 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (ptn @ Feb 27 2010, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet another query - Is it possible to attach (or stack) the car onto the slider? That way the car and the passenger would always be together. Straight or in a complex curved path....

ptn,

Davidwww has advised me that Ben_S has indicated that is not possible to have props stack on each other and have the stacked one move with the other. I can tell you I tried that but the car would stay in place when I dragged the slider.

#20 ptn

ptn

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Nahton. Hopefully Moviestorm addresses the issue with people driving cars and everybody will be happy. At least I will anyway - for what it's worth...